Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except the comparison is to Ohio who with just a short distance away has much cheaper fuel prices.
Ohio is neglecting its roads under the Republicans. The Republicans also leveraged the Ohio Turnpike to fund road projects throughout the state. This is a massive hidden tax on the northern Ohio economy.

The Republican no new tax pledges are deadly for infrastructure and deferred maintenance is a disaster. This is also an issue for the federal government, where the federal gasoline tax has fallen far behind inflation. It appears that the Trump infrastructure plan may depend on many more tolls.

Only after a series of serious chain reaction crashes on I-90 east of Cleveland, did the Ohio Department of Transportation step up road treatments and install new flashing reduced speed warnings on the most dangerous stretches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
The comments on social media local news pages about this as always, never fail to not showcase Western PA's dumbest citizens. There were too many to count who were blaming this on Wolf (despite it being signed into law by Corbett in 2013) and then when you'd point that out, they refuted he's the governor like he could he can get rid of the tax or a law whenever he wants. No you fools, a governor can't just change or repeal a law on their own as we have this thing called separation of powers in democratic nations so one branch of government can't just do whatever it wants. We don't live in a dictatorship where one person can repeal, make, or change laws.......

Last edited by bradjl2009; 12-28-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 08:08 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
I don't mind gas taxes or sales taxes, at least they tax my use of things rather than the wage tax that taxes my ability to make money. Ditch the wage and state income tax and tax goods and services to make up the difference.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:22 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I don't mind gas taxes or sales taxes, at least they tax my use of things rather than the wage tax that taxes my ability to make money. Ditch the wage and state income tax and tax goods and services to make up the difference.
Converting to a taxation system primarily focused on taxing goods and services is very regressive. A balanced system is key. You will find people who oppose any taxes, hate real estate taxes, want a flat income tax, etc. It is impossible to keep everyone happy and also be fair at the same time.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Converting to a taxation system primarily focused on taxing goods and services is very regressive. A balanced system is key. You will find people who oppose any taxes, hate real estate taxes, want a flat income tax, etc. It is impossible to keep everyone happy and also be fair at the same time.
Yes, everyone wants more government and no one wants to pay for it. Ideally we need to think of spending less and more efficiently for government, but punishing people for risk taking and success hardly seems even close to fair, especially when there are a favored few that get to game the system to take the bite out.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Ideally we need to think of spending less and more efficiently for government.
Agreed.

Believe it or not, my primary role right now is to work on evaluating solutions addressing the efficiency issue for one of the most costly entitlement programs funded by our taxes. These are some insanely complicated issues that will have major downstream impacts when changes are made. I wish I could talk more about it, but I really can't in a public forum. The work is extremely interesting.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I think people are missing the most important point. PA has by far the highest fuel tax in the US. It isn't even close. I posted a map and no comments on comparing PA to other states. No neighboring state is even close to PA and NY is the third worst, yet still .16 a gallon less after the increase. NJ is only .14 compared to PA at almost .58. What gives?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 AM

So? PA has a lot of bridges and roads to fix. It's expensive to live in a mountainous, populated state with a brutal yearly freeze/thaw cycle. PENDOT is expensive and maybe it should t be, but this is how they raise money to fund it.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think people are missing the most important point. PA has by far the highest fuel tax in the US. It isn't even close. I posted a map and no comments on comparing PA to other states. No neighboring state is even close to PA and NY is the third worst, yet still .16 a gallon less after the increase. NJ is only .14 compared to PA at almost .58. What gives?
NJ had a big jump in gas taxes back in October up to 37.5 cents so their cheap gas is gone now. PA has the 5th largest network of roads in the country despite being only 33rd in size, we have a lot to maintain.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
So? PA has a lot of bridges and roads to fix. It's expensive to live in a mountainous, populated state with a brutal yearly freeze/thaw cycle. PENDOT is expensive and maybe it should t be, but this is how they raise money to fund it.
It just adds to the climate in PA. I don't think our state will ever really grow.

http://interactive.taxfoundation.org...historic-norms

http://interactive.taxfoundation.org...ncome-tax-rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh