Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times

Advertisements

Hey OP, in case you are looking for childcare in the short term, the Bright Horizons affiliated with AGH is pretty nice. We sent our kids there, and have lots of friends who did the same...just something to keep in mind, since (as someone mentioned) a lot of the suburban daycare centers have long waiting lists. AGH Bright Horizons is pretty full too but not nearly as long of a wait to get in, and I believe AGH staff get priority -- they definitely get a discount, FWIW.

It's located near 279 just a few blocks from the hospital, so you could do drop off and pick up right by work. Traffic can get really bad going in and out of Mt Lebanon, so this way you wouldn't have to worry about being late for pickup since the kid would be in the car with you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psharma View Post
Thanks for your reply. Looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom home. Didn't find many options in Dormont. How would the commutes compare to Allegheny General Hospital and Jefferson Hospital from Mt Lebanon vs USC vs Bethel Park? How do these school districts compare with each other at this time? Are there any significant differences? What if we want to enroll our kids in Sewickly Academy? Is it worth it assuming we can manage to afford it? What do people think about SA compared to these public schools? I know my baby is a bit too young at this time and things change with time but I still wonder. I believe public schools would offer a more wholistic experience and get a better feel of our community. Thank you once again.
Mt. Lebanon just isn't that close to the independent private schools which are in Fox Chapel, Shadyside or Sewickley. I bet no one sends their kids to Sewickley Academy and lives in Mt. Lebanon. Mt. Lebanon doesn't bus so you would have to drive your kids their and pick them up every day. Might be a possibility for high school but for elementary school highly unlikely.

I can see a private school in the city (Winchester or Ellis) if the parent works in Oakland.

If you want to go the private route just buy in the city. You can have your choice of private schools close by and your commute to Jefferson or AGH won't be that bad. Although, Jefferson is not really close to anything.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM

14 posts, read 19,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Mt. Lebanon just isn't that close to the independent private schools which are in Fox Chapel, Shadyside or Sewickley. I bet no one sends their kids to Sewickley Academy and lives in Mt. Lebanon. Mt. Lebanon doesn't bus so you would have to drive your kids their and pick them up every day. Might be a possibility for high school but for elementary school highly unlikely.

I can see a private school in the city (Winchester or Ellis) if the parent works in Oakland.

If you want to go the private route just buy in the city. You can have your choice of private schools close by and your commute to Jefferson or AGH won't be that bad. Although, Jefferson is not really close to anything.

I like the homes in Mt Lebanon and the amenities it has to offer including the excellent school district and doable commutes to AGH and Jefferson. Hopefully we can get a home there that we finalize. I have seen a lot of listings that are old and not so many new ones. Are they usually well maintained? This question may be too generalized I understand.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
I like the homes in Mt Lebanon and the amenities it has to offer including the excellent school district and doable commutes to AGH and Jefferson. Hopefully we can get a home there that we finalize. I have seen a lot of listings that are old and not so many new ones. Are they usually well maintained? This question may be too generalized I understand.
I think the answer to this is that you're going to get what you pay for in Mt Lebanon. What I mean is that this is one of the most desirable, most highly sought-after suburbs, with the best reputation -- so you're not going to find a "deal" that other people have somehow overlooked. If the price looks suspiciously low, there's something wrong with the house. There are other suburbs (and plenty of city neighborhoods) that are less fashionable for one reason or another, and people can sometimes find incredible deals. Mt Lebanon is the sort of place where sellers can ask whatever they want and feel pretty confident that the right buyer will come along pretty quickly, so the only reason to set a low price is if you know the house needs a lot of work.

But yes -- maybe a more direct answer is that Mt Lebo is known for handsome older homes that are usually in good shape.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:47 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Yes, usually well maintained. But many don't realize Lebo has its fair share of rather dull apartment buildings duplexes. It's not all stone mansions. I'm thinking $350-400 should get you something really good.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I think the answer to this is that you're going to get what you pay for in Mt Lebanon. What I mean is that this is one of the most desirable, most highly sought-after suburbs, with the best reputation -- so you're not going to find a "deal" that other people have somehow overlooked. If the price looks suspiciously low, there's something wrong with the house. There are other suburbs (and plenty of city neighborhoods) that are less fashionable for one reason or another, and people can sometimes find incredible deals. Mt Lebanon is the sort of place where sellers can ask whatever they want and feel pretty confident that the right buyer will come along pretty quickly, so the only reason to set a low price is if you know the house needs a lot of work.

But yes -- maybe a more direct answer is that Mt Lebo is known for handsome older homes that are usually in good shape.

they certainly look handsome!

Old 07-26-2017, 04:11 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that many houses in Mt. Lebanon were built before WWII and have a single car garage, three bedrooms, a lack of closet space, and 1.5 baths. Take a careful look at the electrical since many houses have not been completely rewired. Houses that exceed these specs will command a premium.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 PM

69 posts, read 51,348 times
When choosing a community to live in and buy a house I always say keep your lifestyle in mind. Mt Lebanon is a vibrant "walking community" with sidewalks, close proximity to downtown, good schools and homes with loads of character. The lots can tend to be a bit smaller and homes closer together. Many homes are pre war but have been updated with modern amenities however it isnt out of the norm to have a house that will need to have central air installed. There are no school busses in Mt. Lebanon and all kids either walk or are driven to school. You can google "mt lebanon safe walk" and the first site will show you the walking routes to each elementary school. You don't have to stay in the 15228 zip because you won't be taking the T (trolley/train) to AGH.

Upper St Clair is just south of Mt Lebanon, also has very good schools. The homes tend to be a little newer than Mt Lebanon, built around 1940s - 1970s and of course some newer some older with larger lots. There are busses for the schools in Upper St Clair. Your commute to either AGH or Jefferson will vary depending on where in either community you are living.

Bethel Park is just to the west and covers a very large area so your commute could vary wildly depending on where you would decide to live. The schools in Bethel Park are good but the perception is they are not on par with Mt Lebo or USC.

There are families in the communities that send their kids to private or parochial schools but it is not that common because of the quality of educatio in the public schools.

There are many surveys that say one school district or another is #1 but I always tell people to look at what metrics are being used. Is it number one for state test scores? SAT scores? You have to think about the data they are using and also look at the bigger picture.

Good luck with your move, there are so many great things to do in the area, it's a fantastic place to raise a family!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Personally, I think you need to spend closer to 500,000 in Mt. Lebanon if you want something old and nice. A lot of the more reasonably priced older homes we have looked have small kitchens. If you want a larger kitchen in an older home then you really have to spend some money.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Do people here feel home prices are over inflated in Mt Lebo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh