Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:11 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
The deferred mortgage actually makes a home affordable - whether new construction or rehabbed.

If a house costs a developer and the city 150k to purchase and develop or build new, but the neighborhood only supports values at 100k, it sells for 150k, but the buyer gets a 50k soft second mortgage that they only have to pay back when they sell. So the buyer essentially gets a 50k discount. The house goes back into the tax rolls, spurs development around it, etc. Statistically, the home owner will sell in 7-10 years and hopefully for 150k or more. The 50k gets paid back upon the sale and reinvested into another deferred 2nd.

I've been involved in a number of these and they work out pretty well. The help stabilize a neighborhood with low values while getting buyers into a quality home.
What happens if the house doesn't appreciate?

This is how bubbles form.....

Old 04-07-2017, 06:30 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post

A lack of appreciation would only hurt if you decide to move, because that's the only time the deferred mortgage has to be paid back (besides death). SCR has talked at length about how he is not interested in living in a home for profit, so this shouldn't be a concern for him. The program is designed to stabilize neighborhoods immediately, by renovating dilapidated boarded up homes and slum lords. But it's also designed to stabilize neighborhoods in the long run, by incentivizing people to stick it out for the long haul, and not just living there as a "starter house" or until they can afford something better.

It's not a wide spread enough program to create a bubble. And having people underwater on mortgages that they don't have to pay is a lot better than empty, falling apart homes or slum lords.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
A lack of appreciation would only hurt if you decide to move, because that's the only time the deferred mortgage has to be paid back (besides death). SCR has talked at length about how he is not interested in living in a home for profit, so this shouldn't be a concern for him. The program is designed to stabilize neighborhoods immediately, by renovating dilapidated boarded up homes and slum lords. But it's also designed to stabilize neighborhoods in the long run, by incentivizing people to stick it out for the long haul, and not just living there as a "starter house" or until they can afford something better.

It's not a wide spread enough program to create a bubble. And having people underwater on mortgages that they don't have to pay is a lot better than empty, falling apart homes or slum lords.
I agree for sure. As long as the program is kept in check it is an awesome opportunity...I am guessing we will hear a laundry list of excuses from the notable party...

Old 04-07-2017, 12:06 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
I agree for sure. As long as the program is kept in check it is an awesome opportunity...I am guessing we will hear a laundry list of excuses from the notable party...
Exactly. You have to "want" to do it.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:

No necessarily if done correctly. For example, if the house sells for 150k with a 50k deferred 2nd, the buyer has 100k between their down payment and 1st mortgage.

If they sell in 5 years and it is only worth 100k, then the URA loses their 50k after the homeowner pays their closing costs to sell.

The deferred 2nd can and has been transferred to the next buyer if they qualify (income, credit, etc) and the property still qualifies based on the original qualifying criteria.

I also think that the URA doesn't run such slim numbers. For example, the house might sell for 150k with a 50k deferred 2nd, but they are pretty confident that it would be worth somewhere i the middle of that. They already have a cushion to some degree.

The only slightly shady thing that I've seen with these has been a buyer who is "single" meaning not married and filing taxes individually, but they have a live in partner and they may or may not share all finances, but they definitely share living expenses. That 2nd income isn't used to qualify. On the other hand, the income limits for 2 people only goes up slightly for 2 people versus one, so it is likely adjusted for a single parent more than two working people.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Exactly. You have to "want" to do it.
I would appreciate not being referred to as "the notable party".

For what it's worth I've given up on the idea of buying a home. It's just not realistic for someone with my debt-to-income ratio, and since I've held a zillion jobs since moving to this city---none of which have paid >$30,000/year without overtime or working a second job---I'm realizing I just can't do any better with only a Bachelor's Degree and am going to save to pursue my Master's Degree.

I'd still like to know why the answer to rising rents in a city with a declining population has to be "shut up and buy because it's cheaper". Nationwide we're creating urban cores that are pricing out middle-class renters in droves.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:11 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

For what it's worth I've given up on the idea of buying a home. It's just not realistic for someone with my debt-to-income ratio, and since I've held a zillion jobs since moving to this city---none of which have paid >$30,000/year without overtime or working a second job---I'm realizing I just can't do any better with only a Bachelor's Degree and am going to save to pursue my Master's Degree.

I'd still like to know why the answer to rising rents in a city with a declining population has to be "shut up and buy because it's cheaper". Nationwide we're creating urban cores that are pricing out middle-class renters in droves.

Dude, just apply for the pre-approval. It's free and takes like half an hour. You just might be surprised.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:03 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Because buying a place will result in lower payments than renting and eventually, other than taxes, no house payment at all.

At some point you need to do something about it rather than blaming society for what's happening. Or perhaps find a city that still in the days of 2010.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Or get a job that pays a college graduate more than $30,000 a year. Since most college graduates are making at least 2 or 3 times that amount at age 30, there must be such jobs. Even teaching pays way more than that with 11 weeks off in the summer. Go back and get a degree in teaching or nursing. Some Master's degrees aren't worth more than a BA degree, depending on the field. Or study up and become a CPA.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Since most college graduates are making at least 2 or 3 times that amount at age 30, there must be such jobs.
I think you're pretty far off of the mark with these thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh