Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Probably safe to assume that is a typo...high 5 figures, low 6 figures.
Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe.
obviously a typo. come on.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Seriously? High 4 to low 5 figures is about $10K/year. That is roughly $5/hr, lower than minimum wage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Probably safe to assume that is a typo...high 5 figures, low 6 figures.
Quote:
Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
obviously a typo. come on.
Group hug time yet? If and when I visit Boulder, which I've wanted to do for ages, I owe Katarina Witt lunch!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfiler View Post
Having earned a masters from the school of computer science at CMU, I feel comfortable in disputing this. A large percentage of my fellow graduates would have stayed in Pittsburgh if jobs were available.

For undergrads, high 5-figure salaries are enough for them to buy a home here immediately upon starting their career. In many other tech cities, people earning 2 to 3 times as much still can't afford homes near the CBD. Tech workers in other cities are forced to cohabitate or endure long commutes. That's a very real phenomenon outside of Pittsburgh. In some metro areas, graduates can't afford to rent by themselves unless they're willing to drive 2 or 3 hours a day.
but don't the highest performers get jobs that outweigh the COL in those areas? Even if it negates the high salary and pittsburgh would be comparable, you are still in the bay area and can accumulate money and move somewhere else later on. i hear you though for someone looking to buy a house. it is more a lifestyle thing then.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 AM

68 posts, read 53,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
but don't the highest performers get jobs that outweigh the COL in those areas? Even if it negates the high salary and pittsburgh would be comparable, you are still in the bay area and can accumulate money and move somewhere else later on. i hear you though for someone looking to buy a house. it is more a lifestyle thing then.
Certainly to a degree, no disputing that successful CMU grads can make a go of it in the bay area. Many won't be buying a house as soon though. Median home price in the bay area is nearly $800,000 as compared to $130,000 in Pittsburgh.

Either way, the top CMU people can have their pick. But that's not everyone Amazon is looking to employee. Grunts of the software trade don't make nearly as much. A lot of CS grads spend their early years writing documentation, conducting studies, performing validation or doing repetitive data crunching. That pays a lot less than creative, development or research positions.

Edit: A couple links on tech employees affording housing...

LA Times
Buying a Bay Area home is now a stretch even for Apple and Google engineers

Business Insider
How much Apple, Facebook employees have to pay to live near work - Business Insider

Mercury News
Buying a Bay Area home now a struggle even for Apple, Google engineers

Last edited by djfiler; 04-16-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Group hug time yet? If and when I visit Boulder, which I've wanted to do for ages, I owe Katarina Witt lunch!
Yeah, I could use a group hug, considering the reception I usually get on this board. Thanks, SCR, and when you get out here, we'll go someplace nice! Just let me know what kind of food you like.

As far as the typo issue, I take what people post at face value. There are people out there, jea, who still think $10K is a living wage.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Imagining that Pittsburgh has more weather and geologic risks than anywhere else in the country is ridiculous. Pittsburgh, in fact, has less of this than a lot of the rest of the country. Having lived in a hurricane prone area, where you had to watch the development of every tropical storm to assess your risk, Pittsburgh is a piece of cake. This is reflected in our homeowners insurance rates. Do you buy tropical storm insurance? No. Do you buy earthquake insurance? No. A lot of tornadoes? No.

We've had twice as much precipitation as usual since January. A record amount in fact. Never seen in the records dating back to 1870. It probably won't be seen again for at least another 150 years.

The biggest hazard I've observed is the astonishing number of house fires in the area. Old homes, not enough maintenance. There's your risk.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM

716 posts, read 765,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

Look at the infrastructure here and tell me it's not fraying. Look at PWSA. It was on the bring of complete systematic failure. Look at our roads. Look at the Amtrak schedule, it's minimal. Look at the airport - with a closed off terminal. Yes, some cool international destinations have been added. But look at domestic availability.
There is no terminal closed off at the airport; the former commuter terminal had been demolished years ago I believe. If you have a problem with the infrastructure or the Amtrak schedule that is largely the responsibility of the state (PENNDOT) not the city of Pittsburgh itself in most cases. If you think it's any better in Philadelphia you're kidding yourself. PENNDOT subsidizes the Pennsylvanian and Keystone trains, so perhaps our lawmakers need to make equitable funding for both the eastern and western sides of the state more of a priority.

Curious as to which domestic destinations are lacking from PIT as well?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
I feel like this may be a good time to remind everyone that punctuation is our friend. That and being able to read thru a typo to understand what someone was saying.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Subways swamped as heavy rains drench NYC.

But there are no weather hazards anywhere else but Pittsburgh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....rench-nyc/amp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh