Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 52,203 times

Advertisements

This is wonderful. I'll be a resident in about two weeks and I know I'm going to print out this list and work my way down it. Here's my contribution:

www.wholisticpittsburgh.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:27 PM

15 posts, read 42,848 times
Default Transportation

Thanks very much!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 23,792 times
Default Moving from Long Island To Pittsburgh

Help! My husband and I and our 3 children are moving from Long Island to the Pittsburgh area. My husbands job is relocatting him to CMU. I would really love to get any imput as to the best places to live, great school districts. Being from LI we don't want anything that is too city or to rural. Close shopping, friendly neighbors, newer type houses...in the 200-300 range. School distrct is #1 as we have a special needs child. Can anyone help out there, especially if you moved also from Long Island?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM

74 posts, read 260,469 times
what about real estate companies out there?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Pittsburgh practically invented modern energy, and now Pittsburgh is on the cutting edge of solving the problems associated with that.

Online NewsHour | PBS

Online NewsHour | PBS

By the way, Braddock's mayor is the coolest dude ever! IMO
Great videos! I and agree that major is really cool guy...coolest mayor I've seen, by far!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19hsm View Post
what about real estate companies out there?
Howard Hanna is the areas/regions largest real estate agency. Just Google them for their website. There's also plenty of other smaller companies around, just Google "Pittsburgh Real Estate Agencies," or something similar. Sorry this reply is so late!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,171 times
Default Going home...

(This is my very first post to this site, and I hope I don't start out breaking rules! )Just wanted to say thanks for all the excellent info. in the guide, which includes many of the reasons I'm working hard to come back home. My husband & I are ready to retire at the end of this school year. We DON'T want to stay here (in the Maryland/Delaware area) and have been seriously looking at Pittsburgh for the last year, but I'm a little nervous as well, since I was 14 when my family moved to the Philadelphia suburbs,and obviously a whole lot has changed.
I've tried very hard not to do a hard sell on own family just because my roots have been in Pittsburgh for more than 200 years, and have repeatedly warned my two young adult children that all cities have good/bad points, etc. Have to tell you, however, that it just blew me away to see how much they liked the city during two very recent visits, and also how much hadn't changed over the years- most especially, the warmth of the people and the cultural and educational activities available. It even looks as if they might be able to find jobs in their fields (one biochemistry, the other in phlebotomy).
My husband and I will still want to work part-time, and I am worried about whether we'll be able to find jobs. My biggest worry right now is where to "light" at first. The kids need to be able to get to the university area fairly easily,but my family never lived that deep in the heart of the city, and I don't know the neighborhoods very well. I'm looking for a safe, middle class neighborhood, hopefully with tree-lined streets and older houses,to rent and/or buy. We'd rather have a fixer-upper,because we'll just change it anyway. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful. Go, Pittsburgh!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikehome? View Post
My biggest worry right now is where to "light" at first. The kids need to be able to get to the university area fairly easily,but my family never lived that deep in the heart of the city, and I don't know the neighborhoods very well. I'm looking for a safe, middle class neighborhood, hopefully with tree-lined streets and older houses,to rent and/or buy. We'd rather have a fixer-upper,because we'll just change it anyway. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful. Go, Pittsburgh!
Are you looking for neighborhoods within the city of Pittsburgh that fit that description? Look into Squirrel Hill and Shadyside.

If you want to live outside of the city but still be convenient to the university area, check out Aspinwall.

Aspinwall is just right across the Highland Park Bridge---10 to 15 minute commute to the universities.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-05-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
that 10 - 15 minutes is highly variable depending on traffic, it can easily take much longer.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 AM

46 posts, read 100,042 times
Mt lebanon is a nice area to live in, low crime, charming homes and close to the city not to mention top rated schools...there is a middle class here and its more diverse than people give it credit for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh