Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,570 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking for advice on school districts in the areas above Pgh primarily close to 79. My husband will be commuting for a little while from the Erie area.

I have a twins that are 10 years old. One of them with special needs. I am looking for a school district that has a strong special needs department.

We are currently in a blue ribbon school district and if you do not excel academically or athletically, you get left behind.

I have looked at online at North Allegheny, Pine Richland, Seneca Valley, Hampton and Mars. Would love to hear from parents with experience with the special needs departments in any of these districts..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 06:03 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I don't have personal experience but my niece's and nephews go to Mars, they love everything about it. If you are purchasing your house the tax rate will be alot less.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,570 times
Thank you guy2073. Very Helpful

Old 11-07-2016, 06:04 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
I do know that about 10 years ago, many families were moving into the Pine-Richland School District because of their excellent reputation for meeting the specialized needs of their children. I am not certain that if is the case today, but it may be worthwhile for you to possibly explore.

From a personal vantage point, my son graduated from North Allegheny Schools 4 years ago. He was initially diagnosed as being on the "autism spectrum" (formerly called Asperger's Syndrome). He received a superior education, and when he graduated, he had a full-time, livable-wage job awaiting him. Career planning and vocational training were geared to his strengths, and he is very successful. I cannot say enough positives about the educational, social, and extracurricular opportunities that were afforded to him throughout his years in North Allegheny. I would highly recommend that you consider NA as a possible option for your family, as well.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:55 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
You didnt mention if you were looking for a place to buy/rent and any price concerns. There are alot of great districts up and down 79, larger schools tend to have more services available but some of the smaller schools can still offer more personal/direct assistance. I know our kid's school (Avonworth) has at times had to bring in a special needs teacher to work one on one to meet demand.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:20 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I have heard NA and Mars are both great schools. Know friends that go to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh