Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times

Advertisements

It's not like 376 isn't the way to another major transportation piece for the metro either.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
What makes think widening or lane expansion solves anything? More lanes just makes people drive more, it's called induced traffic and it's very real and very ignored. There is a reason why Atlanta is a sprawling mess, and a lot of it has to do with your logic. If you build bigger roads people feel more comfortable living further away creating more traffic.
Where in the orginial post is there "widening"? Ramp extension is safety improvements not widening. Might want to open your eyes beyond your tunnel vision.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:13 AM

96 posts, read 73,579 times
Looking at the cost estimates, the Carnegie project is the lowest and will probably just see ramp extensions rather than a major reconfiguration.

They are going to build the new ramp to 376 EB which is sorely needed, and I am guessing the majority of the money will go towards this new ramp and bridge as mentioned in the OP. The new bridge will be needed to carry this ramp around one of the supports for the train trestle before traffic can merge (as the OP mentioned, it will obviously be extended to meet up with the climbing/exit lane for Greentree.

Also the more I think about Banksville, I think it's more likely we see flyover ramps from the Parkway to both directions on 51, and leaving the existing merge in place for Banksville Road before the tunnels. It will be interesting to see how they reroute 51 westbound traffic into the tunnels for example, since right now it's kind of crazy.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 AM

436 posts, read 343,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Good news for suburban drivers. Hope it's worth the $110mm+ it will cost, unfortunately highway improvements only induce more traffic so don't get too excited.

One of the many statements I've come up with in regards to driving here is, "you can make every road and highway here ten lanes in each direction, but you'll never see a true change unless people start focusing on simply keeping traffic moving"

Old 12-20-2016, 10:35 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
Looking at the cost estimates, the Carnegie project is the lowest and will probably just see ramp extensions rather than a major reconfiguration.

They are going to build the new ramp to 376 EB which is sorely needed, and I am guessing the majority of the money will go towards this new ramp and bridge as mentioned in the OP. The new bridge will be needed to carry this ramp around one of the supports for the train trestle before traffic can merge (as the OP mentioned, it will obviously be extended to meet up with the climbing/exit lane for Greentree.

Also the more I think about Banksville, I think it's more likely we see flyover ramps from the Parkway to both directions on 51, and leaving the existing merge in place for Banksville Road before the tunnels. It will be interesting to see how they reroute 51 westbound traffic into the tunnels for example, since right now it's kind of crazy.

51 EB and WB both have little reason to be directed in to the tunnels since they're either coming from the Liberty bridge tunnels direction or West Carson direction, both of which have access to Parkway East. Unless they plan to knock down that giant hill behind banksville highway, I think the only configuration that makes sense is a couple flyovers to minimize the merge/exiting traffic that bottlenecks the entrance to the tunnel. it doesn't fix everything, but adds another relief valve to the already convoluted mess.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
"you can make every road and highway here ten lanes in each direction, but you'll never see a true change unless people start focusing on simply keeping traffic moving"
You can focus on keeping traffic moving, but nothing will change as long as the highways are carrying almost double their designed capacity and have stop signs at the end of their on-ramps.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:57 AM

436 posts, read 343,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
You can focus on keeping traffic moving, but nothing will change as long as the highways are carrying almost double their designed capacity and have stop signs at the end of their on-ramps.

The only on ramps that cause problems are the ones where people create the make believe stop signs. There are so few ramps on that highway that have actual, physical stop signs, they aren't even worth commenting on. It's the people who slow to 20 mph or less to allow people to merge

Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
The only on ramps that cause problems are the ones where people create the make believe stop signs. There are so few ramps on that highway that have actual, physical stop signs, they aren't even worth commenting on. It's the people who slow to 20 mph or less to allow people to merge
One of the on-ramps with an actual stop sign seems to be among the ones scheduled for a re-vamp. It's the closest on-ramp to 376 near my house. I drive about a half mile or so further out of my way to use a merge style on-ramp with far better visibility.

One big difference I've noticed since moving here from CA is that many drivers are unclear on the concept of merging into traffic. I wonder if it's because those stop sign style on-ramps were more prevalent at one time?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
The only ramp with a stop sign I know about is the Squirrel Hill on-ramp eastbound. When I first moved here I went to get on the parkway and started speeding up and saw the stop sign at the last minute and ground to a halt. I didn't realize the on-ramp merged onto the exit ramp for oncoming traffic, which is probably why the stop sign is there. 1940s design technology, plus the fact that nobody lived beyond Wilkinsburg in those days meant less traffic.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:58 AM

540 posts, read 868,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The only ramp with a stop sign I know about is the Squirrel Hill on-ramp eastbound. When I first moved here I went to get on the parkway and started speeding up and saw the stop sign at the last minute and ground to a halt. I didn't realize the on-ramp merged onto the exit ramp for oncoming traffic, which is probably why the stop sign is there. 1940s design technology, plus the fact that nobody lived beyond Wilkinsburg in those days meant less traffic.
One of the Greentree on-ramps has a stop sign as well.

As I understand it, before the stop-sign ramp was built at Squirrel Hill, traffic merged directly from Beechwood Blvd. onto the parkway and vice-versa before the tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh