Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Normally your posts are just annoying but this one was full of so much doom and gloom that it gave me a good belly laugh first thing in the morning so thanks I guess.
Haha, I had the exact same reaction to it.

to the OP, there is virtually 0.0 chance of Pittsburgh going back to the era of the 1900s. You have nothing to worry about - if you like Pittsburgh, go with it.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:37 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Do people actually think that the steel mills are going to be rebuilt & reopened here??
The steel industry was originally centered here for some very specific reasons. By the 1890s, those reasons had diminished, and the power brokers here recognized it, as did the power brokers in other regions, who tried mightily to usurp Pittsburgh's position (Chicago) . It was only by various shenanigans, plus two world wars, and the depression, that Pittsburgh was able to keep the steel industry here another 80 years. There is no way it will ever come back.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Haha, I had the exact same reaction to it.

to the OP, there is virtually 0.0 chance of Pittsburgh going back to the era of the 1900s. You have nothing to worry about - if you like Pittsburgh, go with it.
I don't think the OP was completely serious with his question, it was a dig at the new administration.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The steel industry was originally centered here for some very specific reasons. By the 1890s, those reasons had diminished, and the power brokers here recognized it, as did the power brokers in other regions, who tried mightily to usurp Pittsburgh's position (Chicago) . It was only by various shenanigans, plus two world wars, and the depression, that Pittsburgh was able to keep the steel industry here another 80 years. There is no way it will ever come back.
& The Pittsburgh Plus system may be the most un-free market thing ever ha

Old 03-11-2017, 01:45 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Good points. The most that can happen is the few remaining heavy industries in the area and region will have a resurgence in business. Don't expect any new steel mills to be built in Pittsburgh. The Shell ethylene cracker plant is an anomaly and even it is away from the city. I don't see America as re-industrializing and if it does, it will probably be as it once was, in rural America.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM

130 posts, read 122,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
The new head of the EPA essentially doesn’t think the EPA should exist. If pollution increases in Pittsburgh and the sky becomes black again, isn’t that going to cause tech companies and the people who’d work for them to move to cities with clean air?

Pittsburgh's air quality improved drastically well before the EPA stepped in. These matters can be taken care of at the local level. No need for a cumbersome federal bureaucracy. Unfortunately that's a controversial stance now.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 PM

34 posts, read 28,500 times
Like it or not Pittsburgh lost a huge booster of the region when Obamas term ended. Bringing the g-20 to the burgh was huge. He believed in the city and region. The issue is Pittsburgh needed that boosting and federal dollars to fix issues in the city. Losing the boosting along with federal funds could crush the fragile momentum the region has gained over the last 5 years. We could regress back to pre Obama administration days when nobody wanted to stay here and people leave for greener pastures elsewhere. It remains to be seen. I will pay attention to the lock census estimates to be released soon

Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Trump said he would bring steel back to Pgh, and I believe him!!!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghboy1 View Post
Like it or not Pittsburgh lost a huge booster of the region when Obamas term ended. Bringing the g-20 to the burgh was huge. He believed in the city and region. The issue is Pittsburgh needed that boosting and federal dollars to fix issues in the city. Losing the boosting along with federal funds could crush the fragile momentum the region has gained over the last 5 years. We could regress back to pre Obama administration days when nobody wanted to stay here and people leave for greener pastures elsewhere. It remains to be seen. I will pay attention to the lock census estimates to be released soon
Pittsburgh has seen little to no growth in the last 3 years. Obama had nothing to do with the slight bump in employment we saw 4-5 years ago. It was the universities, and the shale energy companies that caused the slight improvement in the economy, but as both of those sectors have stopped growing, so has the growth we saw.

Trump's pro-business policies will do more for Pittsburgh than anything Obama, Bush, Clinton ever did.

I don't expect steel mills to come back, but the pro-business atmosphere will spur economic growth nationwide, and will hopefully improve the economy here as well.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I don't think the OP was completely serious with his question, it was a dig at the new administration.
On that note, this topic was just a thinly-veiled political rant, so it should be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh