Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 04:22 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I hope this is the case. I followed the Penn Plaza debacle very closely, and it was difficult to find affordably-priced replacement rentals for those tenants, despite assistance from the developer.

I also read these two articles:

Graphic: Pittsburgh’s affordable housing shortage | PublicSource

What you need to know about affordable housing (or lack thereof) in Pittsburgh | PublicSource

The more and more I research how much more rapidly median rents are rising in this city than median real wages for the working-class, the more anxiety I incur.
Do you have any plans to do something about what you feel is wrong or are you going to just wait and hope things turn in your favor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
SCR, I really don't think there is some pent up demand for units in a lot of the non-trendy neighborhoods. That home-buying program I told you about in Brightwood only has a handful of homes (I think it is 5 currently, 10 if you count the earlier phase) and even when it's laid out on a silver platter like that, they have trouble finding people to buy them.

Quote:
1.) The answer isn't "Move to the suburbs"
Surely you jest? City living can be great, but it's not like it's a constitutional right or something. If the suburbs work better for your budget, then moving to the suburbs is a valid option. I mean that in general -- I know that you personally have a residency requirement.

Quote:
2.) The answer isn't "shut up and buy a place because it's cheaper." Don't you think most poor renters are renting long-term because they can't afford to cobble up the down payment and closing cost money for their first home?
In the long run, yes this is probably the best answer for most people. Saving just $50-$100 a month will give you enough for a solid down payment in five to ten years. This is what people mean when they say that someone should cut back on eating out, video games, going to the movies, driving expensive (for them) cars, getting the latest smart phone, or whatever it is. If home ownership is really a goal, then you have to make it happen -- it won't just fall on your lap (aside from programs like the one in Brightwood). I'll grant you that this sort of savings isn't possible for everyone, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility for most people.

Quote:
There are plenty of single people in this city earning less than $32,400/year yet still too much to qualify for subsidized housing.
With kids, many of them would qualify. Without kids, they should consider a roommate or, again, maybe moving outside city limits.

Last edited by ferraris; 04-11-2017 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
it is not fair that nice apartments in the coolest neighborhoods don't cut the price they can get in half and save them for some of you guys.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
it is not fair that nice apartments in the coolest neighborhoods don't cut the price they can get in half and save them for some of you guys.
Reading comprehension issues much?

Nobody is advocating that prices in the trendiest neighborhoods are halved so that more than just the wealthy can afford to live in them.

Some of us are concerned that the amount of lower-income renters being displaced in these trendy neighborhoods can't be fully absorbed into the available lower-income-appropriate rentals in the non-trendy CITY neighborhoods. If this isn't the case, then why did it take so long to relocate the Penn Plaza residents?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
Quote:

Nobody is advocating that prices in the trendiest neighborhoods are halved so that more than just the wealthy can afford to live in them.

Some of us are concerned that the amount of lower-income renters being displaced in these trendy neighborhoods can't be fully absorbed into the available lower-income-appropriate rentals in the non-trendy CITY neighborhoods. If this isn't the case, then why did it take so long to relocate the Penn Plaza residents?
I read fine, I just don't share the thought that you, or anyone, is entitled to live where they want for cheaper than others would pay simply because thats where you want to live.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:17 AM

994 posts, read 900,926 times
Quote:

Why not? As shown there have been at least over 300 available apartments at some point recently in the <$900 range.

It totally stinks that people were made to move, and it sounds like the process was not done well and possibly without a decent amount of notice (I don't know). However, screwing that up shouldn't justify forcing developers to make available a percentage of their apartments for those who can't afford the market rate for that location. Nor should it lead to a real estate transfer tax likely to force out some of the same MIDDLE income wage earners the city should be attempting to include.

Prices change of time. That's how it works.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Why not? As shown there have been at least over 300 available apartments at some point recently in the <$900 range.

It totally stinks that people were made to move, and it sounds like the process was not done well and possibly without a decent amount of notice (I don't know). However, screwing that up shouldn't justify forcing developers to make available a percentage of their apartments for those who can't afford the market rate for that location. Nor should it lead to a real estate transfer tax likely to force out some of the same MIDDLE income wage earners the city should be attempting to include.

Prices change of time. That's how it works.
kind of strange how some people don't realize that subsidies for the lower classes end up hurting the middle class the most, of which they are part of.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
kind of strange how some people don't realize that subsidies for the lower classes end up hurting the middle class the most, of which they are part of.
Not everybody bases their decisions based on whether they personally benefit ?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Not everybody bases their decisions based on whether they personally benefit ?
doesn't seem like this is what is happening here, but think what you may. i have no problem with advocating for others when it is justified. some take on unrelated causes for their own agenda though.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:

Perhaps like you, those residents wanted to live in an area they can't afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh