Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times

Advertisements

I think the OP's issue is that he really wants to walk to the climbing gym. This is a hobby that just isn't in every neighborhood. So, if this is what you want then you really need to move by your gym or the one in Point Breeze. The one in Point Breeze is arguably by the busway. So, you could use a bus to get there. On the other hand, the OP also said that he/she would be willing to use their bike. Honestly, the East End is pretty flat and you can get from one neighborhood to the next on a bike pretty easily.

My opinion, is that the OP really wants a very dense neighborhood so that he/she can walk to more places in a shorter amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM

595 posts, read 600,078 times
If biking is an option too, could always ride down Mt. Washington and pick up the trail along the river to get to REI. It's flat to bike back to Station Square on the riverfront trail and take the incline back up.

I looked for houses for sale in 15211, and there's like a black hole of nothing listed around the Shiloh/Virginia Ave area, haha. There are some rentals though in decent shape that are fairly affordable.

I was actually surprised to see my buddy's old place is up for rent above J&J's Diner. The kitchen and bathroom were fairly modern - but the big appeal was having that balcony overlooking the intersection and was great for people watching. Cheap too, 3 bedrooms for $950/mo w/ offstreet parking. The drawback? It's right across from the fire station. Nothing like waking up to sirens for a 3:30am call.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post

I looked for houses for sale in 15211, and there's like a black hole of nothing listed around the Shiloh/Virginia Ave area, haha. There are some rentals though in decent shape that are fairly affordable.
very little ever comes on the market in that direct area. Mostly because its 80+% multifamily rentals. If something does come up and its fairly nice, It will most likely be closer to 300k than 200k. this one recently sold at 121 w sycamore https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...mePageTab=rent

But for the OP, yes I agree that the shiloh/virgina area may be an alternative fit to south side or shadyside.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Mt Washington is an excellent suggestion. Just caution against Grandview Ave itself. I had to run away when I lived there due to cars constantly cruising in the summer with the Loud Bass Stereo sound making my molars vibrate. Loved that place but not the location.

As you get away from Grandview it's a lot of long term family owned housing, part of the area's charm. Yes it's on the run down side towards Allentown. Not a deal breaker for the rest of the area.

Is Kaib's still up there, I think it was Bingham St? Was one of my favorite hangouts...

Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
My favorite place up on Mt. Washington is Micro Diner. It fills two niches for me: First, it's a diner that doesn't close in the early afternoon like most do; and second, it's open until 4am on weekends.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:02 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
My favorite place up on Mt. Washington is Micro Diner. It fills two niches for me: First, it's a diner that doesn't close in the early afternoon like most do; and second, it's open until 4am on weekends.
I've been gone two decades... If that place was there back then, they'd have been taking plenty of my money on a regular basis.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:20 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post

Is Kaib's still up there, I think it was Bingham St? Was one of my favorite hangouts...
it was renovated and renamed Bigham tavern quite some ago.

Microdiner is about 5 years old and being open until 4am on the weekends is definitely amazing on that rare occasion Im out anywhere near that late. Currently there are 3 more bar/restaurants in the works in the immediate area. All in all, the area is doing rather well and the OP should definitely consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh