Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:21 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
The death rate is still higher than the birth rate, but there has been a net influx of people from elsewhere that has kind of kept the population trend flat recently. Which means that people are moving to Pittsburgh. The state and city could do a whole lot more to be business friendly though to help produce stronger job and wage growth.
Not doubting it, but could you provide some examples as to what the city could do to be more business friendly, or perhaps how they are currently not business friendly? Is it simply taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
Speaking strictly for my immediate neighborhood (not just the Northside, but more specifically Spring Hill, Spring Garden, and Deutschtown) -- I don't want it to grow too fast. Right now we are seeing properties getting fixed up and sold on the market at a very reasonable rate; the streets are getting better but the locals are not getting "priced out" and rentals are not being razed so that developers can do quick flips. The empty shells are gradually being fixed up by thoughtful, responsible local architects and contractors. We have some new businesses coming in, like the Wigle Barrelhouse and their new expansion, Spring Hill Brewing with their bee-keeping and gardening plans, and the new coffee shop planned for Chestnut Street in 2017. That's plenty for us. I don't want a boom town here; I want a sustainable community driven by local investment, and that's exactly what I'm seeing.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Can we stop calling Pittsburgh "da Burgh" like some cheesy visit Pittsburgh ad....... Such an annoying term and I've lived within the city limits my entire life.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 10-30-2016 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Can we stop calling Pittsburgh "da Burgh" like some cheesy visit Pittsburgh ad....... Such an annoying term and I've lived within the city limits my entire life.
THANK YOU. I've only been here since 2013 and didn't want to say anything.

I do like to call it Pgh in writing, though.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urb...?client=safari

I like it. Been hearing it for decades/as long as I can remember. Can't outgrow it.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 8 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
While it is a legitimate question, I don't think it really matters. Pittsburgh is already a large city, it has so much history and character. It is one of the most affordable metros. Truth be told, it is a gritty city that will do fine and continue to be a major cultural and economic center. Pittsburgh doesn't need to grow, it already is a complete, remarkable, top city.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foslrock View Post
20 years from now you will either have less people and neighborhoods disappear and decay completely or you will have growth with new cookie cutter architecture with a surge in out of towners
I don't think it's either/or in my case. We're aiming for a middle ground in my neighborhood, with maybe a 20% increase in residents over the course of the next 10 years -- we don't want less people, that's for sure, but there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to build "cookie cutter architecture" on the North side. People who want that are not going to be interested in this neighborhood anyway. We're getting a good mix of both out-of-towners and longtime Pittsburghers here, and I think that's healthy too.

Of course there's more to Pittsburgh than just my neighborhood, but I think it would help this thread if people were a little more specific about what area(s) they have in mind when they post.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

I like it. Been hearing it for decades/as long as I can remember. Can't outgrow it.
No one calls it "da Burgh". It's "tha Burgh". Quit trying to copy Chicago.

As for Pittsburgh's growth, Pittsburgh has a huge elderly population. These folks are dying at such a high rate now, that their deaths are offsetting births, and in-migration. When this demographic finishes passing on, the population will begin to rise.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:44 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
As for Pittsburgh's growth, Pittsburgh has a huge elderly population. These folks are dying at such a high rate now, that their deaths are offsetting births, and in-migration. When this demographic finishes passing on, the population will begin to rise.
IIRC births now outnumber deaths in the city proper, and we're only a few year away from the transition happening in Allegheny County as well. Every single outlying county (including Butler, which is normally considered the "healthy exurb") still has more deaths than births per year however.

From the 2010-2014 period, Allegheny, Butler, Washington, and Beaver counties had net domestic in-migration, but Westmoreland, Armstrong, and Fayette counties are having a net loss via domestic migration.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
No one calls it "da Burgh". It's "tha Burgh". Quit trying to copy Chicago.

You're confusing the SNL "da Bears" skit. It was da 'burgh before the 1985 Bears.

I expect it will replace those that die at a pretty closely equal rate and only higher if/when more desirable jobs come it's way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh