Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch412 View Post
Interesting, thank you! Would you consider it a good place to raise a family?
its a perfectly fine place to raise a family. The areas north of the shopping plaza are probably the most desirable. You can still find a livable home on a decent street for a very reasonable price. My brother and his family live in this area and have 4 children. they have no complaints at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
I agree it is average when compared to those schools but they are some of the best in the state. Overall Ross is a vibrant community with affordable housing close to the city. Housing has been steady if not appreciating over the past few years. They are only "run down" as most of l'ville. Nor sure of the relevance of observatory hill either but generally the area south of the freeway is less desirable but that is a very small area of ross. Where are you getting the population and school decline figures?
In 2000, Ross Township had a population of 32,551. By 2010, it was 31,105. That's not a huge decline (4.4%), but it is a decline. Likely most of it is the typical reason for population decline in the Pittsburgh suburbs - very little new construction, and falling household size.

As for school enrollment, I don't have the numbers handy, but I looked at this a few years back, and South Fayette, Avonworth, Quaker Valley, North Allegheny, and Pine-Richland were the only districts in the county which didn't have falling public school enrollment. Again, this is mostly just the "empty nest" phenomena coupled with the suburbs being built out.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In 2000, Ross Township had a population of 32,551. By 2010, it was 31,105. That's not a huge decline (4.4%), but it is a decline. Likely most of it is the typical reason for population decline in the Pittsburgh suburbs - very little new construction, and falling household size.

As for school enrollment, I don't have the numbers handy, but I looked at this a few years back, and South Fayette, Avonworth, Quaker Valley, North Allegheny, and Pine-Richland were the only districts in the county which didn't have falling public school enrollment. Again, this is mostly just the "empty nest" phenomena coupled with the suburbs being built out.
that makes sense. the info-graphic in the article below is actually pretty interesting. mt Lebanon lost a good bit and i certainly wouldn't call that a declining area. note the pps enrollment decline so it isn't isolated to the suburbs.

Allegheny County school districts resize, close schools as population shifts | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Quote:
Highland estates should add back almost all of the population lost during that time. That development had to hold a lottery for people interested in purchasing. According to Ryan homes, there were 4 times as many applicants as planned units. So there is definitely demand in the area if any large portions of land become available to build on.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Some of the streets closer into the city look a little run down to me. I think a decline of Ross is decades away though - Observatory Hill needs to totally go to crap first, and that hasn't happened yet. But it's not a highly desirable area any longer, as can be seen by the slow decline in population and school enrollment.
I think there just aren't enough bad apples to go around for someplace like West View to ever have a serious crime issue. The worst case scenario is that the borough becomes empty and/or run down, and even that seems pretty unlikely to me.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM

20 posts, read 44,098 times
Thanks for the replies! I found a house on Zillow for 115K and it was gorgeous! I live in Lawrence County at the moment and seeing all these houses in the North Hills makes me want to move so much more. This house looks on par to what I could get in Cranberry for almost 100-150k less!

Last edited by sch412; 02-22-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 AM

8 posts, read 8,434 times
I bought a home in the southern part of West View (closer to the North Hills football stadium) a little under two years ago, after some family friends who have lived here for 20+ years said it's still a nice and inexpensive neighborhood. Long story short, I like it fine for the price, mainly because commuting downtown is a breeze. It seems like a decent place to raise a family, though my opinion as a childless bachelor probably means little, haha. The family-raising neighbors all seem pretty happy, anyway.

Not much to add that others haven't said already. It's not trendy and never will be. The housing stock is nothing special. It's walkable (even in most of the parts without sidewalks) but there's nowhere particularly compelling to walk to. Haven't noticed any signs of a widespread drug problem. At the very least, it's confined to the privacy of one's home, like everywhere else in the north hills suburbs.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
The worst thing about WV or at least is used to be is the rabid cops looking to catch speeders. Do NOT go 5 miles over anywhere in the borough, they do set up speed traps and monitor intersections for full stops. There is no significant crime in WV but drugs have always been there and there is a drug market in the local bars. North Hills school district is still desirable last time I checked.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
My wife and I are both Real Estate Agents, West View is cheap when you compare against other in the same school district. In that same price range is many other areas but likely with schools ratings that would be lower. Just depends on what is important to you in a home. Lots of good info from others already

Old 02-28-2017, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 87,842 times
I can't say if the overall population is growing but the school enrollment after declining is now rising again. North Hills is adding classrooms onto one of the four elementary schools in the district. The boundaries that define West View Borough pretty much match West View Elementary.
North Hills takes steps to expand McIntyre school | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Also, to the comment about the business district, I actually like the area running along Route 19. Two banks, Dollar General, a floral shop, jewelry store, Isaly's (and it may be one of the only ones still operating?), DiPietro's Restaurant, Yeung's House, Schorr's Bakery, Stamp Fanci, etc. The other shopping area, West View plaza where Giant Eagle and Kmart is isn't much to look at but is functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh