Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 PM

367 posts, read 621,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero4 View Post
We need to keep hipsters outta our city before Pittsburgh turns into an overpriced Seattle!
An overpriced Seattle? I'm not sure Pittsburgh will ever see the cost of living that Seattle sees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 16,037 times
Default Help!!!!

I am moving from NC to Pittsburg. Help!!!
We have looked in different areas and have found houses that we like. Then we were told that the schools were aweful. I have two daughters one that is in second and one that is in 6th. I am so scared of making the wrong choice and putting them somewhere where they would be scared but also underchallenged. I have no clue as to what to do. My husband has a job in Pitcarin but does not want to live there. I love Mt Washington area. Could you please tell me who I need to talk to. I am sooo lost.
Thank you
Mel

Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Mt. Washington is not the area for those wanting good schools.

Where will your husband be working? How long of a commute do you want? What type of neighborhood vibe do you want?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaScearce View Post
I am moving from NC to Pittsburg. Help!!!
We have looked in different areas and have found houses that we like. Then we were told that the schools were aweful. I have two daughters one that is in second and one that is in 6th. I am so scared of making the wrong choice and putting them somewhere where they would be scared but also underchallenged. I have no clue as to what to do. My husband has a job in Pitcarin but does not want to live there. I love Mt Washington area. Could you please tell me who I need to talk to. I am sooo lost.
Thank you
Mel
First off, PittsburgH.

Secondly, if your husband's job is in Pitcairn, why not live there or in Monroeville? The Gateway SD, while not what it used to be, is still pretty good. You could find a cheap place to rent or buy in Pitcairn-Monroeville. Your 2nd grade daughter could walk to school.

Living in Mt. Washington and driving to Pitcairn is nuts, IMHO.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM

I missed that his job is in Pitcairn. I totally agree that it would be insane for them to buy in Mt. Washington and commute to Pitcairn.

I think they should hop the county border into Westmoreland County and find a house in the Hempfield School District.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I missed that his job is in Pitcairn. I totally agree that it would be insane for them to buy in Mt. Washington and commute to Pitcairn.

I think they should hop the county border into Westmoreland County and find a house in the Hempfield School District.
Mt. Washington isn't that far from Pitcairn and traffic would be going the other way. Who they heck wants to live in the sticks? Why not have a view to enjoy while sipping on some wine?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
If the OP doesn't mind suburban living and it's withing their budget, I'd suggest North Huntingdon or Murrysville. Better schools, lower taxes, 15-25 min. commute to Pitcarin depending on where you settle. You can be downtown in 25 min. on the weekends or non-rush hr traffic if you are located close to the turnpike in NHT or near Rte. 22/Parkway East in Murrysville.

But, if you insist on city living (with higher wage tax [3% vs. 1%], higher property taxes, more congestion), then I'd try to be on the east side of the squirrel hill tunnels to make life easier. Even though you are reverse commuting, many times, the inbound squirrel hill tunnels are backed up for the evening rush and it gets just as bad as morning rush if there is a Pens game or Pirates game that evening.

In Allegheny Co., Plum isn't too bad, or even Monroeville. I'd avoid Mckeesport and North Versailles if you could, just based on the schools.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Pitcairn to Mt. Washington during rush hour is nuts. The bigger question, What job did you get in Pitcairn???

Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Pitcairn to Mt. Washington during rush hour is nuts. The bigger question, What job did you get in Pitcairn???
LMAO!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 15,198 times
Question Relocate to Pittsburgh?e

Am retiring next year I live in the Pacific NW, but my son and grandchildren live in Pittsburgh - From what I can surmise, Pittsburgh has similar ugly winters like eastern Wa.

My dilemma is this - would like a no or little snow winter, but be a short flight to Pittsburgh. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh