Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 12:06 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Seeing the news over the weekend about Sears declaring bankruptcy and how it was the "Amazon of its time," makes me wonder if any city should be hitching its star to one company. Competition being what it is, it's only a matter of time before something comes along that will topple Amazon from its throne. Sears was thought indestructible at one time, too: was the world's largest retailer, was innovative, and pioneered the concept of mail order.

Eventually, the same thing will inevitably happen with Amazon. No company stays on top forever.
Going into a Sears became like going into a store filled with stuff that was the same old thing, and imo that happened years ago. Reminds me of Kmart when WalMart moved in everywhere.

When you have mostly everything like Amazon does and it can be at your door in a day or 2, you’re not going anywhere for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Seeing the news over the weekend about Sears declaring bankruptcy and how it was the "Amazon of its time," makes me wonder if any city should be hitching its star to one company. Competition being what it is, it's only a matter of time before something comes along that will topple Amazon from its throne. Sears was thought indestructible at one time, too: was the world's largest retailer, was innovative, and pioneered the concept of mail order.

Eventually, the same thing will inevitably happen with Amazon. No company stays on top forever.
You could say that about most all businesses. Amazon wouldn't be the largest employer in our area if they came anyway, so I see no point here. Sort of like saying, ah, Amazon will only be around 50 to 100 years, so why bother. Can't predict the future of a company. A bird in the hand.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
You all have good points that I hadn't considered. Yes, I agree that Amazon certainly is not going anywhere for a very long time. Wherever it lands, it will be there for the long term, and companies can adapt to changing times and tastes. If they don't, they won't survive. I just wouldn't want to see us go through with Amazon what we went through 35 years ago with steel. And Seattle went through it in the 70s with Boeing's drastic cutbacks.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
You all have good points that I hadn't considered. Yes, I agree that Amazon certainly is not going anywhere for a very long time. Wherever it lands, it will be there for the long term, and companies can adapt to changing times and tastes. If they don't, they won't survive. I just wouldn't want to see us go through with Amazon what we went through 35 years ago with steel. And Seattle went through it in the 70s with Boeing's drastic cutbacks.
If you’re going to live that long ago in the past then it’s unlikely you’re going to want anything coming here?

Old 10-15-2018, 01:32 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I think it would be pretty exciting for them to come here. I think we can handle it: the 50,000 jobs would be spread out over 15 or so years, it would create thousands more jobs in ancillary and support services like builders, furniture stores, it would give us an economic jolt, and bring a lot of new people from around the country and around the world to give us a much more diverse population than we have.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM
gg

Quote:
I think it would be pretty exciting for them to come here. I think we can handle it: the 50,000 jobs would be spread out over 15 or so years, it would create thousands more jobs in ancillary and support services like builders, furniture stores, it would give us an economic jolt, and bring a lot of new people from around the country and around the world to give us a much more diverse population than we have.
It would be great on so many levels. Just thinking about all the wonderful homes that would be saved.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM

377 posts, read 667,240 times
Quote:

Yep, here are some photos of the massive Sears regional store in Philadelphia on Roosevelt Blvd. - a destination in itself during the 50s/60s. Now it's a shopping center with squat 2 story structures - the Sears Tower was imploded in 1994.
Phila PA Chronicles: Keeping time by the Sears Clocktower

Old 10-16-2018, 05:34 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:

So we would have a better city today if the steel industry never came here?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
It would be better for the area overall, there is room out that way and while there would be traffic increases they have the ROW to expand as needed. Also during rush hours you wouldnt have yet more people flowing into and out of the city in the same directions. It would also help spread out housing demand.
Is that being considered? Cranberry would be a fantastic landing spot for Amazon. There's so much to do up there. I loved working up there. At lunch I had so many options for food, for going to the park, playing frisbee golf, etc. and it's even better than it was then!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:34 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
So we would have a better city today if the steel industry never came here?
Great point. Look at our housing stock. We have so many homes that would cost a million or more to build today just sitting there waiting for someone to fix them back up. Luckily they are fixing many of them up in the core areas. I just drove down Negley in Highland Park and was impressed that some of those HUGE homes are being fixed up. The steel industry built our city and we still have those bones. Look at Perry Hilltop and Observatory Hill. Those homes are incredible and some are being saved, but not nearly enough. We really could use Amazon just to rebuild those once incredible neighborhoods. Just think about little places like Sharpsburg, Etna, Homestead (well not little) and other areas that are just waiting to get back to their glory days. It could happen if we get Amazon. It isn't a very likely chance, but I can't help but to think about all are areas that are so run down, that could be saved. East Liberty lost a lot of great places, but it is reinventing itself even with the crazy violent crime there. Still can't get that poor fellow that lost his life the other day delivering a damn pizza in the middle of broad daylight. Makes me sick.

Anyway, we could use the shot in the arm, but even without Amazon, I think we will do pretty well. We just need to be more progressive and don't let the idiot protestors that block jobs like that Whole Foods expansion destroy our city and hold it back. We need progressive thinking, not protestors hanging on to the good old days of dilapidation and tons of litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh