Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 AM

271 posts, read 332,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Maybe signing Melancon instead of trading him and leaving Watson in the 8th inning role that he's been so good at would have helped too?
Mark Melancon makes almost the same as Andrew McCutchen this season ($14M vs. $14.5M). There was no way the Pirates were going to sign Melancon as a free agent, so they traded him and got something other than draft pick compensation. Seemed to be the prudent move, since they were out of contention last season with Melancon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 12:10 PM

977 posts, read 567,485 times
Frankly, I don't care how much they spend. I want to see them win. If it's 190 million, what's it to me or you? I understand why ownership won't spend it. What I don't understand is why fans care so much about winning on the cheap instead of just winning. Did you really care what the Penguin's payroll was this year?

Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Frankly, I don't care how much they spend. I want to see them win. If it's 190 million, what's it to me or you? I understand why ownership won't spend it. What I don't understand is why fans care so much about winning on the cheap instead of just winning. Did you really care what the Penguin's payroll was this year?
Unlike the other sports, baseball doesn`t impose a salary cap. Pirates vs. Dodgers in a spending battle is not a good idea.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Unlike the other sports, baseball doesn`t impose a salary cap. Pirates vs. Dodgers in a spending battle is not a good idea.
Case in point is the Penguins, who spent about $25 million less on their Stanley-Cup winning payroll than the Pirates current 2017 payroll. The NHL's hard cap forces teams to keep their payrolls at a certain level, and don't permit a Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox scenario. Francisco Cervelli and Geno Malkin earn nearly the same salaries this year ($9M vs. $9.5M).

Old 06-14-2017, 12:50 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
Mark Melancon makes almost the same as Andrew McCutchen this season ($14M vs. $14.5M). There was no way the Pirates were going to sign Melancon as a free agent, so they traded him and got something other than draft pick compensation. Seemed to be the prudent move, since they were out of contention last season with Melancon.
They weren't out of contention of the WC when they traded Melancon and they likely won't be out of contention at the deadline when they dump Cutch's salary.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Case in point is the Penguins, who spent about $25 million less on their Stanley-Cup winning payroll than the Pirates current 2017 payroll. The NHL's hard cap forces teams to keep their payrolls at a certain level, and don't permit a Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox scenario. Francisco Cervelli and Geno Malkin earn nearly the same salaries this year ($9M vs. $9.5M).
Comparing Pens and Pirates payroll is ridiculous. The revenue between the NHL and MLB isn't even close. The Pirates have money to compete. They just have fans duped into thinking they don't. Although 5000 less in attendance every game shows many are figuring it out.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/

Old 06-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
We need to dump Hurdle too. He's not taking the Pirates anywhere. My thought is that he is cheaper than the alternative, someone who can get it done. I used to like him, but his ability to make decisions has eroded just like his hips. We need players and we need leadership. Go Bucs!
Who are you going to hire that's going to do better with the players Hurdle is given?

The FO puts the players on the roster and only so much can be done with what Hurdle's given.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
They weren't out of contention of the WC when they traded Melancon and they likely won't be out of contention at the deadline when they dump Cutch's salary.
Fangraphs had the Pirates as having a less than 10% chance of making the playoffs on the day they traded Melancon. They were 11 games back of the Cubs last season at the trade deadline.

As per Fangraphs, the Pirates currently have a 3% chance of winning the division, and a 3.2% chance of winning a wild card spot.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Comparing Pens and Pirates payroll is ridiculous. The revenue between the NHL and MLB isn't even close. The Pirates have money to compete. They just have fans duped into thinking they don't. Although 5000 less in attendance every game shows many are figuring it out.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/
How much revenue the league brings in, versus how much money each individual franchise makes, are two different things. MLB makes more money than NHL, as a whole, but local revenue matters. The website you linked shows the Penguins with $178M in revenue in 2016, and the Pirates with $265M in revenue for 2016. Thus, the Penguins made about 70% of what the Pirates did in revenue in 2016, and, not surprisingly, the Penguins team salary was about 70% of that of the Pirates that same year.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Fangraphs had the Pirates as having a less than 10% chance of making the playoffs on the day they traded Melancon. They were 11 games back of the Cubs last season at the trade deadline.

As per Fangraphs, the Pirates currently have a 3% chance of winning the division, and a 3.2% chance of winning a wild card spot.
I don't put much faith in Fangraphs or speculation, but
the Cubs were leading the division. There's 2 WC's.

If only Fangraphs could correctly predict the outcomes for each team there would be no reason to play the games and MLB could just crown a team as World Series champs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh