Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 06:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Mt. Oliver is (confusingly enough) a city neighborhood directly to the east of the independent borough of Mount Oliver, which is an enclave surrounded by Pittsburgh. The existence of this neighborhood under the current name is relatively recent. Historically, this area was (similar to the neighborhood still to its east) called St. Clair, after the long-defunct Lower Saint Clair Township. After the opening of St. Clair Village, residents of the neighborhood sought a "rebranding" and decided they would rather be associated with the (at that time) stable and middle class Mount Oliver borough. Now that Saint Clair Village has been closed, and Mount Oliver has gone downhill, who knows if this will continue.

Regardless, the current neighborhood is very small, both in geography (74 acres) and population (likely now under 500). The neighborhood is basically exclusively residential, with the housing stock varying in age from detached wood-frame houses from around 1900 up through the streetcar suburban area and Pittsburgh's unique 1950's "bunker colonial" style. There are a fair amount of vacant lots in the neighborhood (particularly closer to St. Clair), but little in the way of blighted or abandoned houses. The neighborhood has Arlington Elementary school and a few churches, but no businesses.

Although the area gets a bad rep due to being part of the Southern Hilltop, from everything I have heard it's a very safe area when compared to nearby areas like Allentown, Knoxville, Mt. Oliver Borough, or Carrick, and has been so since St. Clair Village closed. Certainly there is no immediate hope for a revival, given the modest housing stock and lack of any neighborhood amenities, but there is also no reason to think that it is going to do anything more than continue its slow population decline into a backwater, quasi-rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 AM

59 posts, read 97,404 times
Lived there for a year at the part where Mt Oliver, Pittsburgh and Baldwin meet. Super quiet. Miss it quite a bit...

Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM

325 posts, read 323,040 times
Small lil town... Mt. Wash next week!!!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Mt. Oliver is a separate borough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...,_Pennsylvania

Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 PM

130 posts, read 122,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Mt. Oliver is a city neighborhood directly adjacent to Mount Oliver which is a separate borough.

Talk about making things complicated. Also impressive that such a small community could stave off annexation.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
Mt. Oliver is a city neighborhood directly adjacent to Mount Oliver which is a separate borough.

Talk about making things complicated. Also impressive that such a small community could stave off annexation.
Well, that's interesting and something I didn't know. I used to be a visiting nurse in that area of Pgh.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpreppie05 View Post
Lived there for a year at the part where Mt Oliver, Pittsburgh and Baldwin meet. Super quiet. Miss it quite a bit...
Likewise there are some nice streets in Carrick. Some have housing very nice houses, too, and seem to have residents that care for their places. But it's what is AROUND it that ruins it, I guess.
I am so unfamiliar with the City neighborhood of Mt. Oliver, but someone once affirmed exactly what you are saying - it is actually a nice little hamlet, tucked away.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
I grew up in this neighborhood and my parents have lived there for 34 years. It really is a pretty pleasant, relatively well-preserved little hamlet. They have a back deck on their house (which is about as big -- 2,000 sq ft -- and well-maintained as something you might find in the East End for literally 1/3 or 1/4 of the price) with nice tree cover, and in the summer it is about as quiet and breezy a place to eat dinner as anywhere in the 'burbs.

And yet it's close enough to "downtown Mt. Oliver" (Brownsville in the Borough) that I could take a 15-minute walk to the 51C or 54C, which gave me access to virtually anywhere else I wanted to go as a teenager. It had its problems, but I had a great childhood there and even as the "South Hilltop" has increasingly gained a reputation for being tough, my parents don't have any problems. Over the July 4 weekend, I took my son on a long walk around the neighborhood, past my old elementary school (Philip Murray -- now Arlington, I think?) and up and down the streets my friends used to live on (some still do), and there were a surprising number of people out maintaining their yards, renovating their houses, and waving to us. It's a far nicer place than its reputation indicates.

Re: the confusion between the City and the Borough parts: This was always very annoying, growing up. On the few occasions I had to call 911, they would ask where I was in the city, I would say "Mt. Oliver," and every single time they'd say, "Call the Mt. Oliver police." Dozens upon dozens of times as a child, I needed to explain that, no, I know that Mt. Oliver is a borough, BUT IT IS ALSO THE NAME OF AN ADJACENT CITY NEIGHBORHOOD with like 500 residents! It eventually becomes laughable how many times you need to reiterate this as a resident.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
P.S. It is all residential now, but when I was a kid there were at least 3 stores: A beer distributor on Fisher St., a bar & restaurant on Ormsby (Lauterbach's), and a candy store on St. Joseph St. (Taft's). I just drove past the old Taft's building about a week ago and it looks like it's sadly just turned into a residence recently, and Lauterbach's became the Ormsby Cafe, which closed a year or two ago, apparently because the owner was ill. Sad to see this stuff shuttered or not used for its original purposes, but I am cautiously hopeful that Brownsville Road will Rise Again, once the progress on Warrington spills over.

I know this nostalgia for places makes it sound like I am 85 years old, but I was born in 1983.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
P.S. It is all residential now, but when I was a kid there were at least 3 stores: A beer distributor on Fisher St., a bar & restaurant on Ormsby (Lauterbach's), and a candy store on St. Joseph St. (Taft's). I just drove past the old Taft's building about a week ago and it looks like it's sadly just turned into a residence recently, and Lauterbach's became the Ormsby Cafe, which closed a year or two ago, apparently because the owner was ill. Sad to see this stuff shuttered or not used for its original purposes, but I am cautiously hopeful that Brownsville Road will Rise Again, once the progress on Warrington spills over.

I know this nostalgia for places makes it sound like I am 85 years old, but I was born in 1983.

I see - I am a little older than you, as I surmised. How? Because I remember there NOT being a "Mt. Oliver" in the city proper. It just "came about" at some point.

Can we agree - it is what it is, and that is fine? Why does it NEED to grow? It provides to its residents what they want - QUIET (ah, if only to dream). Lush greenery... Proximity to a business district that isn't half bad.

The Ace hardware store up on the main drag still has the best customer service I've ever had the pleasure of having, for a hardware store. When I moved back to Pittsburgh, and needed stuff for the new place, they were amazingly helpful and kind.

Some things are fine as they are, right? Squirrel Hill comes to mind, too. Maybe one can argue that Summer Hill can be considered perfect for its attributes.

Let me stop at Carrick and Sheridan, though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh