Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:11 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I am sorry to hear things have not been going that well career wise for you and your husband. I have always enjoyed seeing your posts on this forum and hope things can turn around for you and him sooner rather than later.
Thank you. I actually hope our kids stay here so that we can visit whenever we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:24 PM

39 posts, read 23,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
You are not villains at all. What is the point of online forums if people would only agree every single time for everything?

I'm sorry you have seen your friends leave. In my younger days, I got the heck out and made good money elsewhere.
You don't have to apologize. There are a lot of great places to live in this country. I left just like how they did. I live in a place where housing values go up and we are making bank here. My point was it is hard to find a good paying job in Pittsburgh with growth opportunities. Most people would agree with that. Even local economists like Chris Briem commented on low salaries and people leaving for better jobs elsewhere in a pg article back in march. I still keep up on the news there. He is somebody I follow regularly.

That said, long term I intend on making Pittsburgh work in my favor. Selfishly I hope it stays status quo with the wages and job market. Our parents still live there. In 20 years they will be in their early 80s. My wife will most likely want to move back to the area. If we continue to make bank and home values go up here we will retire in 20 years and move back. Our son will be in college, tradeschool or working. We will have stocked enough in retirement and sell our house here to further pad our retirement. We could come back and put it in low gear and coast the rest of the way as long as it stays cheap and a flyover city. We will bust hump here for the next 20 years or somewhere else if needed.

One of my friends moved to D.C. He complains about how expensive it is and that he misses Pittsburgh, but could never make the money there that he does in DC. He bought a home in the D.C. Area and paid a lot. I said you could make it work in your favor to early retirement. Bust hump for the next 20 years and take your big 401K and cash out on the D.C. House, retire and move back at 55. I think he got it as the lightbulb went on in his head after that discussion

Again, this is depending on Pittsburgh staying cheap. I had the wrong idea about Pittsburgh a few years ago. Go somewhere else, make bank on salary 401k and home. Then cash in and move back to the burgh in early retirement. My only regret is that I wish I would've figured it out sooner

Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I just get frustrated when people say you cant get ahead here, or cant without knowing someone. It does suck for some people and I understand that, but the entire region is not a wasteland of underemployed people mired in horrible jobs.
Pg article this morning highlights the shrinkage of the Pittsburgh area workforce. The PNC guy said people may be leaving Pittsburgh for better job opportunities in the upper Midwest, Michigan and Indiana!

June unemployment rate for Pittsburgh dips to 5.1 percent as region adds jobs | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 AM

684 posts, read 414,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
One of my friends moved to D.C. He complains about how expensive it is and that he misses Pittsburgh, but could never make the money there that he does in DC. He bought a home in the D.C. Area and paid a lot. I said you could make it work in your favor to early retirement. Bust hump for the next 20 years and take your big 401K and cash out on the D.C. House, retire and move back at 55
I don't get it. If he makes more but it costs more, isn't it a wash?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
He paid 500K for a house that will be paid off when he is 55. The house is now worth 700K. His 401k payment payout at age 55 would be 70K a year. If he chooses to come back to Pittsburgh he could live off of 70K a year not including making the money for his house sale.

70k a year and an additional 700K house sale is not enough to live the retirement life in Pittsburgh?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
That's what I have always thought and knew a couple who learned that quickly when lured to other cities because of higher pays. 4% of a $70k a year job will give you a much better 401k though than that same percentage of a $50k a year job of course however.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times
But here also, while big ticket items are cheaper, food is more expensive. Car and House Insurance is cheaper that New York, taxes are believe it or not less here ; but I don't mind paying as here at least you get great schools. Food, Clothes etc are all the same price of not more expensive here.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
That's what I have always thought and knew a couple who learned that quickly when lured to other cities because of higher pays. 4% of a $70k a year job will give you a much better 401k though than that same percentage of a $50k a year job of course however.
Exactly. His employer matches dollar for dollar 6 percent. It costs a ton to live in D.C., but with a higher salary comes a larger amount of money dumped into a 401K. And that equals higher payouts. Also a house worth 700K that will be paid off. If he stays in D.C. He won't be able to retire at 55 on 70K a year. In Pittsburgh you can. Then the house sale on top of it giving an additional 700K to invest or spend.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:19 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
70k a year is roughly 6k a month (before taxes). You can live practically anywhere on that, especially without a house payment.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
But here also, while big ticket items are cheaper, food is more expensive. Car and House Insurance is cheaper that New York, taxes are believe it or not less here ; but I don't mind paying as here at least you get great schools. Food, Clothes etc are all the same price of not more expensive here.
I imagine the food price issue has a lot to do with the mediocre at best competition to Giant Eagle. I'm not too shocked about the taxes, I have family out that way so I know how high they can be. At least PA has sales tax free clothes along with NY to their price limit (which I can't think of off the top of my head).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh