Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With which geographic region do you associate Pittsburgh, PA?
Midwestern US 18 22.78%
Northeastern US 45 56.96%
Other 16 20.25%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,641,009 times

Advertisements

I almost derailed another thread with this discussion. It was (appropriately) reeled in, but I got thinking, "Hey, this is a decent discussion that should be had with the larger group.", so what are your thoughts?

Is Pittsburgh a Midwestern city, like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinatti, and Indianapolis?
Or
Is Pittsburgh a Northeastern city, like New York, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, and Baltimore?

Or is it something else entirely? I'm not from Pittsburgh so I don't know that my input is the most valid, but my perspective is that Pittsburgh is a part of the Great Lakes Megalopolis, rather than the Northeastern Megalopolis. This geographically places it with the Midwestern cities. Additionally the industry and culture of Pittsburgh was traditionally more manufacturing, again placing it with the Midwestern culture. Its relative proximity to the Great Lakes rather than the Atlantic Ocean, and its geography placing it on the western side of the Appalachian Mountains also play into my choice.

The counter of this would naturally be that Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania is considered by most to be a Northeastern state, and certainly not a Midwestern state. Additionally, I have already admitted that I am not from Pittsburgh. Maybe someone from there can tell me the city is more like Eastern cities than it is like the Midwestern cities, and state their reasons behind this.

So.. in summary, Pittsburgh: Midwest or Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,930,847 times
No. Neither.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:01 PM

4,172 posts, read 2,911,861 times
Philadelphia was just as industrial as Pittsburgh. Would you consider Philadelphia Midwestern? Please look at a map of Pennsylvania then explain to me why Pittsburgh would be considered a great lake city. Pittsburgh is two hours removed from the great lakes region. Pittsburgh is within the state of PA. Pennsylvania is a northeastern mid atlantic state.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:04 PM

9,874 posts, read 5,535,674 times
I've lived in the Midwest all my life. I visited Pittsburgh a few years ago to see a couple games at PNC. At least in terms of the built environment, there's nothing like it in the Midwest except maybe Cincinnati, which itself is barely in the Midwest. It definitely felt like an old-school East Coast city to me.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,830,993 times
Had to select other because obviously Pittsburgh is Mid-Atlantic.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,890,471 times
Growing up in Western PA we always considered ourselves part of the Northeast. Any weather map flashed on the news shows PA as part of the Northeast. When you heard that there might be a snow storm hitting the Northeast, we paid attention. Hearing the term Midwest never perked our ears.

There are always going to be exceptions, and outsiders always come up with reason Pittsburgh is not a Northeastern city. Accents, peoples behaviors, building styles, and city layouts....but as someone who has spent a lifetime in Western PA, I can say that at least in the small little backwoods area where I am from...we definitely felt Northeastern. Now that being said it's not like the topic ever came up.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,093,421 times
Not this **** again!! There are several threads in this forum anyone can search about this instead of people who have never been here again and again bringing up this question to claim the city is in the Midwest.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,379,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Philadelphia was just as industrial as Pittsburgh. Would you consider Philadelphia Midwestern? Please look at a map of Pennsylvania then explain to me why Pittsburgh would be considered a great lake city. Pittsburgh is two hours removed from the great lakes region. Pittsburgh is within the state of PA. Pennsylvania is a northeastern mid atlantic state.
Yeah but its like 6 hours from the ocean. Is El Paso Gulf Coast?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:47 PM

969 posts, read 763,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Yeah but its like 6 hours from the ocean. Is El Paso Gulf Coast?
Hence Northeast instead of Northcoast. But nice try.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:50 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,431,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Not this **** again!! There are several threads in this forum anyone can search about this instead of people who have never been here again and again bringing up this question to claim the city is in the Midwest.

Copy that. Besides, the correct answer is Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh