Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:07 PM

310 posts, read 371,581 times

Advertisements

The strip district seems like a great idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariP View Post
The strip sounds wonderful will check it out. Starbucks may kill it for us, becos we have noticed, a Starbucks means smaller coffee and bakeries around it closing down within few years after that. will also check out Lawrenceville.
You don't want to live downtown then, there's like half a dozen of them there.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The Strip is Pittsburgh's market district. It's known for small grocers and produce markets; a Starbucks would be a little out of place, just like the McDonald's that is already there, but it wouldn't be the death knell for neighborhood businesses like it may be in other areas.
Yes. Also, the area I pitched to them---the "Upper Strip" somewhere between 24th Street & Penn and 33rd Street & Penn is a "coffee desert", if you will. We love La Prima (21st Street & Penn), Espressso a Mano (Lower Lawrenceville), and Lili (Polish Hill), but if you live in the 31st Street Lofts or work at UBER or Apple, for example, then all three of these places are quite a long walk during the day to get caffeinated. A Starbucks somewhere near 29th & Penn, for example, would be a quick walk from these sites, would be walkable for the people who live on Washington's Landing, and walkable for the people of Lower Lawrenceville seeking an alternative to Espresso a Mano or Crazy Mocha. It would also be a quick walk for those of us in Polish Hill who want a frappuccino.

I pitched this location also because I know the added foot traffic generated by a Starbucks could serve as a catalyst to boost the languishing retail stretch between Penn & 24th and Penn & 33rd. My dream is for those blocks to all "fill in" someday to create an uninterrupted business district from Penn & 16th right up through Lawrenceville. Plopping a Starbucks down might help the traffic at existing nearby businesses (Salem's Market, Pittsburgh Winery, Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor, The Savoy, DiAnoia's, Edgar's Tacos) and will hopefully entice more businesses to open.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 PM

189 posts, read 166,168 times
Why root for a Starbucks and not another independent..or maybe a branch of an existing coffee shop?

Old 01-16-2017, 03:27 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
Why root for a Starbucks and not another independent..or maybe a branch of an existing coffee shop?
Because there's room in the world for both; it doesn't have to be an either/or thing

Old 01-17-2017, 12:34 AM

22 posts, read 50,077 times
Default Should visit and see for yourself

Lawrenceville reminds me of Brooklyn. I've heard others says this as well. Think Park Slope or Fort Greene circa 2006. Not as nice as Brooklyn Heights but getting there.

I think you would enjoy Squirrel Hill near Shady Ave and Forbes. Very walkable with tons of restaurants and shops, although not sure about commute to Downtown.

Check out Shadyside, i.e. Walnut Street. Closest to WT school. Note SS academy elementary school is near Wilikinsburg. The middle and high schools are in Fox Chapel. Also East Liberty/Highland Park.

Check out new Skyvue Apts on Forbes near Halket St, which is in Oakland year the UPMC hospitals.

I personally live in Ohara Township and have no trouble with the commute by car, even with traffic, into sites all across Pittsburgh, which is nice compared to bigger congested cities. Also, there are townhouse communities along river in Ohara and Oakmont where there's minimal plowing/mowing and public schools are excellent. Worth checking out.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdoc View Post
Lawrenceville reminds me of Brooklyn. I've heard others says this as well. Think Park Slope or Fort Greene circa 2006. Not as nice as Brooklyn Heights but getting there.

I think you would enjoy Squirrel Hill near Shady Ave and Forbes. Very walkable with tons of restaurants and shops, although not sure about commute to Downtown.

Check out Shadyside, i.e. Walnut Street. Closest to WT school. Note SS academy elementary school is near Wilikinsburg. The middle and high schools are in Fox Chapel. Also East Liberty/Highland Park.

Check out new Skyvue Apts on Forbes near Halket St, which is in Oakland year the UPMC hospitals.

I personally live in Ohara Township and have no trouble with the commute by car, even with traffic, into sites all across Pittsburgh, which is nice compared to bigger congested cities. Also, there are townhouse communities along river in Ohara and Oakmont where there's minimal plowing/mowing and public schools are excellent. Worth checking out.
I initially wasn't thinking about Squirrel Hill as an option for the OP due to the limited condo market (and much of that market being catered towards seniors with not particularly nice units). However, this unit is pretty good, provided it's not too rich for the OP's blood. It's right at the corner of Forbes and Murray, meaning it's in basically the best spot for walking around the business district - a very functional business district which offers everything from a grocery store to a movie theatre. Kids of your child's age are also out playing in the business district after dark all the time there, so that isn't a huge concern (and your child would have lots of friends). Plus the local K-8 neighborhood school (Colfax) is pretty damn good (although you could go there and live in Shadyside too). The down side of the neighborhood is there are no rapid transit options to Downtown, meaning you'd be stuck on surface buses. I think it checks all your boxes, but Shadyside is probably better, given you can use Negley Station/East Liberty Station to get downtown far quicker.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM

15 posts, read 11,437 times
So we did have a look see. We are still leaning towards living in downtown and sending the kid to WT. the only two issues are
There seems to be no clear answer on the kids commute to WT. The school said they will find out.
Also, does anyone know about Gateway towers?? The apartments are within our range but the HOA is very very high.

shady side and squirrel hill are our close second choices. There are no living options in Lawrencevile even though it's an extremely charming town and the strip district is right up our alley but again, nothing yet here.

Thanks again

Old 01-20-2017, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 11,437 times
On a seperate note

Yes, Pittsburgh downtown has no big city downtown buzz to it and most establishments shut down after 7/8pm. There is no decent grocery store and no cinema theatre, but the cultural district and the strip is very very active for evenings out. I am told the real estate is shooting up, but saddened to see that owners are willing to pay quite a bit for an area which is doing nothing to keep families in the city - bad schools and nothing post 8pm.
The reason we are still looking at downtown becos we will be walking distance to work and that is a big draw, a huge draw for us.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM

595 posts, read 600,530 times
The 77 picks up and drops off right in front of Gateway Towers - runs about every 30 minutes, and drops off about 2-3 blocks away from WT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh