Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm a little surprised to hear that new flooring is considered so desirable. I figured people would want refinished original wood and cleaned up original tile. I thought even old linoleum would be a plus, if it's in good shape.

I have to admit I never really saw the appeal of having a family room in addition to a living room. Maybe I've just never lived in a household with enough people for it to matter.
This issue with the original wood has been responded to; see Paul2421's response to your post. Old linoleum is likely to be in pretty bad shape, and regardless of "different strokes for different folks", linoleum is not considered desirable right now, nor has it been for a long time. It seems to be wood, some type of ceramic-type tile, or carpet, in that order, at least out here.

A family room is great for keeping the mess of family living out of the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Most of the people want a more open floor plan. People are getting rid of there formal living and dining rooms. We are installing a lot of lvl beams to remove load bearing walls. These same people also want 6 panel doors, larger original style baseboards and plinth blocks and rosettes on window and door casing. I also bid a lot of real wood windows. As far as flooring, very few jobs i bid do the people keep the original flooring. Most customers don't like the pine or oak. Engineered hickory With a clear stain is the most popular flooring my customers ask about.
Good to know! We are thinking of putting in a wood floor in our dining room, and were wondering what's "in".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Exactly. Open floor plans just have the wrong vibe to me. It makes the place seem cheap.

I actually do like a separate dining room. A lot of older homes do not have room to eat in the kitchen, and I don't want eating on the couch or recliner to be an everyday thing. Dedicated dining rooms are also nice for hosting guests, and not just for food but also for playing cards and board games. I do like the homes that have the best of both worlds, with a wider opening between the living room and dining room, especially if there are pocket doors or french doors so you can still close it off.

Living in Ohio and PA my whole life, I forget that not having a basement is even an option.
Cheap? More causal maybe.

I do like a dining room. My daughter has a new-"ish" house (1998) which has an open kitchen/great room set up, but it does have a separate dining room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 11:40 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,352,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This issue with the original wood has been responded to; see Paul2421's response to your post. Old linoleum is likely to be in pretty bad shape, and regardless of "different strokes for different folks", linoleum is not considered desirable right now, nor has it been for a long time. It seems to be wood, some type of ceramic-type tile, or carpet, in that order, at least out here.

A family room is great for keeping the mess of family living out of the living room.

Good to know! We are thinking of putting in a wood floor in our dining room, and were wondering what's "in".

Cheap? More causal maybe.

I do like a dining room. My daughter has a new-"ish" house (1998) which has an open kitchen/great room set up, but it does have a separate dining room.

Linoleum is very in right now, not the new vinyl floors but true linoleum. It is being used in a lot of commercial buildings and utility rooms and laundry rooms in homes. It is a green building product and is 1 of the only options for companies trying to get a leed certificate on a new or remodel building

You can tell when a floor is linoleum because it is 6'6" wide and it will have what looks like a smooth caulking joint between the sheets.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,293,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I haven't heard of this show at all, I'll have to be on the look out for it. I was telling my husband I'm tired of all the shows being based in California, or Las Vegas, or Toronto. The houses just look the same. HGTV used to have the Nashville one but they seemed to have disappeared.

I'm from Seattle which also gets about 2000 hours as well and now we're living in the area where it's at the 2500-2600 hours. There's a huuuuge difference. My Seattle native husband complains about it being too bright all the time.
I guess the other option is to embrace being the City of Clouds. Who wants boring blue sky anyway when you could have this?!

Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Linoleum is very in right now, not the new vinyl floors but true linoleum. It is being used in a lot of commercial buildings and utility rooms and laundry rooms in homes. It is a green building product and is 1 of the only options for companies trying to get a leed certificate on a new or remodel building

You can tell when a floor is linoleum because it is 6'6" wide and it will have what looks like a smooth caulking joint between the sheets.
Interesting! Thanks.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM

255 posts, read 282,922 times
I was always curious how real these shows are. In this case it would be neat to see it on the county website whether it sold for the amount they are claiming and what they bought it for. Of course they could still always lie about the renovation cost.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
I was always curious how real these shows are. In this case it would be neat to see it on the county website whether it sold for the amount they are claiming and what they bought it for. Of course they could still always lie about the renovation cost.
They said on the show that it sold for the full asking price of $450,000.
It sold for $449,000.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,160,432 times
I missed it! I'll be watching for new shows, love seeing stuff around Pittsburgh. Wouldn't someone remodeling and selling a property for more money net the city more in property value taxes?

I hate that new show in Las Vegas. Such weird stuff and her doing handstands on the counter, what's that all about except to show off?

Old 05-04-2017, 05:40 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,293,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
They said on the show that it sold for the full asking price of $450,000.
It sold for $449,000.
How did you find that out? I wonder if for some reason (like the buyer's inspection), the price was renegotiated after the show. It seems unlikely they'd actually give the wrong info. in the show.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,272,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
How did you find that out? I wonder if for some reason (like the buyer's inspection), the price was renegotiated after the show. It seems unlikely they'd actually give the wrong info. in the show.
most of these shows are filmed after the fact. househunters is filmed after closing.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I did some sleuthing, since in one of the shots you could see People's Indian Restaurant catty-corner to them on Penn in the background. The county website says the property is listed as "condemned", but it was bought for a dollar in May 2016 and sold for $449K in January of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh