Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 04:14 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
There are no plans to take out the Highland Park Dam (lock 2). Coal isn't dead in the least. Take a ride down Rt. 7 along the Ohio River to Marietta or just go to Springdale. Coal is being burned at alarming rates. Heck most of ALL train traffic and barge traffic is going to Springdale which is running 24/7.
I realize that coal is a hot-button issue and has been turned into a political volleyball. However, coal-fired power plants are shutting down. "In 2015, 94 coal-fired power plants closed" and "Another 41 coal plants are scheduled to close in 2016". "Most of the states that are totally free of coal or are heading in that direction tend to be liberal. But the red states aren’t far behind. Alabama is slated to close eight coal-fired generators by 2019"
https://morningconsult.com/2016/05/0...ean-power-plan

This is due to a combination of tougher air quality guidelines, the public's perception that coal is unhealthy, significant discounts in natural gas costs, and more renewable energy sources coming on line.

Coal is not dead, but it is dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:29 PM

268 posts, read 385,459 times
I may be in the minority here, but I for one am pumped to see folks using the dam system to create hydroelectricity!

The locks and dams have been built for a very long time. The investment, and environmental changes have taken place. If we can better utilize this existing investment to generate electricity to provide additional benefits, and lessen our dependence on coal, gas, and other fossil fuels while creating local maintenance, construction, and clean electricity jobs than I am all for it.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:44 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I realize that coal is a hot-button issue and has been turned into a political volleyball. However, coal-fired power plants are shutting down. "In 2015, 94 coal-fired power plants closed" and "Another 41 coal plants are scheduled to close in 2016". "Most of the states that are totally free of coal or are heading in that direction tend to be liberal. But the red states aren’t far behind. Alabama is slated to close eight coal-fired generators by 2019"
https://morningconsult.com/2016/05/0...ean-power-plan

This is due to a combination of tougher air quality guidelines, the public's perception that coal is unhealthy, significant discounts in natural gas costs, and more renewable energy sources coming on line.

Coal is not dead, but it is dying.
The US coal industry is seeing a spike in coal exports to China with their freeze in North Korean imports & issues with Australia's supply.....relevant for western pa is that bituminous is the specific coal seeing the demand....will be interesting to see if this is a long term trend or not.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:55 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Looks like Pitt wants to get 25% of its electricity from this hydro plant.

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...ropower-plant/

I do have a concern about this however. If they put this hydro plant in, how will they get the power to Pitt? Will they be able to use existing lines for most of it? Could be a huge eyesore if they have to start running lines all over those beautiful tree covered hills. I do like the idea of our region using some of these dams for our electric however. Anyone know more about this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4895...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Looks like Pitt wants to get 25% of its electricity from this hydro plant.

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...ropower-plant/

I do have a concern about this however. If they put this hydro plant in, how will they get the power to Pitt? Will they be able to use existing lines for most of it? Could be a huge eyesore if they have to start running lines all over those beautiful tree covered hills. I do like the idea of our region using some of these dams for our electric however. Anyone know more about this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4895...7i13312!8i6656
I think the way electric distribution works now, producers sell their generated electricity to the "grid", other companies transmit that electricity, and consumers purchase from the "grid" indirectly. My guess is rather than a direct line to Pitt, what you'll have is a financial arrangement between Pitt and the producer that has Pitt "purchasing" from the plant. It won't be like the electrons coming out of the hydro plant are directly feeding power outlets, lights, and appliances on campus. I could be wrong, though.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:02 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think the way electric distribution works now, producers sell their generated electricity to the "grid", other companies transmit that electricity, and consumers purchase from the "grid" indirectly. My guess is rather than a direct line to Pitt, what you'll have is a financial arrangement between Pitt and the producer that has Pitt "purchasing" from the plant. It won't be like the electrons coming out of the hydro plant are directly feeding power outlets, lights, and appliances on campus. I could be wrong, though.
Ah that makes sense. I do remember looking at green options for my power and that is how it worked. You are probably spot on. I am glad Pitt is doing this. Every bit helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh