Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:04 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,878,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One thing you guys need to keep in mind is Peduto is covering his left flank right now, because that's where he's really vulnerable. The Reverend John Welch is running against him, alleging he's not done enough to help marginalized communities, particularly the black community in Pittsburgh.

I do not think Mr. Welch will have a winning coalition in a city where black people make up only 25% of residents. Nonetheless, the political pressure that Peduto feels is from those who argue he hasn't done enough for low-income people in the city, not that he's done too much. Honestly, many of his policies (including the executive order on affordable housing) look like window dressing to me, with the intention of making it seem like Pittsburgh is doing a lot while changing relatively little.
Is it necessary for him to cover his left flank? Can you be more left-wing than him and expect to get elected?
Harris may win the Yinzer vote, but she doesn't exactly seem to be respected - and there's no way she'd be as well financed as Peduto is/will be.

John Welch also has as much chance of becoming Mayor as AJ Richardson did.

The only threat to King Peduto in Pittsburgh is if he somehow managed to egregiously offend the establishment Democratic committee power brokers and they all managed to coalesce around someone like a Wagner. Which ain't happening in this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 PM

255 posts, read 282,922 times
Read some of the study and it seemed useless. I didn't see single answer to the issues addressed.
Affordable houses, good schools, stores you want to go to, and seeing people like you. Those are all normal human things and this study is saying the obvious.

The most glaring thing to me was the talk about gentrification and East Liberty. How can you create affordable housing in a rising price location? You can't.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,144,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
Read some of the study and it seemed useless. I didn't see single answer to the issues addressed.
Affordable houses, good schools, stores you want to go to, and seeing people like you. Those are all normal human things and this study is saying the obvious.

The most glaring thing to me was the talk about gentrification and East Liberty. How can you create affordable housing in a rising price location? You can't.
From my perspective, you can create affordable housing in a rising environment but you cannot completely force it. The city and county have one tool - taxation authority. The city can make tax breaks and other incentives contingent on the replacement of existing or creation of new affordable housing. Outside of that, I agree, I don't see how you can force a developer to create housing that caters to a specific demographic without re-writing laws.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:32 AM

697 posts, read 773,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post

Agree it doesn't provide comprehensive solutions but in order to get movement, and foundation and govt. attention in such areas, much easier to do so if there's an independent study rather than anecdotes.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Is it necessary for him to cover his left flank? Can you be more left-wing than him and expect to get elected?
It is necessary for Peduto to cover his left flank. He was not seen as particularly progressive on economic issues until he his most recent, successful run for mayor. He's gotten a lot of flak in some quarters for his alliance with Uber as well. I realize to you he seems a cardboard cutout of a liberal, but there's significant dissatisfaction with him in some quarters.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 AM

994 posts, read 895,120 times
For the trillionth time, can we stop with the myth that there isn't affordable housing in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas? It STINKS that changes result in some people not being able to afford living in their neighborhoods. I feel bad for them, but there is plenty of affordable housing in the area. Move to one of those locations.

That isn't to say that it was OK to kick some people out of their apartments with little notice. And it certainly makes it more difficult for some people who are required to live within city limits. The city should change that requirement, but people who can no longer afford to pay the rent in specific locations needs to stop with the victim mentality.

The transfer tax increase isn't necessary. I understand the intention and it is good hearted, but it will only encourage middle class folks to leave the city and the problems this tax hopes to prevent will only make things worse.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
I heard there's some affordable housing in Elliott.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:31 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
This article about affordable housing and NIMBY-ism from former Pgh booster (?) Richard Florida popped up on my newsfeed: https://www.citylab.com/housing/2017...bility/517320/

Quote:
Even if the economic arguments about the costs and negative consequences of NIMBYism reflect sound economic logic, they amount to little if they fail to address the very real concerns of neighborhood groups. Most regular citizens and neighborhood residents don’t think like dispassionate economists. According to a 2016 Building Industry Association poll, some two-thirds of San Franciscans surveyed do not think increasing housing supply improves affordability. Rather, they believe that land use regulations help to protect their neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh