Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Why is it not considered hip? (Not challenging you - just asking for more info.)
Any place that is a chain, serves well drinks by the gallon in a plastic cup after 9 pm, actively recruits bachelorette parties to show up, references the "hit" ABC show Nashville filming there as a reason to drop by is probably not considered hip in todays lexicon. But to each their own, and those places are definitely popular. I have a few friends that love it down there. I haven't been down there in years but I have heard TC is packed Thursday through Saturday. Keep in mind, that not everyone has the same tastes and not everything has to devolve into a passive aggressive bickerfest between tech elites/new Pgh/East End/yuppies/1%ers and the "real Pittsburgh." (Pgh423...Not that you are the one being passive aggressive, but its easy to sense when these threads start to take that turn)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Any place that is a chain, serves well drinks by the gallon in a plastic cup after 9 pm, actively recruits bachelorette parties to show up, references the "hit" ABC show Nashville filming there as a reason to drop by is probably not considered hip in todays lexicon. But to each their own, and those places are definitely popular. I have a few friends that love it down there. I haven't been down there in years but I have heard TC is packed Thursday through Saturday. Keep in mind, that not everyone has the same tastes and not everything has to devolve into a passive aggressive bickerfest between tech elites/new Pgh/East End/yuppies/1%ers and the "real Pittsburgh." (Pgh423...Not that you are the one being passive aggressive, but its easy to sense when these threads start to take that turn)
i agree to an extent but i would hardly call the second location of southern tier and average sports bar. i think the line between the people that go to both the new and old pittsburgh establishments is pretty blurred everywhere but this forum. the north shore doesn't really attract "a certain person" any more than other areas of the city. it just depends on what one is looking for in their night out. i mean, the gq article praised gooskis and the ace hotel. or do people like gooskis in an ironic way?

Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
My wife lived in the Mexican War Streets back in the 80's. Everyone in her apt building had their car stolen at least once. Not her, she drove a RX-7 with a stick. The dumbing down of the American criminal, it's sad.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I wish I were young enough to still care about Hip vs Popular. Alas I see on the Active threads from around the forum there on the side with "I can't climb the stairs" or Do you have those Sunday - Saturday pill containers. Not there yet but it's closer than my next hangover from being out and about.

Yep, bargain hunting the real estate listings sounds hip enough for me.

However I do miss the sour beer smell of the South Side bars, parking god knows where...

Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My wife lived in the Mexican War Streets back in the 80's. Everyone in her apt building had their car stolen at least once. Not her, she drove a RX-7 with a stick. The dumbing down of the American criminal, it's sad.
OK, but doesn't that belong in a Mexican War Streets thread and not a North Shore thread?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 AM

Thought it was part of it. Damn, better stay in the 'burbs.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 AM

Anyone remember the old 222 bar there? Great dive.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post

It has put a hurt on the South Side for sure. I know because I am at both areas on the weekends. The Flats, Marios, and Local are the only busy places on Carson anymore.
I wish we were buds!

I can't remember the last time I went somewhere that was not for music - just to hang out and "be".
But then, without a band I want to see, I might be bored.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
OK, but doesn't that belong in a Mexican War Streets thread and not a North Shore thread?
But Copa's brief stories are refreshing!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Thought it was part of it. Damn, better stay in the 'burbs.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or anything. It's just a constant weird thing that people don't understand the difference between the North side and the North shore, and this thread seemed to be a good place to make sure the distinction is kept clear.

As for the other argument, we do go to the North Shore sometimes; when we have friends from out of town they often want to just be near Heinz Field (even if it's not football season, it's a breathtaking location for a stadium as you all know), and the restaurants are fine. I think people were just objecting to the idea that it is now THE place to go. A lot of people love Pittsburgh for its quirky, unique, old-timey neighborhoods. The North Shore is convenient for a certain type of restaurant, but the people who visit us are much more likely to remember the Strip District or Millvale or Western Ave as truly memorable and special. I absolutely see the appeal of the North Shore, but I can also see where it attracts a certain crowd, and why a lot of people (myself included) would be a little ambivalent about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh