Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes. It is. Have you been there? I walked the entire length of the trail around the Presque Isle Peninsula in 2015. It was an amazing experience. Then you have Waldameer, the zoo, the Philharmonic, minor-league hockey and baseball, and lots of shopping/dining options (they have TWO Wegman's stores AND Tim Hortons!) Not bad for a city of <100,000. Traffic is always a breeze, too, even during the height of tourist season. Another good thing about Erie is that it is day-trippable to Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland.
Tim Hortons and Wegmans locations can be found throughout rural WNY, aka Trump Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 09:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You're missing out bro I never have a lack of things to do but it's a little easier for me being only 2 hours from Columbus and still close to Pittsburgh too.
If you only go hang out in hipster urban areas you're going to be pretty limited imo I would try and expand your horizons a little bit and hit some outdoor stuff, tourist attractions, etc.
SCR is representative of the majority of East Enders that rule this forum and Pittsburgh. The city core and East End is all that matters. There is very little love given for any of the suburbs or counties that surround Pittsburgh. There are countless outdoor opportunities (the laurel highlands!!!!) to be found in SWPA but those places happen to fall outside the boundaries of the city limits.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM

45 posts, read 51,563 times
What else is new. The population has been retracting since I Love Lucy was airing new episodes.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalmoe View Post
What else is new. The population has been retracting since I Love Lucy was airing new episodes.
The difference is that we had been led to believe by so-called "demographic experts" that Pittsburgh's population had bottomed out and was starting to grow again. Obviously they were wrong. I'm waiting for our own resident demographics experts on here to make excuses. "Our elderly population is too high." Is that really still the case when that excuse has been used since the '90's? By the time they can stop using that excuse the massive Millennial generation will be dropping like flies.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
SCR is representative of the majority of East Enders that rule this forum and Pittsburgh. The city core and East End is all that matters. There is very little love given for any of the suburbs or counties that surround Pittsburgh. There are countless outdoor opportunities (the laurel highlands!!!!) to be found in SWPA but those places happen to fall outside the boundaries of the city limits.
Sorry, but if I'm moving to a new major metropolitan area in our country I'm not moving there to live in the suburbs and contribute to sprawl. I'm moving to a walkable neighborhood. The East End (most of it) is walkable. Some other city neighborhoods like South Side, Mt. Washington, Brookline, Troy Hill, and the Lower North Side are walkable. ~90% of our suburbs are NOT walkable, so, no, I couldn't care less about wanting to see places like Cranberry Township or Peters Township growing enough to "matter" because such growth would mean it's coming at the expense of the city when there's fewer and fewer people to go around each year. When your metropolitan population is in freefall any suburban growth is wasteful growth.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:10 PM

969 posts, read 772,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sorry, but if I'm moving to a new major metropolitan area in our country I'm not moving there to live in the suburbs and contribute to sprawl. I'm moving to a walkable neighborhood. The East End (most of it) is walkable. Some other city neighborhoods like South Side, Mt. Washington, Brookline, Troy Hill, and the Lower North Side are walkable. ~90% of our suburbs are NOT walkable, so, no, I couldn't care less about wanting to see places like Cranberry Township or Peters Township growing enough to "matter" because such growth would mean it's coming at the expense of the city when there's fewer and fewer people to go around each year. When your metropolitan population is in freefall any suburban growth is wasteful growth.
This really shouldn't be that hard to follow, but based off the conversations on this forum it must be. What business does this metro have sprawling when we can't even shore up the more developed city or pre-WW2 first ring burbs?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
This really shouldn't be that hard to follow, but based off the conversations on this forum it must be. What business does this metro have sprawling when we can't even shore up the more developed city or pre-WW2 first ring burbs?
That would be the cities fault Pittsburgh has 50 neighborhoods but 300k people + students are trying to cram into 3 of them.
Case and point perfect example, the West End should be booming christ on a cracker it's right next to downtown.
'
I can't think of another city that lets a neighborhood that close to its downtown completely go to waste.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
If our metro area was growing at the rate of 5,000 people per year, then I wouldn't care if 4,000 of them settled in suburbia and 1,000 of them settled in the city. Our metro area is LOSING population, though, so ANY suburban growth HAS to be coming at the city's expense. I really hope the city's official 2020 population won't be under 300,000. Cincinnati would likely be a larger city and metro area than Pittsburgh by the mid-2020's if these trends continue.

This isn't Atlanta where construction cranes are everywhere in the hearts of Midtown and Buckhead, AND new housing subdivisions are springing up in Cobb County.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-26-2017 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Just like I said on the Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia thread, a horrid year for PA. Philadelphia MSA nearly had negative change.
Philadelphia MSA grew by 8,197 people. While definitely slow growth for sure, I wouldn't say that's nearly a negative change.

Either way, I think the census is underestimating Pittsburgh and Philadelphia FOR SURE.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That would be the cities fault Pittsburgh has 50 neighborhoods but 300k people + students are trying to cram into 3 of them.
Case and point perfect example, the West End should be booming christ on a cracker it's right next to downtown.
'
I can't think of another city that lets a neighborhood that close to its downtown completely go to waste.
While this is a bit incoherent, I think I get what you're trying to say and I'd contest you are wrong. Not only is the "completely go to waste" statement an exaggeration, but almost every mid-sized city in the US has blight or lack of development in at least one neighborhood within close proximity (but not adjacent to) it's central business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh