Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,378,797 times

Advertisements

The envy of other cities. I know Charlotte is unhappy that it doesn't have any of North Carolina's powerhouse schools.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/201701050010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
Very true. Pittsburgh has several great universities and they are our economy in reality. I think the college bubble will burst in a way at some point, but our city is no doubt on the right track. Considering our tax climate and how tough it is to start a business in our state let alone our city we are doing great. Charolette has to do it differently. Government's intervention in making college available for everyone has certainly helped Pittsburgh, but students are riddled with debt, so there is that. Sure enabled colleges to grow rapidly as they could skyrocket tuition due to what our governments/banks created.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,271,585 times
doesn't hurt when pitt is the most expensive state school in the country after taking into account aid and cmu is up there on the private side.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM

3,296 posts, read 3,855,689 times
What are you talking about? Have you ever lived in Charlotte? Have you been to UNC Charlotte? I'm jealous of them. UNCC has a real main campus along with other locations throughout the city. The LYNX will have a connection from UNCC main campus to downtown, including NODA, in the summer. One of the places I lived in Charlotte was up by UNCC. I can't tell you how much I miss new full amenity apartments that were affordable.

The only two negatives to Charlotte are the boring flatlands and lack of identity/loss of Southern culture.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:31 AM

54 posts, read 50,406 times
I did a year a UNCC; definitely loved it, but wouldn't compare it to Pitt/CMU as far as proximity to the city itself, or impact on it.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
What are you talking about? Have you ever lived in Charlotte? Have you been to UNC Charlotte? I'm jealous of them. UNCC has a real main campus along with other locations throughout the city. The LYNX will have a connection from UNCC main campus to downtown, including NODA, in the summer. One of the places I lived in Charlotte was up by UNCC. I can't tell you how much I miss new full amenity apartments that were affordable.

The only two negatives to Charlotte are the boring flatlands and lack of identity/loss of Southern culture.
As stated above, UNC Charlotte is not in the Research Triangle to drive Charlotte's economy. UNC Charlotte can't hold a candle to UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, or NCSU either.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:20 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,855,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
As stated above, UNC Charlotte is not in the Research Triangle to drive Charlotte's economy. UNC Charlotte can't hold a candle to UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, or NCSU either.
I wouldn't be proud of non-profits running a local economy. Charlotte has private sector employers located downtown. That's not a bad thing. They pay taxes. Ravenstahl had to harass UPMC until they forked over money for the Pittsburgh Promise to shut him up. BTW, I still haven't heard how the Promise is going to be funded since the original funds run out soon.

The biggest influence on the Triangles economy is the state government. Wake County has 23,000+ state employees. They aren't all working at the universities.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 01-06-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
gg

Quote:
I wouldn't be proud of non-profits running a local economy.
There are still a TON of taxes collected via wage tax and not to mention what all those students and employees buying everything in sight does for our city. We should be thankful we have a few really good colleges here in CMU, Duquesne, Chatham and Pitt.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be proud of non-profits running a local economy. Charlotte has private sector employers located downtown. That's not a bad thing. They pay taxes. Ravenstahl had to harass UPMC until they forked over money for the Pittsburgh Promise to shut him up. BTW, I still haven't heard how the Promise is going to be funded since the original funds run out soon.

The biggest influence on the Triangles economy is the state government. Wake County has 23,000+ state employees. They aren't all working at the universities.
There is ample evidence that CMU has attracted companies due to their expertise and providing graduates. I'm sure Boston is doing well because of Harvard and MIT. Silicon Valley was driven by Stanford.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:38 PM
gg

On the other hand. Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh