Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
(Trying to think of a way to respond to this diplomatically. Oh, well, not my strong suit. Deal)
What exactly did you want when you wrote these words, if not nasty little micro-aggressions in return as a form of entertainment? Just trying to keep the customer satisfied over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 PM

39 posts, read 23,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Yes, in some worlds, family and old friends are very important. However, we don't all have that luxury.As an immigrant, we never had family living close so we had to basically fend for ourselves and figure things out for ourselves. We did it and we did fine. Friends ; yes, again, we immigrated and so left old childhood friends behind and made new ones in our adopted country.Most of our friends became family to us.

However, in Pittsburgh, because many stayed to be close to family and friends, I find that people tend to stick with the people they know and it is very hard to pierce that outer layer.

Excuses are endless as to why people can't move. Honestly there is no good excuse. Immigrants such as yourself and my great grandparents had a choice. Either stay in depression/ stagnation or try to go somewhere else with few or 0 dollars in their pockets. Some never saw their family again, but it was an understanding you were coming here to do the best you possibly can. They made it and there is no reason why others born and raised here can't either.

The United States did not build its greatness on being risk adverse. It grew and became prosperous with hard work, sacrifice and taking chances. Our future and economic growth depends on people being that way. We are built on development, making as much money as possible and consumer spending. If people were risk adverse Plymouth Rock would have 300 million people living there.

I have no beef with those on this board thinking Pittsburgh is great. I am happy they feel that way. People I take issue with who complain of wages but refuse to move because of family, friends etc. You are doing a disservice to yourself and the United States by not moving to where your skills are in demand. I read an article that the US would be better off to pay full relocation benefits to folks for finding a job rather than spending endless tax dollars in declining towns and cities just to save face somebody that is trying to keep them afloat. The government does a horrible job of deciding winners and losers. Tax revenue should be spent in the growth areas where the jobs are. I would end giving money to rust belt states and cities. If they can't get their act together it is their problem. This is a free market and global economy.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,694,184 times
Everybody, have you considered getting back on topic and not discussing each other ? Have you considered that you don't actually lose anything if someone online has a different opinion ? That you don't "win" anything if you bully them into submission, or shout loud enough to make him quit ?
Think about it
And yes, this is an euphemism for the usual messages I leave in situations like this.
Yac.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 AM

39 posts, read 23,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
That's great. There are jobs and potential for people in Pittsburgh. However, Pittsburgh does not have the 10th best economy in the nation. They are using numbers that are misleading.
I guess the question I ask is livable for whom? If you ask those not living in the trendy neighborhoods or high end suburbs it probably is much different for those that are living in other areas. I just look at the wages being paid and volume of jobs available and have a hard time believing this ranking on the economy.

Bests and worst lists are always flawed. Pittsburgh is probably somewhere in the middle or end of the pack on the job front.

The low influx of newbies to the region and the population decline are directly tied to job prospects in the area. A lot of other metrics the city could score high in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh