Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
The jobs that folks are clamoring to bring back (factory, etc.) are soon to be gone anyway as automation becomes more and more prevalent.
That's what I mean. I'm saying that's what they voted for, not what they're likely to get.

I've been an adult for as long as Tyovan's been alive and I can't remember not knowing the middle class was getting squeezed. He thumbs his nose at the elitist techies, but almost every American engineering major I knew had an unemployed parent in the 1980s and didn't want to go through that again. It was a heck of a time to be un/semiskilled labor.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Get used to it. True Patriots are not going to sit by and watch our Nation devolve into the land of the deplorables.
What I find most disturbing about all this protest nonsense is the lack of information people have on reality. People are just reacting to a hyped up for profit media and not listening to the people who are actually running things. I see signs saying, "No Muslim Ban" and people chanting, "Open boarders" and so-on. How about a little fact check for those behind. 1. There are around 50 countries that are majority muslim and the current president put in place a temporary 90 day ban on 7 countries to make sure people are being checked out fully before entry. Therefore, there is no "Muslim Ban", it has more to do with leadership of the 7 countries. 2. There is an election coming up in Iran and being tough with them right now after their testing long range missiles is probably the right thing to do if you want to influence the election. Personally I don't think the tactic will work, but again the racist thingy is so overplayed.

Comparing this temporary ban on 7 out of 50+- countries is hardly a cause that is comparable to the civil rights movement. People are just acting nuts due to this horrific 24/7 media feed that is making money hand over fist, but the byproduct is dumb down reasoning. People are just running around in anger because they just don't understand the facts. Shame. There is NO stopping this near term. People are just going to be ignorant to reality for a few years. I hope at some point people will start looking into facts and stop listening to the likes of CNN, CNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and most others. But, how can we get the news? Listen to the actual people and only the actual people and stop listening to the so-called panel of experts that are there to hype things up to make $$$$$$$.

Good luck. I hate living in our city these days. The country is calling me where people are still civil to one and other.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:31 AM

684 posts, read 419,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
That's what I mean. I'm saying that's what they voted for, not what they're likely to get.

I've been an adult for as long as Tyovan's been alive and I can't remember not knowing the middle class was getting squeezed. He thumbs his nose at the elitist techies, but almost every American engineering major I knew had an unemployed parent in the 1980s and didn't want to go through that again. It was a heck of a time to be un/semiskilled labor.
It's the same as the service industry. McDonalds, etc. at some point will all go to the Sheetz model where there's just a kiosk to place your orders. I assume at some point the back of the house will become automated as well.

Eventually (50-100 years) there may not be enough jobs available. I know it's not a popular sentiment in this country, but it may get to a point where a basic income model may be the best option.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So now opposing protesters on a bridge is a race issue?
Haven't you heard? Everything is a race issue if they can make it one. You know oppression and all. What a crock of crap. A 90 day ban on 7 out of 49-51 countries is now a race issue. Sure whatever you say. People are just really getting sucked into media hype. I feel bad for people, but I also feel bad for this generation that seems to go along with the heard so easily. Lets face it folks, Pennsylvania went RED this past election. Hope Trump comes through for those in hard times. Maybe the killing will stop in Chicago as well.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 AM

684 posts, read 419,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I see signs saying, "No Muslim Ban" and people chanting, "Open boarders" and so-on. How about a little fact check for those behind.
Ok sure, let's do a little fact check.

Quote:
"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on," Donald Trump- December 2015.
Quote:
"I'll tell you the whole history of it," Giuliani said, as transcribed by The Washington Post. "So when (Trump) first announced it, he said, 'Muslim ban.' He called me up. He said, 'Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.'"
Quote:
In an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network's David Brody last week, Trump stated that the policy would prioritize persecuted Christians in countries where Muslims would otherwise be blocked by the ban.

Quote:
But, how can we get the news? Listen to the actual people and only the actual people and stop listening to the so-called panel of experts that are there to hype things up to make $$$$$$$.

This sets a dangerous precedent if by "actual people" you mean the people enacting the legislation/executive orders. A free press is absolutely necessary, otherwise you just have propaganda machines. We might as well live in Russia if we're going to do that.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:39 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Let's move on.
Now you're talking.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Personally I'd much rather a bunch of people with guns be sequestered in a room yelling at a politician then people impeding traffic. Both are morons, at least the former is actually acting in front of a legislator & wouldn't effect me anyways & is not breaking the law.
I agree and furthermore, people in Pittsburgh are just making it a living hell for those that voted for Hillary anyway. They are protesting amongst their own mindset. I gotta tell you as someone that can vote republican or democrat, I am starting to thing Trump is the best thing that could happen to this country in a LONG TERM sense. The soft crybaby types need a little shake up.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I was one of those people who voted for Obama twice who switched their vote to Trump. Seeing jerks out there like this makes me think I made the right decision. Keep calling me a racist and blocking my way home and I will do it again in 2020.
I don't think you are alone on this. I can understand it better now after the election. I know people that did exactly what you did and wasn't happy about it at the time, but think if given the chance over again, I might switch my vote. I am not in with the current democratic party, but I am not really in with the republicans either. Wish independents could vote in the primary. I would switch NOW!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariP View Post
Ah...interesting that we find that a protest that obstructs us from traveling from point A to point B infuriating..maybe we should take a minute and think about those legal tax paying individuals from this country who were suddenly banned from returning to their homes and work.
So there are well over 300 million people in the US and about 50 people were delayed entry. The rollout was done very poorly I agree but people are acting like children and missing the fact this is temporary to make sure things are done right. I don't agree with Trump, but like facts, not media hype.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:51 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So there are well over 300 million people in the US and about 50 people were delayed entry. The rollout was done very poorly I agree but people are acting like children and missing the fact this is temporary to make sure things are done right. I don't agree with Trump, but like facts, not media hype.
Very simplistic understand of the unintended consequences, but this is how the Trump regime sees things so I'm not surprised his followers are following along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh