U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM

22 posts, read 37,306 times
Default South Hills T-Station

Hey all,
I am thinking of just driving to the South Hills station and taking the T to Gateway Center instead of moving right away. How is the park and ride lot there? Anyone extremely opposed to this idea? I just want to get my footing and make sure I am not going to lose my contract before I uproot myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:32 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,427 times
I'd need to know more details before making a firm recommendation, but on its face, anytime you can take mass transit into the central city area and not add to the polution & congestion already there, it sounds like a good thing....

Also cheaper, not to have to pay for daily parking!!!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,000,982 times
By all means, take the T. I love riding the T. I live in South Park, but unfortunately, my job is not located downtown and can't take the T to work. But I had a few days of jury duty recently and took the T in from the Library station. It was convenient and relaxing, much better than fighting traffic through the tunnels.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM

485 posts, read 900,048 times
f y i - the Gateway Center station is closed from 2009 - 2011 during construction of the new North Shore Connector. You'll have to take it to the Wood Street Station and hoof it from there.

Gateway T station to close next year

Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM

416 posts, read 922,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I'd need to know more details before making a firm recommendation, but on its face, anytime you can take mass transit into the central city area and not add to the polution & congestion already there, it sounds like a good thing....

Also cheaper, not to have to pay for daily parking!!!!!
My wife occasionally takes the 'T' from SHV to town. I think peak rates from there are now $3.15 each way and they charge you $2 to park there!!!

There are places in the strip near where she works at Federated Tower that only charge $6. Of course you need to factor in gas and wear on the car.

Buying a monthly pass would be better if she took it consistently.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM

269 posts, read 702,280 times
Unfortunately in Western P.A., the #1 goal of the transit organization is high paying jobs for friends and for retirees. It is very expensive, and very poorly run. It will take you longer to take the T from South Hills Village than it would be to drive. And depending on what the parking situation is, the costs could be just as bad.

There are more retirees on the payroll at PAT Transit than there are active employees. The average age of a retiree is the low 50's.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Right now I am paying to park at the wharf and when it's closed I pay anywhere from 13 - 15 a day to park (once got nailed for 18). I know the monthly pass to take the T is 100 bucks or about there, with the parking pass for SHV. Plus, let's face it, 279 at Greentree sucks in the morning. But I just have not been adventurous enough to take the T yet.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:45 PM

12,949 posts, read 10,243,359 times
Quote:
It will take you longer to take the T from South Hills Village than it would be to drive.
This is not true at all. Because light rail is on dedicated tracks, it doesn't get stuck in traffic. From SHV, going up Washington and Banksville Rds at a crawl would take much longer than 30 minutes.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-14-2008 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 PM

176 posts, read 518,818 times
Not quite sure where some of the numbers are coming from, about the T....Passes are $ 20.00 weekly or $ 80.00 monthly...

Park and rides are typically $2 to $3...depending on which lots..

It takes 35 minutes, to ride the T from South Hills Village....So depending on which stop your at in the S.Hills , time will vary...Definetly the FASTEST and CLEANEST mode of public transportation, in this city

Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks everyone, if I don't move up to the burgh or outlying areas, this is what I will do (but I am really looking at Mt. Lebo or Crafton as a moving point). Is the T pretty easy to figure out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh