Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:33 PM

22 posts, read 53,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was wondering if I would be ok, being a single guy in the burgh on about 45k a year? That's the average that most of the jobs I have interviewed for have been. I really don't have any outstanding debt, except student loans, so will this wage be ok in Pittsburgh for me? Enough to get an apt in a decent area and have a bit of a life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
While it isn't an exorbitant amount of money, to be honest, I think you will live quite comfortably in the Burgh on 45k a year. I have many friends whole live fairly well off making less.

If you are confidant you can get a job that pays that in Burgh, I'd most definitely consider it.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:48 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
Why wouldn't it be? My husband has been offered an 79 grand/year and I am a SAHM and we are also raising a child as well and we live very well. In fact we live in a higher cost of living area now than we will be when we move back to PGH, what makes you think your not be able to get a decent place to live?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Unless you have some ridiculously expensive habits, that will be more than enough. You just haven't given us quite enough information about your expectations to get a definitive answer.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmciszewski View Post
Hi all, I was wondering if I would be ok, being a single guy in the burgh on about 45k a year? That's the average that most of the jobs I have interviewed for have been. I really don't have any outstanding debt, except student loans, so will this wage be ok in Pittsburgh for me? Enough to get an apt in a decent area and have a bit of a life?
You'll be fine, thats about what I make, and then we have my fiance's salary on top of mine.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I make less than 45K/year (I won't say how much, because it is sad,) and live very comfortably. I bought a house last year.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Unless you have some ridiculously expensive habits, that will be more than enough. You just haven't given us quite enough information about your expectations to get a definitive answer.
Not really, some video games and movie rentals, I was just worried about rent, grocery costs, etc. I am about two credits shy of a culinary arts degree, so I can make something out of nothing, but I am also a pretty big grab lunch on the go at the office person, and that was what worried me. I live off of about 25k a year where I live now and am pretty comfortable, but that's in the northern panhandle of WV. Just trying to get an idea on the boost of the cost of living between the two areas.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Why wouldn't it be? My husband has been offered an 79 grand/year and I am a SAHM and we are also raising a child as well and we live very well. In fact we live in a higher cost of living area now than we will be when we move back to PGH, what makes you think your not be able to get a decent place to live?
Mainly the fact that I have no idea how much the cost of living in the burgh is. Right now I am looking at single bedrooms for about 650. Where does anyone recommend for a single guy that will probably travel to his hometown every other weekend and it's fairly quiet (not into the whole party til 4 work at 8 scene, rather stay home and watch Lost)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmciszewski View Post
Not really, some video games and movie rentals, I was just worried about rent, grocery costs, etc. I am about two credits shy of a culinary arts degree, so I can make something out of nothing, but I am also a pretty big grab lunch on the go at the office person, and that was what worried me. I live off of about 25k a year where I live now and am pretty comfortable, but that's in the northern panhandle of WV. Just trying to get an idea on the boost of the cost of living between the two areas.
From the way you describe your lifestyle- you are going to have no problem whatsoever. The cost of living around here isn't THAT much higher than the Northern Panhandle. You'll probably even be able to set money aside for some future purpose.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM

29 posts, read 67,884 times
Tell you what man. I am just getting by on 45k. That's roughly 1350 on a bi-monthly paycheck. If you don't have any car payments, credit card payments, insurance, loans, etc. you should be fine. but if you start accumulating those things, it can be a squeeze. Try to find someone to share the bills with you. Get a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh