Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I still always come back to payroll. Amazon can pay a lot of people in Pittsburgh high 4 to low 5 figures and they will feel like they are making great money. In DC or NY, they can't even afford rent and bills on those salaries. Extrapolate that over a decade and 20-50k people and the financials of going to a cheaper city are quite obvious.

Seattle was not an expensive city when they started up, and now its very expensive. I can't believe that they are not seriously taking payroll cost into consideration when its the single largest expense of the company.

Amazon is going to end up where ever they believe will be the best to continue to grow and profit over the next 20+ years.
Imo the negatives outweigh this positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,453,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Imo the negatives outweigh this positive.
do shareholders feel the same? I think that is the bigger question.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
do shareholders feel the same? I think that is the bigger question.
Obviously...and I just don’t see them choosing here, and only time will tell.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM

133 posts, read 97,801 times
There are so many under employed talented people here who live here already. I hope they choose this region. We need decent paying jobs for our people who are already here.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 PM

377 posts, read 665,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
There is no terminal closed off at the airport; the former commuter terminal had been demolished years ago I believe. If you have a problem with the infrastructure or the Amtrak schedule that is largely the responsibility of the state (PENNDOT) not the city of Pittsburgh itself in most cases. If you think it's any better in Philadelphia you're kidding yourself. PENNDOT subsidizes the Pennsylvanian and Keystone trains, so perhaps our lawmakers need to make equitable funding for both the eastern and western sides of the state more of a priority.
Curious as to which domestic destinations are lacking from PIT as well?
33% of the Gates at Pittsburgh airport have been closed off and they are planning a $1B+ overhaul, which they expect the airlines to pay for. Good luck with that. IMO, it's an HQ2 strategy ploy - but a pretty good one. If implemented, it'd likely either make PIT one of the most expensive airports in the country for airlines, OR require a partial subsidy via taxes. Where are the provable very close in population and wealth projections to support such an expense? Excluding Canada, so far there is 1 route stable carrier (DL), which offers international service - and that's seasonal to Paris. Icelandair just started year round service to Iceland and Thomas Cook Travel (WOW) started seasonal service to Germany.

Have you even researched your infrastructure claims, or even been to Philadelphia? Philadelphia 30th Street is Amtrak's 3rd busiest station with several Amtrak corporate offices (HQ is in DC) and 4.5M (Million) annual RIDERS and that doesn't include Regional Rail at Suburban Station. Pittsburgh has 145K (2017). Harrisburg has over 500K. https://www.amtrak.com/about-amtrak/...nal-facts.html
Additionally SEPTA integrates seamlessly with Amtrak at 30th Street Station and provides direct rail access from there to many locations, including a real International Airport. There are 14 M-F Amtrak trains between Philadelphia and Harrisburg and 1 between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg - and that's a thru train to Philadelphia. Guess its solely because Penndot hates Pittsburgh - Huh? Why should the state subsidize more Pittsburgh Amtrak service ? To where? There needs to be proven projected ridership on a route to produce state subsidies. The Philadelphia - Harrisburg Line had a $9.6M FY2018 Subsidy for the total 14 M-F Trains + several Weekend ones. The Pittsburgh - New York (via Philadelphia and Harrisburg) Line had a $4M FY 2018 - for 1 Train. Many Amtrak routes are supported via State and Local subsidies, so this is not at all unique to Pennsylvania.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,633,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah. There's a reason why there's a huge outflux of techies from the Bay Area to Austin these days. You can make serious cheddar in a high cost area, and still have to live with roommates.
Yes. I have a friend in SF whose mother recently passed away. They will be renting out her home for $10k a month. They expect that their tenants will be roommates working in tech.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,633,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfiler View Post
Certainly to a degree, no disputing that successful CMU grads can make a go of it in the bay area. Many won't be buying a house as soon though. Median home price in the bay area is nearly $800,000 as compared to $130,000 in Pittsburgh.

Either way, the top CMU people can have their pick. But that's not everyone Amazon is looking to employee. Grunts of the software trade don't make nearly as much. A lot of CS grads spend their early years writing documentation, conducting studies, performing validation or doing repetitive data crunching. That pays a lot less than creative, development or research positions.

Edit: A couple links on tech employees affording housing...

LA Times
Buying a Bay Area home is now a stretch even for Apple and Google engineers

Business Insider
How much Apple, Facebook employees have to pay to live near work - Business Insider

Mercury News
Buying a Bay Area home now a struggle even for Apple, Google engineers
Median home prices in San Francisco and much of Silicon Valley are roughly $1.2 million. Former neighbors of mine in Redwood City just sold their home for $1.415 million. It's a 1200sf very ordinary 3bdr, 2ba suburban ranch house in one of Redwood City's least expensive neighborhoods. Considered a starter home.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,666,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Imagining that Pittsburgh has more weather and geologic risks than anywhere else in the country is ridiculous. Pittsburgh, in fact, has less of this than a lot of the rest of the country. Having lived in a hurricane prone area, where you had to watch the development of every tropical storm to assess your risk, Pittsburgh is a piece of cake. This is reflected in our homeowners insurance rates. Do you buy tropical storm insurance? No. Do you buy earthquake insurance? No. A lot of tornadoes? No.
I know, right?

Better weather than Pittsburgh

OH TEH ****ING NOES I KENT SURVIVE TIHS SIHT EVAR!!!!!!!!!?

Hey, at least the sun will be shining while you pick up the pieces of your livelihood out of your neighbor's yard, and you can even whistle a cheerful tune while you do so.

Such a beautiful, sunny day.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
^^Care to tell us where these pictures were taken? Are these cities that are in competition? Where's that one with the 1/10th inch of snow from?

Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,709,737 times
10 posts have been deleted.
If you feel someone is a troll, contact a mod about him. Let me know. Let me handle it. Continue calling people trolls, and you might find yourself in a bizarre situation, where the part of your post that was on topic was 100% correct, but the part that was angry and personal earned you a posting restriction and the post is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh