U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM

61 posts, read 42,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
The Mexican War Streets have this reputation for being super close knit, and my friends who bought a house down there say it's true. On Spring Hill I know about half of my neighbors on this block by name, and most of the parents with school-age kids know each other one way or another. We have neighborhood parties a few times a year, and they tend to be really nice.
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at what's on the market, currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,219,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoise View Post
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at what's on the market, currently.
There's very little available in Spring Hill right now, and most of what's in the MWS is either too small or too pricey for the requirements you described above, unfortunately. But here's some of the stuff I was thinking of in Brighton Heights. I like Brighton Heights, but I admit I don't know it as well as I know the areas closer to 279, so I'm hoping a few more people from this side of town might chime in. The houses are certainly very handsome...the neighborhood isn't as dense and walkable as the areas closer to downtown, but that's partly because you've got big homes like these.

1802 Morrell St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 - realtor.com®

3604 Wealth St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 - realtor.com®

1402 Orchlee St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 - realtor.com®

1024 Davis Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 - realtor.com®

4008 Northminster St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 - realtor.com®

That being said, I suspect you're really looking for something like this, in a very walkable part of Sewickley:

548 Hill St, Sewickley, PA 15143 - realtor.com®

Or maybe something like this in Crafton:

58 Hawthorne Ave, Crafton, PA 15205 - realtor.com®

Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 PM

Thanks- yeah, I haven't seen anything in our price range or size in MWS itself. There are a few in Manchester & Central North Side. We can go higher on the price, if it's in the city and doesn't need work- up to $500K, though we'd rather not.

1410 Federal St, Central North Side, PA 15212 - realtor.com®
1309 Liverpool St, Manchester, PA 15233 - realtor.com®
1232 Juniata St, Manchester, PA 15233 - realtor.com®

Sewickley sounds nice, in theory, as walk-able would be great and the restaurants there are probably ones we'd enjoy. I did have to laugh, though, when I read someone describe the school and area as "racially diverse" on a school rating site.

I'll be staying in Mt Lebanon when I come in a few weeks, so that'll give me a chance to explore the South Hills, but I'll make sure to spend a day on the north side and make my way up to Brighton Heights and Sewickley, as well.

Last edited by Daoise; 05-14-2017 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 11:11 PM

If you can make it work with the Pittsburgh school district, then yes, I think the homes you listed could really work for you. 1410 Federal is practically in the MWS -- Federal Street is the border -- and it's an interesting spot. It's part of a block of new construction town homes that have a lot of younger families living in them. The area around it is fairly gritty by Pittsburgh standards (though by NYC or LA standards it's really fine -- you have to just check it out and see how you feel), but has great amenities -- library, coffee shops, restaurants, Children's Museum, a great park with a Friday farmer's market from spring to fall. There's regular events at City of Asylum and the Mattress Factory, and the Warhol Museum is only 1 mile down the road.

The two houses back in Manchester are in a somewhat quieter section of the Northside, but in a nice way. Manchester and Allegheny West are extremely pretty neighborhoods with a lot of history and a stable population (ie, the neighborhoods are fairly well established and have a great sense of community -- as opposed to certain other parts of Pittsburgh that are gentrifying rapidly and sadly pushing out some of the long-time residents. The Manchester Citizens Corporation is worth googling; they are to thank for making this area so nice.) It's also not far from Brighton Road, where you have Breadworks (an amazing bakery) and Commonplace coffee at the edge of the MWS. There are great restaurants on Western Ave, and the area around the community college (CCAC) is quite nice. There's a subway (the T) that stops by Heinz Field, and you can take it to downtown Pittsburgh for free, and/or pay to keep riding it out to Dormont. Chateau Cakery (on the other side of 65) is one of our favorite places to get lunch in the whole city.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:18 PM

Thanks- this is sounding promising. I believe that Allegheny Traditional Academy has space in kindergarten (which my oldest will be repeating). Definitely worth checking out. Someplace walkable is our ideal, as we also have an au pair who we want to be able to easily go out and have fun/do whatever it is 19 yo's do. Plus, she could walk our oldest to school, while I drive the others to preschool.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks- this is sounding promising. I believe that Allegheny Traditional Academy has space in kindergarten (which my oldest will be repeating). Definitely worth checking out. Someplace walkable is our ideal, as we also have an au pair who we want to be able to easily go out and have fun/do whatever it is 19 yo's do. Plus, she could walk our oldest to school, while I drive the others to preschool.
Yes, I had also heard that ATA has space in kindergarten -- we send our kids to ATA, as do several of our neighbors and friends. Public preschool can be tricky in the city because the demand is pretty high -- the Children's Museum has a great preschool program through PPS, for example, but you need to enter a lottery to get in and there's always a waiting list. If private preschool/daycare is an option for you, there's a Bright Horizons daycare on Tripoli Street in Deutschtown, near 279. They are affiliated with Allegheny General Hospital, which means AGH staff get a discount on tuition, but it's open to anyone as a regular daycare. Our kids have been really happy with it, and we know several other parents who send kids there too.

Glad you'll be checking it out

Old 05-14-2017, 11:54 PM

oh, yeah- I keep forgetting public preschool is even an option, since it's not here, unless you qualify for Head Start or receive special education services. Our 3 yo is in a district preschool classroom for autism, so I believe she'd get a spot somewhere, since they have to accept her IEP from our current district. I'll look into the other options, too.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM

2,773 posts, read 1,168,571 times
Quote:
Well- I personally have been verbally accosted and physically threatened in some more conservative areas, simply for being different, so while I know it's not the norm, it's a very real possibility.
That's a shame. I live in an area that is extremely liberal and progressive and intolerant. But, I enjoy debate and am happy to engage in conversation with these folks. Yes, from time-to-time I am verbally accosted by these extremely liberal and progressive and intolerant types. I have only once been physically threatened by one of these people, though, and nothing came of that incident.

Quote:
When an area is socially conservative, we may be able to get along with our neighbors on the surface, but we wouldn't be able to be close friends with them.
That's a shame, too. Most of my good friends are extremely liberal and progressive and intolerant. But, they tolerate me and my crazy ideas regarding personal liberty and personal responsibility and the rule of law. I tolerate them, too. Crazy!

Quote:
There are some opinions and differences that ... are non-negotiable. These are choices we all make in who we are close with in our lives.
Sure, I suppose, if you're referring to people who advocate genocide or some other similar nasty business.

Not trying to give you a difficult time. Just sort of thinking out loud. I wonder what sort of opinions you find "non-negotiable" to the point where you are unable to tolerate the people who hold such opinions?

Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 AM

I'm not going to get into a debate about any of these things, but since you asked, for me, the issues that would prevent me from being a good friend with someone are:
-Racism, including being anti-immigration or asssuming all muslims are terrorists.
-Anti-LGBT, including believing that they don't have just as much right to marry as everyone else.
-Sexism, including anyone that's ever even vaguely thought a woman who was assaulted somehow deserved it or holds on to the absurd views that women shouldn't be in the workplace, if they so choose.
-Pro-life to the point that you think you have a right to decide what someone else should do with their body. This is a very personal choice and not one I would dream of dictating for someone else.
-Anti-science, including anyone against vaccines that have been thoroughly tested by the science community.

Basically, anyone who is intolerant of another person or treats them at all differently, because of their skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or personal choices (which have no affect on others whatsoever) isn't someone I want in my life. I'm also not a fan of people who think poor people are poor, because they don't work hard enough, because it's straight up wrong.

Last edited by Daoise; 05-15-2017 at 12:40 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 AM

2,773 posts, read 1,168,571 times
Quote:
I'm not going to get into a debate about any of these things, but since you asked, for me, the issues that would prevent me from being a good friend with someone are:
That's your privilege. I just like to call people out when they make statements implying that one set of people behave this way (poorly) while another set of people behave that way (enlightened and noble).

Quote:
-Racism, including being anti-immigration or asssuming all muslims are terrorists.
Why do you assume that conservatives are more likely to be racists, or that anyone assumes all Muslims are terrorists? I lived on Pittsburgh's North Side for years and i can assure you than many of my democrat-voting neighbors, black and white, were very racist. I left before 911, so, I am not sure what they believe regarding Muslims or immigrants. However, I note that many Democrat-voting new (legal) immigrants support Trump's efforts to restrict illegal entry to the US.

It seems that you see the world in rather a black and white way.

Quote:
-Anti-LGBT, including believing that they don't have just as much right to marry as everyone else.
Many conservatives today (I'm guessing, as I have no stats to support my assertion) don't much care about or harbor anti-LGBT feelings. The only people who seem to be at all anti-LGBT are religious fundies (like many of the Muslims who want to come to the US) and religious black people, who typically vote Democrat.

Quote:
-Sexism, including anyone that's ever even vaguely thought a woman who was assaulted somehow deserved it or holds on to the absurd views that women shouldn't be in the workplace, if they so choose.
The only people I know who as a population in general believe that are Muslims who seek to enter the US.

Quote:
-Pro-life to the point that you think you have a right to decide what someone else should do with their body. This is a very personal choice and not one I would dream of dictating for someone else.
I agree with you. I also believe, however, that if it is a personal choice, pay for it on your own dime. If its a very personal choice, don't ask me to pay for your abortion.

Nonetheless, this is not a deal-breaker for me. I have friends who are pro-life and pro-abortion, and I know many of them to be wonderful, caring people. IMO, neither of them has a monopoly on rational thought wrt this particular issue. You know, rational minds may disagree...

Quote:
-Anti-science, including anyone against vaccines that have been thoroughly tested by the science community.
Many people on both/all sides of the political spectrum are pro- or anti-science depending upon the politics of the particular issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or