Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I might as well.

There sure aren't many contemporaries in our region though. I never looked into building, but I think that would be just out of my price range. I don't think you can build for under $450,000 anymore if you want some quality.
Gladhands is talking about the Don Owens on Woodland Rd that sold for $305k a couple years back. That house was a steal and I was so bummed when I saw it listed as contingent before my realtor even sent it to me. That miss was big enough for me to not trust her again and fire her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Gladhands is talking about the Don Owens on Woodland Rd that sold for $305k a couple years back. That house was a steal and I was so bummed when I saw it listed as contingent before my realtor even sent it to me. That miss was big enough for me to not trust her again and fire her.
Wonder if an architect would allow the buyer to be the general contractor? I never really looked into building, but I have the connections to see a build through. Just need a design. It is probably WILDLY expensive to do such a thing.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Wonder if an architect would allow the buyer to be the general contractor? I never really looked into building, but I have the connections to see a build through. Just need a design. It is probably WILDLY expensive to do such a thing.
Architects don't come cheap, that's for sure. I looked into getting one for a deck on my Lawrenceville house and couldn't even get a bite when I told them my budget, which I thought was pretty strong. There are too many big projects going on around here to get a good and creative architect to do a design of a modest home.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Architects don't come cheap, that's for sure. I looked into getting one for a deck on my Lawrenceville house and couldn't even get a bite when I told them my budget, which I thought was pretty strong. There are too many big projects going on around here to get a good and creative architect to do a design of a modest home.

Yeah, I don't think they will bother talking to me I suppose. Gotta have millions for a real contemporary design.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:14 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
You dont need an architect Contemporary - Modern Home Plans

Old 07-15-2017, 01:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
If an Eichler ranch is more your style, there are architectural plans available: https://www.houseplans.com/exclusive/joseph-eichler

Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Probably not quite to your standards, but you might look for Don Owens homes when they (occasionally) pop up. I haven't found a good way to search by style or keyword, unfortunately. His homes are scattered throughout the north hills. All the ones I have ever seen were listed in Ross. Here is a current example, which is a little lacking in curb appeal IMO but has some great interior features.

118 Cardiff Rd, Ross Township, PA 15237 - realtor.com®
I went and looked at this one over the weekend, and man is it great. The house blends rather well with its surroundings, such that when you are inside, you feel like you are in the woods. It is definitely dated - other than bathrooms and kitchens in the 90s and basic upkeep, not much has really been done to it, but it is totally livable and move-in ready. It could also be a project that you can throw $200k+ at it to modernize and/or restore. I don't think I'll be moving to the 'burbs for this one, but it definitely is tempting. I expect it to be under contract by middle of this week.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I went and looked at this one over the weekend, and man is it great. The house blends rather well with its surroundings, such that when you are inside, you feel like you are in the woods. It is definitely dated - other than bathrooms and kitchens in the 90s and basic upkeep, not much has really been done to it, but it is totally livable and move-in ready. It could also be a project that you can throw $200k+ at it to modernize and/or restore. I don't think I'll be moving to the 'burbs for this one, but it definitely is tempting. I expect it to be under contract by middle of this week.
I just don't know if that area can get that kind of money for a home that needs some updates, but maybe. It isn't cheap, but it is very cool and at least we appreciate such a wonderful design. Glad it was posted here!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
There is also this example, which was listed and sold while I was on vacation a couple of years ago. Had I been at home at the time, I would likely be a suburbanite instead of a city resident, that is how much I like this property.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...11484855_zpid/
I'm not normally a big fan of most contemporary stuff but that's pretty awesome

Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
I just don't know if that area can get that kind of money for a home that needs some updates, but maybe. It isn't cheap, but it is very cool and at least we appreciate such a wonderful design. Glad it was posted here!
It looks to be priced in line with most on that street which are the same architecture style. There are 4 for sale right now though which could bring down the price a little. It is a pretty great location with good access to the city and above average schools without some of the problems that the elite schools have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh