U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 PM

660 posts, read 447,450 times
Most alts here are run down and not worth the money, if you find something nice, its going to cost way too much...home rentals are the way to go, so many here can't sell their home and have resorted to renting them out...where I lived a few years ago, there were two beautiful homes on a prime street for rent for under 1500 a month, homes that could very well sell for over 300 grand...and if you look, you see others but you have to do your homework!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 AM

10,732 posts, read 6,654,339 times
Just can't stand seeing the name of that last post, so I am saying hello.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 2,733,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Just can't stand seeing the name of that last post, so I am saying hello.
Points administered.

All caps. Shouty. Ugly. Thanks (I thought it was just me).

Old 12-31-2011, 09:01 PM

32 posts, read 60,181 times
Default A quick guide for newbies...

Moving to Pittsburgh? Pros and Cons....

PROS

Great sports town, lots of food joints, beautiful skyline, hometown values, new construction, great parks, great museums, lots of outdoor opportunities, Heinz ketchup, Yuengling beer, Kennywood, good shopping, great hospitals, great universities, distinct neighborhoods, nice airport, hidden gems, proximity to major population centers, decent cost of living....

CONS

Traffic, pollution, GRAY weather, steep, narrow roads + ice = disaster, old population, Social Democrat Party control, certain groups/neighborhoods out of control with crime, unreliable utilities, water & sewer system in need of billions in upgrades, not many jobs, declining population, high taxes, most people have never left the area, lousy public transportation, cramped, expensive parking, the Pirates and...the GRAY weather.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
LVV

3 posts, read 3,544 times
This is SO nice!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 AM

43 posts, read 38,277 times
Default Moving to the Pittsburgh area

My wife and I are new to this. We have tried to post questions on where to live, but did not get any response... maybe because we did not post it correctly. I found this thread to be very helpful and now believe we can make an informed decision on moving.

We are moving early August. We still have the opportunity to work in Beaver, Monroeville, or Latrobe area... not sure which would be better for us. We have three boys 1,2, and 8. We are currently living in Maine (very rural) so I think my wife is missing, and wanting to be closer to shopping, arts, theatre, and just culture things once again. I know I have no chance in this dream, but I would like to purchase season tickets for the Steelers, or Penguins... I know... quit dreaming.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
My wife and I are new to this. We have tried to post questions on where to live, but did not get any response... maybe because we did not post it correctly. I found this thread to be very helpful and now believe we can make an informed decision on moving.

We are moving early August. We still have the opportunity to work in Beaver, Monroeville, or Latrobe area... not sure which would be better for us. We have three boys 1,2, and 8. We are currently living in Maine (very rural) so I think my wife is missing, and wanting to be closer to shopping, arts, theatre, and just culture things once again. I know I have no chance in this dream, but I would like to purchase season tickets for the Steelers, or Penguins... I know... quit dreaming.
What do you mean you didn't get any response? Duplicate threads each with lots of responses! Please stick to one place with your question. If people start answering this here it'll be THREE places.

Folks, please help ocndvr in this thread of his where he finally replied more recently: HELP... Moving to Western PA

Last edited by greg42; 03-13-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 21,179 times
This is an incredible and very informative thread
Thanks for this!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 1,349,233 times
A couple of observations to correct the record from the viewpoint of someone who moved here from the East Coast a decade ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick538 View Post
Moving to Pittsburgh? Pros and Cons....
PROS
Great sports town, lots of food joints, beautiful skyline, hometown values, new construction, great parks, great museums, lots of outdoor opportunities, Heinz ketchup, Yuengling beer, Kennywood, good shopping, great hospitals, great universities, distinct neighborhoods, nice airport, hidden gems, proximity to major population centers, decent cost of living....
Considering Yuengling is a fairly standard American lager brewed in Pottsville, which is east of Harrisburg towards Allentown, it's not much of a local attraction. Actual local breweries, like Penn Brewery, East End Brewing, Full Pint and several other new microbreweries make great product.

However, the other stuff is all good. In addition to the "food joints", actual ethnic and farm-to-table restaurant choices have improved dramatically in the past five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick538 View Post
CONS
Traffic, pollution, GRAY weather, steep, narrow roads + ice = disaster, old population, Social Democrat Party control, certain groups/neighborhoods out of control with crime, unreliable utilities, water & sewer system in need of billions in upgrades, not many jobs, declining population, high taxes, most people have never left the area, lousy public transportation, cramped, expensive parking, the Pirates and...the GRAY weather.
Anyone who remembers when the Social Democrat Party was a political force must be pushing 110 by now. Maybe that's what he meant by "old population"?

Plenty of jobs if you're in certain fields (tech, healthcare, finance, foodservice). Not much outside those concentrations though.

Personally have never had issues with utilities, but cable/internet bundle rates (Comcast/Verizon) are among the highest in the country, even without premium channels.

And the Pirates, or at least PNC Park, is a Pro. Great park, and better to have a losing team than no team at all, IMO.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM

10 posts, read 7,986 times
Smile Student Life in Pittsburgh

The experience of moving to Pittsburgh to become a student is a little bit different. I think that students (well, anyone really) moving to Pittsburgh ought to check out this video. It shows that Pittsburgh isn't an old steal town and what people actually do here.

LINK: Pittsburgh is Katz Ready. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh