Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 85,169 times

Advertisements

Our farm-to-table restaurant choices here are very overrated. Salt of the Earth - disappointingly overrated (unless duck ham is your thing...) Dinette - overrated (unless flatbread that tastes like cardboard is your thing...) 6 Penn is decent but PGH's health food and restaurant options are limited compared to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsMike View Post
Our farm-to-table restaurant choices here are very overrated. Salt of the Earth - disappointingly overrated (unless duck ham is your thing...) Dinette - overrated (unless flatbread that tastes like cardboard is your thing...) 6 Penn is decent but PGH's health food and restaurant options are limited compared to other cities.
While I've only lived within this beautiful city for a year-and-a-half I'm under the impression that this place used to really suck on just about every quality-of-life front as recently as one generation ago, so if we've gone from sub-par to "average" on some fronts that still seems like a massive improvement in the minds of most residents. Even in my humble opinion the overall road quality here has improved slightly in just the past two years, and I see many paving projects occurring as I type this.

I'm by no means a "foodie" (I'll defer to people like you and BrianTH for that designation), but when I do have a bit of discretionary income and spare time I have found there to be a more than sufficient array of great dining options in our fair city.

Also, if our "health food options" here are sorely lacking one need only look at the general populace for the reason why such ventures aren't very successful here. With all due respect while I really love most aspects of living here I've never seen such a dense concentration of smokers and/or obese individuals in my life---not exactly the types who are going to splurge on organic apple butter or whole-grain pita bread.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I wouldn't describe myself as a fully-fledged foodie, but I do like to try interesting new dishes, and I think it is undeniable that Pittsburgh's restaurant scene has gotten infinitely better by that measure over the last 20 years, and at an accelerating pace. That doesn't mean every new restaurant, and certainly not every dish they offer, is going to be a winner, but at this point I have a very long backlog of places and/or dishes I want to at least try.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM

27 posts, read 60,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
With all due respect while I really love most aspects of living here I've never seen such a dense concentration of smokers and/or obese individuals in my life---not exactly the types who are going to splurge on organic apple butter or whole-grain pita bread.
you haven't been to Houston, have you.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM

27 posts, read 60,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I have never heard Pittsburghers described as rude! But maybe they don't flash that fake smile like they do in Texas. As for crime - don't have time to look up detailed stats but Texas has some of the worst crime in the nation. Pittsburgh is a city known for low crime. I can see the weather and traffic argument but not the others.
I agree..everything i've been reading on Pittsburgh tells me that there is far less crime there than there is here in houston, or dallas, or (especially) san antonio. Austin probably has far less crime than houston and san antonio, but there are still some parts of it i'd avoid (but not many). Pittsburgh, surely, has some places to avoid (like most american cities), but i've noted far less of those spots than in comparable-sized cities in texas. Plus, there's a lot of "fake smiles" here in houston, compared to up north (very little up there). I'd rather take genuineness than fake, because when you get a smile (with the former), you can bet it comes from the heart.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,076 times
Talking Houston to Leechburg

My family and I moved here at the beginning of the month from Houston, TX to Leechburg. I'm 19, and about to start college at Penn State New Kensington. I have a few questions...
First, for anyone thats been to that campus, how is it? Do you like it? Are teachers good?
Also, is there any special way to make friends here? Back in Houston, I could walk into the donut shop and someone would start a conversation with me. Here, I haven't really been able to find any friends. I really would like to find someone to hang out with during the summer.
Lastly, how are small, part-time jobs in Leechburg and Freeport? I haven't had a chance to go out job searching yet, but I just wanted to know good places, the best way to find a job, etc etc.
And other information that seems useful about the Leechburg/Freeport area would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsMike View Post
You may not like duck ham, but I'm 100% positive there were seven other entree options whatever night you showed up. And whatever foodie cred you may think you have is destroyed on your Dinette comment.

That said, I suggest you try Spoon, Legume, Root 174, Cure or other options.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 16,570 times
I'm hoping a pittsburgh native can help my family. I'm looking for a safe, nice suburb that would be an easy route to Duquesne University.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzz View Post
I'm hoping a pittsburgh native can help my family. I'm looking for a safe, nice suburb that would be an easy route to Duquesne University.
You should start a thread on that topic to get the most response. I'm a newcomer myself and am still geographically challenged.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzz View Post
Somewhere in the South Hills? You could then just take the T into downtown and walk to Duquesne. Maybe Dormont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh