Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
One more time. Just because they put the statue there doesn't mean the meeting actually happened there. Art can be misleading like that.
And all this time I thought Mr Rogers was born inside an old bridge abutment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Franco wasn't born at the airport?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 PM

325 posts, read 323,040 times
Quote:
One more time. Just because they put the statue there doesn't mean the meeting actually happened there. Art can be misleading like that.
Like I don't know that.... but it was close were u there?
Hating on the neighborhood big time on here.. I post two nice pictures and this smh
Don't you see the old drawing of Indians on top of grandview??

Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
Like I don't know that.... but it was close were u there?
Hating on the neighborhood big time on here.. I post two nice pictures and this smh
Don't you see the old drawing of Indians on top of grandview??
Nobody is hating on Mt Washington. I like Mt Washington a lot. We are very specifically pointing out that the claim that there is "more history here than anywhere" just doesn't make sense. That's all. The "old drawing" that you posted is not actual evidence from George Washington's time; it's a modern artistic rendering of an encounter that probably took place near what is now Point State Park.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:52 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Quote:
Nobody is hating on Mt Washington. I like Mt Washington a lot. We are very specifically pointing out that the claim that there is "more history here than anywhere" just doesn't make sense. That's all. The "old drawing" that you posted is not actual evidence from George Washington's time; it's a modern artistic rendering of an encounter that probably took place near what is now Point State Park.

Let's go as far as saying an artist did set up an easel and capture that moment in a sketch, it still looks like it took place on the Slopes not Mt. Washington. Apologies, as my undergrad degree in history must be showing, because I couldn't help myself to not counterpunch blatant factual error.

I have never been a fan of Mt Washington for personal reasons, because if I am driving up there I am lost. There are so many one way streets. However, aside from my own inability to drive...I love Shiloh Street (the Summit is one of my top 5 bars in the city) and its an all around solid neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:55 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Let's go as far as saying an artist did set up an easel and capture that moment in a sketch, it still looks like it took place on the Slopes not Mt. Washington. Apologies, as my undergrad degree in history must be showing, because I couldn't help myself to not counterpunch blatant factual error.

I have never been a fan of Mt Washington for personal reasons, because if I am driving up there I am lost. There are so many one way streets. However, aside from my own inability to drive...I love Shiloh Street (the Summit is one of my top 5 bars in the city) and its an all around solid neighborhood.
I lived up there for a year and a half after I moved to pgh and loved it. Even had a partial downtown view.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
On these boards Mt Wash does not get the respect it deserves. It is the most known and most historic neighborhood in the city... Anytime they show Pittsburgh it is from this area and when tourists come here it is the main attraction of the entire city..
I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to live in Pittsburgh and watch Mt. Washington, South Side Flats, South Side Slopes, and non-trendy parts of the South Hills be ignored. The city doesn't capitalize on what it has to offer. At all.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:06 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to live in Pittsburgh and watch Mt. Washington, South Side Flats, South Side Slopes, and non-trendy parts of the South Hills be ignored. The city doesn't capitalize on what it has to offer. At all.
If there's a demand by the buying public, it will happen.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:18 AM

969 posts, read 772,099 times
Mt. Washington is lovely, not sure who hates on it other than the usual grumps on here. I don't get up there often enough because there is enough going on near me, but I did check out the Shiloh grill a few months back. The winter weather would keep me from ever living up there, but the access to downtown seems great from certain parts.

Mt. Washington is not trendy, calling it so is just your neighborhood pride speaking, but it shouldn't be important if your neighborhood is trendy anyway.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
As an aside, I've heard from friends who live up there that the Mon Incline is often so congested (particularly with tourists on the weekend) that it's not really usable as a regular means of mass transit. It makes me wonder if the neighborhood's infrastructure could really handle a couple of mega apartment projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh