Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 22,316 times

Advertisements

Best way to find health and wellness referrals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 26,636 times
Hugh effort everyone. I plan to move in a few months to Pittsburgh and will attmpt to add to this sea of information about the city. This is my reference guide for the whole moving process right now...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 32,676 times
Does anyone have any info on international tank services. Good company or not

Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 AM

580 posts, read 1,415,181 times
Hello Pittsburgh

I've had 2 job offers in Pittsburgh but have a few questions I would like to ask about the area. I am from New Orleans so if I accept I will be coming from a entirely different area and way of living. I've never been there before or through. The weather is not a threat to me, I believe I can handle that if the money pays. My concern is me and my significant other loves the nightlife New Orleans offers. Of course you know the move all night long all over the city. What I want to know is does Pittsburgh offer a downtown life geared with shopping and entertainment. Is there a entertainment district, restaurants and shopping downtown? All of this surrounded Downtown New Orleans. If there is anyone that can compare both based of their visit and/or experience it will be greatly appreciated. I am a young african-american 29 in age. Thanks for your assistance.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,780,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Hello Pittsburgh

I've had 2 job offers in Pittsburgh but have a few questions I would like to ask about the area. I am from New Orleans so if I accept I will be coming from a entirely different area and way of living. I've never been there before or through. The weather is not a threat to me, I believe I can handle that if the money pays. My concern is me and my significant other loves the nightlife New Orleans offers. Of course you know the move all night long all over the city. What I want to know is does Pittsburgh offer a downtown life geared with shopping and entertainment. Is there a entertainment district, restaurants and shopping downtown? All of this surrounded Downtown New Orleans. If there is anyone that can compare both based of their visit and/or experience it will be greatly appreciated. I am a young african-american 29 in age. Thanks for your assistance.
Not necessarily in Downtown, but yes, you can find all of that throughout the city. The South Side, Oakland and Strip District are big party spots with lots of restaurants. If you want more info, it'd be best to start a new thread. You may also want to get into with a girl named jinxd_13 on here. She just moved up here from New Orleans and seems to be loving it so far.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM

675 posts, read 2,088,517 times
Hello all, I made a google map pointing out all the spots that I know of in Pittsburgh where you can see the city skyline from, and attempted to put pictures there too so you can see what the view is like from each spot. Enjoy!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM

580 posts, read 1,415,181 times
Hey thanks! I really do appreciate that -

Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,167,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Hey thanks! I really do appreciate that -
Just to supplement what dugdogmaster said.

The Southside Flats is where you'll find an enormous concentration of bars and restaurants. The Strip District is an open air market during the day and our primary night club neighborhood at night. Oakland is our university and hospital district, but specializes in ethnic foods. At least on Friday and Saturday night, these neighborhoods should be open all night. Also, if you want nicer dining, check out Mt. Washington, which has a strip of fancy restaurants overlooking the city skyline.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 PM

15 posts, read 42,695 times
Default Unified transportation map?

My wife and I are considering Pittsburgh. One of the things that would help us enormously, since we don't plan on owning a car if possible, would be a unified geographically accurate transportation map of Pittsburgh plus any surrounding suburbs with direct transportation links.
We can't believe this doesn't exist somewhere!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 PM

285 posts, read 857,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldtowers View Post
My wife and I are considering Pittsburgh. One of the things that would help us enormously, since we don't plan on owning a car if possible, would be a unified geographically accurate transportation map of Pittsburgh plus any surrounding suburbs with direct transportation links.
We can't believe this doesn't exist somewhere!
I know Port Authority used to have one on their website, but that was years ago. They ran a sort of ad campaign aimed at students this fall, with maps showing how you could get to Oakland (where the University of Pittsburgh is located) from various neighborhoods popular with students, but that was nowhere near all inclusive, and only in print, I believe.

There's a discussion on this forum about living in Pittsburgh without a car:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ittsburgh.html

Also, you can go to Port Authority's website.
Hand Schedules

From the page I liked, you can search by neighborhood in general or specific route.

I have lived in the Oakland and Shadyside neighborhoods without a car, and really have no problem getting everywhere I want and need to go. Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions about living car-free in Pittsburgh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh