U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:56 AM

949 posts, read 507,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74636407

penn hills you get great bang for buck and its not a depressed area like elliot
Penn Hills is not in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,489,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Hi everyone, I have been thinking of various threads about whether or not housing in Pittsburgh is affordable, so I just wanted to start a hypothetical thread -- just looking to learn about local real estate, not planning to buy -- by asking what you would buy, and where, with $50k. I'm especially curious to see the comparison between different areas, and city/suburban comparisons.

I picked $50k because it strikes me as a price range in which Pittsburgh is very interesting -- in most cities with football teams etc, $50k won't get you much at all, but it can actually buy a good starter home here, or a bigger house with "great bones" needing rehab, or even a truly nice house in a dodgy location. It's the variety that interests me, so I am just curious to see what people would do. I'm also curious to see how people respond to suggestions from others.

Here's an example that caught my eye in my neighborhood -- this part of Spring Hill is not really walkable to anything, but there's a bus stop close by that gets you downtown really quickly, and you can drive to 279 in a flash. It's not an affluent neighborhood, but not a bad one either; I wouldn't expect this house to appreciate wildly but it would hold value and be a nice place to live cheaply. (It's already under contract by the way, so at least someone thinks it's a good deal.)

2439 Sunset Ave, Spring Hill, PA 15212 - realtor.com®
Used to play in a Softball league based out of Big Cat Pat's Bar and we played many of our games at the Field near that place.

Has potential, for me.

BTW, does the Bar still exist?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM

1,982 posts, read 1,631,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Penn Hills is not in the city.
You missed the part in the OP about being "especially interested" in "city/suburban comparisons".

Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 PM

1,929 posts, read 1,426,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Used to play in a Softball league based out of Big Cat Pat's Bar and we played many of our games at the Field near that place.

Has potential, for me.

BTW, does the Bar still exist?
Big Cat Pat (Pat Mullen) went though a divorce. As I understand the ex wife got the bar and renamed it Zangaro's (she was a Zangaro I think, old North Side family) and he now has the diner near Heinz, called Mullen's Diner. The diner servers alcohol, go figure.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:45 PM

949 posts, read 507,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
You missed the part in the OP about being "especially interested" in "city/suburban comparisons".
I did miss that part, my bad. This thread is gonna get pretty big if anyone starts looking in the Mon valley.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,222,634 times
Quote:
Yes, thanks Stanwix...I really don't want to fight about city vs suburb here; I just want to learn more about what $50k or so will get in this area. It's really interesting reading all the responses about how quickly values have gone up; I suppose living in Spring Hill has given me a distorted sense that there are still "plenty" of cheap properties around.

I'm enjoying the listings people have shared, though I admit the best part of the thread so far has been learning about Big Cat Pat. We have been meaning to try Mullen's but didn't know the back story...

Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 PM

1,929 posts, read 1,426,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes, thanks Stanwix...I really don't want to fight about city vs suburb here; I just want to learn more about what $50k or so will get in this area. It's really interesting reading all the responses about how quickly values have gone up; I suppose living in Spring Hill has given me a distorted sense that there are still "plenty" of cheap properties around.

I'm enjoying the listings people have shared, though I admit the best part of the thread so far has been learning about Big Cat Pat. We have been meaning to try Mullen's but didn't know the back story...
Zangaro's is currently for sale. They are asking 750K for the bar/restaurant, and at least one apartment upstairs. I think it's high. Also read the new owner would have to have it removed from the potential nuisance bar list that it's currently on.

Hope it's OK to link here:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20341...Pittsburgh-PA/

Old 08-22-2017, 02:56 PM

325 posts, read 220,822 times
Quote:
owned.. the poster said suburban as well

Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,754,188 times
This house is located in the East Hills section of the city. It is a corner lot and faces a quiet neighborhood but the side yard is on a very busy boulevard.

1618 Sunrise Ave, Homewood, PA 15221 - realtor.com®

Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,222,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I did miss that part, my bad. This thread is gonna get pretty big if anyone starts looking in the Mon valley.
Oh sorry, somehow I missed this until just now -- no worries, and I would absolutely love if people shared some Mon valley gems on here. It's just fun to learn more about what's out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or