Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah and that is the nice thing about this area, on average people are not as materialistic. I know there are still some that show off but I know Dr and Lawyers who have an average house and car. Many people buy a house and never move and keep their car until they NEED a new one. I grew up in NJ which is not like that and assumed that is how people were, everyone trying to one up each other. I managed some disaster work after Sandy hit and one person who came in to work was from Montana, his first comment to me after being there a week was how does everyone seem to have a new car.

My boss who moved here from Charlotte said that is what struck him as the oddest thing about this area. You never know if you neighbor driving a 2008 Ford has a couple million in their bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
I agree about not showing off. Almost like it's a reverse way to show off. My neighbor has more money than God, but you would never know by the car he drives or they way he acts.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I agree about not showing off. Almost like it's a reverse way to show off. My neighbor has more money than God, but you would never know by the car he drives or they way he acts.

It may also play into the "old money" versus "new money" mentality and the idea of quantity versus quality.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:52 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
Rumors through the grapevine: they are very interested in Arlington County, VA, specifically the unincorporated area called Crystal City, which is poised to be a massively redeveloped area.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Rumors through the grapevine: they are very interested in Arlington County, VA, specifically the unincorporated area called Crystal City, which is poised to be a massively redeveloped area.
It would make a lot of sense. They've always said they were looking for something urban, and this is right on the Blue and Yellow Metro Lines (Crystal City), just one stop from National Airport. Also not far from the Pentagon, Pentagon City, and Alexandria.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It must be ingrained into Pittsburgh natives. I just bought a new car for the first time, and I was able to buy a premium SUV outright. The salesman couldn't believe it.

2000 Honda crvs are great cars man! (Had 200,000 miles). I already miss it, well kind of. It just didn't make sense to me to toss something away that wasn't broken. Might be different for someone that's into cars though

Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM

615 posts, read 393,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Not really surprising. I have heard Loudoun County as well. I think DC is where they want to be all along. The whole Amazon bid was just a ploy for the city they wanted to bid against everybody else. I don’t agree with the giveaways, but Bezos was brilliant to do this and people have been seduced into thinking their city had a chance. Not to mention the free advertising and marketing. If they do in fact choose DC I guess they were smart enough to realize choosing a cheaper city and paying cheaper salaries would not be a good business move. Especially when they work you to death and it is a constant revolving door. As I’ve heard from Seattle folks

Old 10-21-2018, 07:03 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
No, this wasn't just an exercise to get to "where they wanted to go all along" and cause a bidding war.

This is much more complex than city data forumers think.

DC was always a top contender because it offers a lot.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
DC was always a top contender because it offers a lot.
It certainly does offer a lot, but it is also very expensive. And I mean VERY!

Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 PM

615 posts, read 393,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It certainly does offer a lot, but it is also very expensive. And I mean VERY!
New York City, Chicago, Miami and Newark all received second Amazon visits. Looks like they will place this HQ in an expensive large city. I still think DC is their first choice.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/19/t...mpression=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh