Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Unless someone has lived here before, has family, or a job waiting for them, few are flocking to da 'burgh to live.
This is absolutely true. Outside of LA, NYC, and probably some places in Florida, this is essentially true everywhere in the US. It generally isn't advisable to move somewhere without a job unless you don't need one to afford to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
This is absolutely true. Outside of LA, NYC, and probably some places in Florida, this is essentially true everywhere in the US. It generally isn't advisable to move somewhere without a job unless you don't need one to afford to live.
It certainly applies to most everywhere in the US, however, without pro-active police, functioning water system, smooth streets, jobs they're qualified for, etc..., da 'burgh isn't going to win out to other cities that have these services.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:25 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I moved here because Pittsburgh, at the time, was a city where you could comfortably afford to rent a 1-BR apartment on a low salary. The city is now losing that competitive advantage of rental affordability, and now that I can add a painful romantic break-up to this list (not the city's fault, of course) I'll likely be relocating in 2018.
I'm sorry to read this news, and wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do in the future.
My advice to you would be to try to get a job with the County instead of the City and look into a first-ring suburb. Happy to answer questions about either if you shoot me a PM.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:14 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I'm sorry to read this news, and wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do in the future.
My advice to you would be to try to get a job with the County instead of the City and look into a first-ring suburb. Happy to answer questions about either if you shoot me a PM.
i echo Tyovan's sentiments. i joined City-data at about the time SCR did. His former place of residence was the same as mine, and his repulsion of it, like mine. i think he probably has me on ignore, but i do feel sad that it did not work out for him here. In fact, as much of an optimist and outwardly focused personality as he is (was?), i actually feel deflated.

but good luck to him - he's not even 30, i think. he has a long road ahead of him and he will be thrive elsewhere.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Tyovan4, if only you were mayor.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,041 times
My understanding was that the high tech trash cans were a creative way to cut down labor cost (only emptying cans that need to be emptied) while making sure cans are not overflowing. I get that it's an easy fun postfuturistic thing to mock Peduto for, but I haven't seen a better solution.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
My understanding was that the high tech trash cans were a creative way to cut down labor cost (only emptying cans that need to be emptied) while making sure cans are not overflowing. I get that it's an easy fun postfuturistic thing to mock Peduto for, but I haven't seen a better solution.
But don't you see; emptying trash cans that don't need to be emptied is a JOB that average Pittsburghers can do. We need more jobs, except not tech jobs. People need to make more money, but housing costs need to be like they were when the city was in free-fall. Also, no one deserves 15 pr even 12/hr for flipping burgers. Peduto needs to fix 40 years worth of crumbling infrastructure without raising taxes or accumulating any more debt.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
Quote:

It is also a safety issue. These cans can sense when something of significant weight is dropped into them. So lets say during a parade, three cans along the parade route suddenly increase in weight by say 30lbs each, they can send someone out to check into it, ensuring someone wasn't planning a mass casualty explosion.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:06 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,074 times
Quote:
Be fun to have them auto-emptying. It can call for service and a "robot" self-driving truck can empty it with no human help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh