Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:31 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think that was villageidiot1's point! They should have put the seniors in early, then taken out all but the starters.

My kids' HS gymnastics coach did similar.
We must be talking insignificant schools or things have totally changed if that's the case. Protocol was to start the best players, get a lead and then sprinkle seniors in here and there. Same with college. If the game was out of reach, then the non-starters got more time. Winning always took precedence over feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

What colleges are giving non-starters playing time at the beginning of the game?
I've witnessed it with Division II and III teams. It seems like I have seen some DI basketball teams do it, but I can't say for sure. Being down by 2 or 4 points in a basketball game is easier than being down by a touchdown in football.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've witnessed it with Division II and III teams. It seems like I have seen some DI basketball teams do it, but I can't say for sure. Being down by 2 or 4 points in a basketball game is easier than being down by a touchdown in football.
That makes sense. I can't imagine that being adopted into a Division 1 program, though.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
Its H.S. crunch time. a game that close, with playoff spots up for grabs you can't take a series and give the opponent a huge advantage by putting in kids that aren't as good.

I mean if your in Latrobe or something where they have been out of the running for a month thats one thing, but if you are in a really good school district(for fb anyway) or even a borderline playoff team or something you just can't do that in games that are that close. You just can't

Old 10-29-2016, 12:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
We must be talking insignificant schools or things have totally changed if that's the case. Protocol was to start the best players, get a lead and then sprinkle seniors in here and there. Same with college. If the game was out of reach, then the non-starters got more time. Winning always took precedence over feelings.
I'm talking senior recognition night only.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm talking senior recognition night only.
Even then it's an insignificant school that's going to do that. Senior recognition night or not, if you're a significant program and you're not a starter, you're not seeing a snap unless your team is winning big or losing big.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Its H.S. crunch time. a game that close, with playoff spots up for grabs you can't take a series and give the opponent a huge advantage by putting in kids that aren't as good.

I mean if your in Latrobe or something where they have been out of the running for a month thats one thing, but if you are in a really good school district(for fb anyway) or even a borderline playoff team or something you just can't do that in games that are that close. You just can't
Exactly.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Last summer he didn't attend football camp as he was in basic training for the national guard as a junior. He returned to school to finish high school and since then, he has barely played.
[...]
the star players are the drinkers and the pot takers. The regular straight kids who don't drink or smoke are the ones who are the practice buddies for these star players and the punching bags for these kids.
If the popular kids are drinkers and druggies, they may have learned that behavior at home from their old hippie parents. And such parents might still think of the military as uncool. ROTC was a very dirty word in their baby boomer youth. Some -- most, in fact -- of my favorite Vietnam protesters hailed from the South Hills.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If the popular kids are drinkers and druggies, they may have learned that behavior at home from their old hippie parents. And such parents might still think of the military as uncool. ROTC was a very dirty word in their baby boomer youth. Some -- most, in fact -- of my favorite Vietnam protesters hailed from the South Hills.
When hasn't there been drinkers and pot smokers in high school, and especially at most every party?

It seems that some just don't know the extreme importance put on high school football. Whether one can understand it or not or thinks it's right or wrong, the best players play and the emphasis is all on winning. Is it extreme? Yes it is but that's football at the high school, college, and pro levels.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

but you have to admit, anyone labeling them as 'pot takers' does not exactly have their finger on the pulse of h.s. culture so , im going to take her totally made up point that the star players are a bunch of bad kids with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh