U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 AM

1,270 posts, read 744,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Across the country, knowledge sector workers — people in information technology, engineering, business and legal occupations — saw wages after rent increase 6 percent. Meanwhile, post-rent wages declined by 5 percent for the average blue-collar worker and by 7 percent for the service sector worker.

But Pittsburgh shows that trend in a more dramatic way, as employment in knowledge sectors grew by 16 percent — outpacing the national average during that period — to feed the growing health care, finance and tech industries. Post-rent wages for knowledge workers in Pittsburgh also rose faster than the U.S. average, increasing 11 percent to $69,912 in 2015.

There is some evidence to suggest rent costs have been kept lower here than other cities experiencing a knowledge economy boom. Ms. Bennet found Pittsburgh’s service sector workers saw post-rent wages rise 3 percent, the sixth-largest increase among cities. Blue-collar workers’ post-rent wages stayed about flat, above the national average.
Study: Wage stagnation in Pittsburgh hits blue-collar, service workers hardest | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:12 AM

11,911 posts, read 11,022,356 times
The headline and the article completely contradict each other. To summarize your quote:

Nationwide, wages for the "creative class" climbed by 6%. In Pittsburgh they rose 11%

Nationwide, wages for blue-collar workers declined by 5%. In Pittsburgh, they were flat.

Nationwide, wages for service workers declined by 7%. In Pittsburgh, they rose 3%.

This is good news for Pittsburgh, not bad news.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 AM

5,776 posts, read 6,979,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The headline and the article completely contradict each other. To summarize your quote:

Nationwide, wages for the "creative class" climbed by 6%. In Pittsburgh they rose 11%

Nationwide, wages for blue-collar workers declined by 5%. In Pittsburgh, they were flat.

Nationwide, wages for service workers declined by 7%. In Pittsburgh, they rose 3%.

PG trying to pick up where the Trib left off by making everything about this area by being doom and gloom?

Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,839,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I guess they are calling the lack of growth for blue collar workers the "stagnation" part and just completely ignoring the impressive growth for the knowledge workers. Sounds about right though since everyone knows that knowledge workers aren't "real Pittsburghers."

Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
PG trying to pick up where the Trib left off by making everything about this area by being doom and gloom?
They got tired of writing about annexation by western cities.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:51 AM

1,270 posts, read 744,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I guess they are calling the lack of growth for blue collar workers the "stagnation" part and just completely ignoring the impressive growth for the knowledge workers. Sounds about right though since everyone knows that knowledge workers aren't "real Pittsburghers."
Nobody said that the knowledge workers aren't "real Pittsburghers".
But it is evidence to support the feelings that the blue collar/working class folks are getting left behind in the "New Pittsburgh".

Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM

11,911 posts, read 11,022,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
But it is evidence to support the feelings that the blue collar/working class folks are getting left behind in the "New Pittsburgh".
Even if you just look at the gap in income growth compared to the national average, the expansion of the gap between blue-collar and knowledge workers is identical (11%) and the gap in wage growth between service workers and knowledge workers is smaller (13% nationally, versus only 7% locally).

Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,839,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

They are getting left behind everywhere, but actually not as bad in Pittsburgh as in other places. (Which I understand is akin to get stabbed versus shot)

Why are they getting left behind? Is it because their is a lack of need for what they do? Or is it that there is actually a need, but no one wants to invest in it? I admit I do not know the answer.

If it is a lack of need for what they do, then what are we to do about that? Do we prop up the industry? Build things we don't need? Purposefully shorten the lifespan of the products they produce, so they can make them again? We could have them dig coal, and then truck it to the other side of the state where they could bury it, and then have another set of coal miners dig it up again? Perhaps we should we look into basic incomes for people in certain sets of industries that are no longer needed?

Again I am not sure what answer would work, to not only help these people but also be an acceptable solution to the masses.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,077,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Perhaps we should we look into basic incomes for people in certain sets of industries that are no longer needed?
Some version of this, at some point when automation really takes off. Even more important is healthcare, because people can survive on a lot less income when they know an unexpected cancer diagnosis isn't going to wreck their finances.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 AM

5,630 posts, read 6,493,650 times
Quote:
post-rent wages
I've never heard this term used on a macro level. It makes sense for a personal budget, but not for comparing one person's salary to another's. The location, size, and condition of your housing is a choice. I am not richer than my coworkers because I live in a cheap house, I'm just spending my wages differently than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or