Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM

133 posts, read 97,334 times

Advertisements

Stay away from Woodland Hills school district. Very bad, high taxes and your home will not keep its value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM

68 posts, read 52,964 times
Much of Swissvale is made up of well maintained homes that are increasing in value and don't equate to a higher tax bill. Because some people want a better school district, homes are cheaper than elsewhere. If you don't have kids, you can get a better deal on a house. And because the homes are cheaper, even with a higher tax rate it works out to paying less tax.

I don't live in Swissvale but know a few people that do. Their neighborhood is nice and i'm jealous of the low price they paid for their homes.

Last edited by djfiler; 04-17-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,933,215 times
I have several friends who bought very nice houses in Swissvale and they are happy with the area. It's pretty quiet, the neighbors all know each other, and it's close to everything. And the houses are substantial brick with front porches and plenty of room. Reasonable prices and a good bang for the buck.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:08 PM

969 posts, read 764,342 times
I would recommend Swissvale to anyone looking east who is priced out of the East End. Closer to Edgewood is better, but I was surprised that the prices were creeping up.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
I basically look at Swissvale as being four different "parts"

Swissvale part of Regent Square: Very upper-middle class and low crime. Really the only downsides are the high property taxes and school situation. Houses seldom come on the market because it is so desirable though.

Portion near Swisshelm Park: More affordable. Very safe and suburbanish, but there are some businesses scattered around. Border is probably everything south of Church/west of Hanover.

Portion near Edgewood: Similar to the area near Swisshelm Park, but less walkable and a bit sketchier. The blocks north of Delaware are all fine though, with the exception of the housing complex on the hill.

South Swissvale: The worst area, though unfortunately the best if you consider access to the East Busway and business amenities. I think there's degrees even here. The areas around the Monongahela Avenue business district doesn't seem as bad as the zone sandwiched between S Braddock and the Busway.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
"The blocks north of Delaware are all fine though, with the exception of the housing complex on the hill."

Are you talking about the condos/rentals on Smokey Wood? Unless something has really changed it was always quiet and never a problem. It's also secluded downhill from where Lloyd crests, not really part of N. Swissvale geographically speaking.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:07 PM

[quote=norcider;51642473]"The blocks north of Delaware are all fine though, with the exception of the housing complex on the hill."

Are you talking about the condos/rentals on Smokey Wood? Unless something has really changed it was always quiet and never a problem. It's also secluded downhill from where Lloyd crests, not really part of N. Swissvale geographically speaking.[/QUOhttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/editor/separator.gifTE]

There have been three homicides up in that area since 2015. One was a woman from Wilkinsburg who killed her own three-year old, and dumped the body around there so that's somewhat random. The other was a double homicide (which also resulted in two people being wounded) which happened early last year. Seems that one guy was trying to rob the other and they both ended up fatally shooting each other.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:38 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
[quote=eschaton;51642662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
"The blocks north of Delaware are all fine though, with the exception of the housing complex on the hill."

Are you talking about the condos/rentals on Smokey Wood? Unless something has really changed it was always quiet and never a problem. It's also secluded downhill from where Lloyd crests, not really part of N. Swissvale geographically speaking.[/QUOhttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/editor/separator.gifTE]

There have been three homicides up in that area since 2015. One was a woman from Wilkinsburg who killed her own three-year old, and dumped the body around there so that's somewhat random. The other was a double homicide (which also resulted in two people being wounded) which happened early last year. Seems that one guy was trying to rob the other and they both ended up fatally shooting each other.
That's too bad then, it wasn't like that when I was up there in the early 2000's. Also had a friend who lived there and spent some time visiting other people in the community. I remember the woman who dumped her toddler on the dead end road but I wasn't aware she lived in the Forest community.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:21 PM

233 posts, read 135,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I basically look at Swissvale as being four different "parts"

Swissvale part of Regent Square: Very upper-middle class and low crime. Really the only downsides are the high property taxes and school situation. Houses seldom come on the market because it is so desirable though.

Portion near Swisshelm Park: More affordable. Very safe and suburbanish, but there are some businesses scattered around. Border is probably everything south of Church/west of Hanover.

Portion near Edgewood: Similar to the area near Swisshelm Park, but less walkable and a bit sketchier. The blocks north of Delaware are all fine though, with the exception of the housing complex on the hill.

South Swissvale: The worst area, though unfortunately the best if you consider access to the East Busway and business amenities. I think there's degrees even here. The areas around the Monongahela Avenue business district doesn't seem as bad as the zone sandwiched between S Braddock and the Busway.
what he said.

a lot rental in the area close by regent square just market themselves as regent square.
they are like poor man's regent square

Old 04-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
a lot rental in the area close by regent square just market themselves as regent square.
they are like poor man's regent square
Are you talking about the blocks directly facing Edgewood Town Center? That area always seemed pretty safe and desirable to me as well. Even has its own little business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh