Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

"60 Minutes" on Sunday had a segment focused on August Wilson's "Fences," and the filming of the movie by Denzel Washington in Pittsburgh's Hill District.

Denzel Washington's "fourth-quarter" mission - CBS News

Washington intends to film all 10 of Wilson's Century Cycle of plays, which were inspired by life in the Hill District. The Century Series also is known as the Pittsburgh Cycle, and Washington's effort likely will raise Wilson's prominence, and make Pittsburgh a mecca for film lovers and those interested in the African American experience.

<<Wilson's Pittsburgh Cycle, also often referred to as his Century Cycle,[8] consists of ten plays—nine of which are set in Pittsburgh's Hill District (the other being set in Chicago), an African-American neighborhood that takes on a mythic literary significance like Thomas Hardy's Wessex, William Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, or Irish playwright Brian Friel's Ballybeg. The plays are each set in a different decade and aim to sketch the Black experience in the 20th century and "raise consciousness through theater” and echo "the poetry in the everyday language of black America".[4] He was fascinated by the power of theater as a medium where a community at large could come together to bear witness to events and currents unfolding.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August...ttsburgh_Cycle

Certainly this mammoth cinematic undertaking by Washington should raise the prominence of the August Wilson Center for African American Culture in Pittsburgh.

I wonder if the Heinz Center will produce an August Wilson exhibit, especially given its collaborations with the Smithsonian and the opening of the new Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.

It will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh's tourism industry also capitalizes on Wilson's increased stature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
I saw several of the plays locally and all were very entertaining. Lots of familiar references that let you know this is a Pittsburgh centered play. The movie opens Christmas Day and I cant wait to see it. The street cars and pre Civic arena Hill District fascinates me.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
We were lucky enough to see a few August Wilson plays at the Public Theater and Pittsburgh Playwright's Theater and they were incredible. Wilson's use of language is genius and he lures you in until you feel the emotions of every character.

Looking forward to seeing Fences and for more productions from Denzel Washington, hopefully filmed in Pittsburgh.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
"

It will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh's tourism industry also capitalizes on Wilson's increased stature.
I question how many locals have an interest in Mr. Wilson's plays. The initial failure of the August Wilson Center is a case in point. My wife and I have seen all the AW plays over the years. Hope Mr. Denzel is able to pull it off. Not all plays translate well onto the silver screen.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Although I don't think there will be much of a change in tourism due to this, I really hope it brings even more light to not only the amazing works of August Wilson, but hopefully also finally gets the restoration of his childhood home moving at a faster pace.

As a Pgh transplant, raised in the sticks with little knowledge of August Wilson, I have to say the trailers for this movie look great, and I am definitely going to see it next week while off of work for the holidays.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Looking forward to seeing this movie. Sure is getting a lot of national press.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
I live not far from the West End where they re-created old Centre Ave on South Main St. Some of my neighbors commute that way and posted photos of the transformed street complete with vintage cars. It was very cool. I belong to the YMCA on Centre Ave and a few members told me that Fences had been filming on their streets in the Hill District. Can't wait to see the movie.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:44 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I question how many locals have an interest in Mr. Wilson's plays. The initial failure of the August Wilson Center is a case in point. My wife and I have seen all the AW plays over the years. Hope Mr. Denzel is able to pull it off. Not all plays translate well onto the silver screen.
My introduction to August Wilson was in college. Hist play "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" was required reading for my History of Theater class. I liked his play.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Viola Davis wins Golden Globe

Viola Davis won the Golden Globes award for best supporting actress.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/0...list-2017.html

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
It was a fabulous movie. Viola Davis gave me chills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh