Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:12 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times

Advertisements

Stedeford's was the place for Hip Hop in the 80s and 90s. It was also the P-Funk headquarters for the city, with Funkster Jones having his corner in the rear of the store. Before the rise of Hip Hop, it was the place to go find classic Doo Wop, which ironically came from the same streets that Hip Hop would 20 years later. I wonder if The Attic will be next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I still have

Poor Righteous Teachers
A Tribe Called Quest
Public Enemy
X Clan
Eric B & Rakim

To name a few.
I still have my copy of what I consider to be the finest example of the art of MCing (not just rapping) ever made, the 12 inch acoustic version of Rock The Bells by LL Cool J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaAEStI3wA

Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
I thought my older brother was so cool with his wrist band and double cassette boom box with the equalizers.
What is the significance of the wrist band?

Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 AM

684 posts, read 419,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I still have my copy of what I consider to be the finest example of the art of MCing (not just rapping) ever made, the 12 inch acoustic version of Rock The Bells by LL Cool J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaAEStI3wA
Forgot about this one....I used to own that.

Every time I hear it I think "Heard a new creation called the Marley Scratch..."

Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM

684 posts, read 419,473 times
Quote:
I still have

Poor Righteous Teachers
A Tribe Called Quest
Public Enemy
X Clan
Eric B & Rakim

To name a few.
Yeah....I still love Yo, Bum Rush The Show.

She's So....phisticated!

Old 02-03-2017, 11:40 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What is the significance of the wrist band?
Are you too young to remember the terry cloth wrist and head bands? Break dancing gear. I remember finding large cardboard boxes to use for break dancing contest. Back before WAMO played hip hop and we had to listen to the latest hip hop on Pitt's student radio show.

Oh! Rock the Bells and Sophistcated are true classics. I was 11 years old when Rock the Bells came out. Ill never forget it. My brother had the Gucci colored Fila's and all the girls loved him.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:42 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
The Funkster was a legend at Clairton's Hollywood Social Club. I used to sneak in just to listen. Remember his funkadelic assistant with the multi colored dread locked wig?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Are you too young to remember the terry cloth wrist and head bands? Break dancing gear. I remember finding large cardboard boxes to use for break dancing contest. Back before WAMO played hip hop and we had to listen to the latest hip hop on Pitt's student radio show.
No. Too old.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Oh! Rock the Bells and Sophistcated are true classics. I was 11 years old when Rock the Bells came out. Ill never forget it. My brother had the Gucci colored Fila's and all the girls loved him.
The album version is a great track, but the rapping on the 12 inch version with the bells is at another level.

L.L. Cool J is your undertaker
Def hit-maker bust a bone-breaker
Treble terminator, bass mutilator,
You can drop your drawers, I'm a rapper castrator,
On the microphone, you will never recoup,
When I'm finished with you boy, you'll be suckin' on soup.
Music virtuoso, melodical employer,
I knew you was a sucker, first time I saw ya.
Roll the red carpet, royalty's arrived,
Don't try to fight back cause you won't survive.
So don't never ever, in any kind of weather,
Try to mess with the tall young legend in leather.
L.L., servin' 'em well,
The beat elevates and the scratch excels,
Rock the Bells!

One of the great dis tracks ever, even though it was aimed at the general competition, and not a particular rapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh