Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,953,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Creating that many amazon.com jobs to Pgh would enormously increase the COL here. No thanks.
. Economic growth...boo, go away yucky businesses..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,488,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
So wages would also go up enough for non-Amazonians to afford the increased cost of renting here? Thanks! I feel better now!

Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 PM

147 posts, read 182,494 times
Quote:
Well I'm more concerned with an ever tightening rental market and further gentrification. I have nothing against 50k good paying jobs because that means more money in the pockets of working people which goes back into the economy.

Of course the real issue, which has been for the past 15 or more years, is the skyrocketing housing, healthcare and education costs while wages have either stagnated or declined for millions of working people. The standard of living for most Americans has fallen, millions in the lower brackets are doing worse than before.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So wages would also go up enough for non-Amazonians to afford the increased cost of renting here? Thanks! I feel better now!
That tends to happen in a competitive wage environment where unemployment drops. You should feel better.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well I'm more concerned with an ever tightening rental market and further gentrification. I have nothing against 50k good paying jobs because that means more money in the pockets of working people which goes back into the economy.

Of course the real issue, which has been for the past 15 or more years, is the skyrocketing housing, healthcare and education costs while wages have either stagnated or declined for millions of working people. The standard of living for most Americans has fallen, millions in the lower brackets are doing worse than before.
While I agree healthcare and education costs are bizarrely out of whack, housing remains fairly level except in certain pockets of the country. Pittsburgh has a long way to go before I believe there is a housing issue. Plus, Amazon moving in to the region would provide a level of confidence in multifamily builders to start funding any and every new apartment possible to get a piece of the pie, which would open up more options, plus depressed areas could see further renovation and improvement as newcomers seek heritage properties.

Infrastructure would be taxed (roads and utilities) but hopefully with such a big influx of corporate presence, money would be found to start really overhauling, vs tentative patching here and there. It would boost confidence in revitalizing the city vs. continued fear of aging out. I see benefits outweighing costs of such a large move.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 PM

147 posts, read 182,494 times
Quote:
While I agree healthcare and education costs are bizarrely out of whack, housing remains fairly level except in certain pockets of the country. Pittsburgh has a long way to go before I believe there is a housing issue. Plus, Amazon moving in to the region would provide a level of confidence in multifamily builders to start funding any and every new apartment possible to get a piece of the pie, which would open up more options, plus depressed areas could see further renovation and improvement as newcomers seek heritage properties.

Infrastructure would be taxed (roads and utilities) but hopefully with such a big influx of corporate presence, money would be found to start really overhauling, vs tentative patching here and there. It would boost confidence in revitalizing the city vs. continued fear of aging out. I see benefits outweighing costs of such a large move.
Isn't infrastructure always the thorn in the side of any plans to open up shop here in Pittsburgh? It's not exactly the most infrastructure friendly imo

Living in Pgh is a nightmare for commutes and such, adding more people in the mix would make things worse.

So I don't disagree with what you say, but its more so threading the needle...

Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,941,602 times
Quote:
Isn't infrastructure always the thorn in the side of any plans to open up shop here in Pittsburgh? It's not exactly the most infrastructure friendly imo

Living in Pgh is a nightmare for commutes and such, adding more people in the mix would make things worse.

So I don't disagree with what you say, but its more so threading the needle...
You realize a lot of these jobs will go to people who already live in Pittsburgh, right? And 50,000 is a long-term number. Amazon is it going to bring 50,000 people into the city overnight. If they chose a city location much of its millennial workforce will choose to live in walking-distance, biking-distance or a short bus ride from the office.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,879,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Dallas lacks top universities and has poor transit. I would be really, really surprised if Amazon chose that location.
You have never been to Texas, have you? All those techies from Austin would only need to relocate 3 hours up the road and use the biggest light rail system in the country to get to HQ2 on a daily basis.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,941,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You have never been to Texas, have you? All those techies from Austin would only need to relocate 3 hours up the road and use the biggest light rail system in the country to get to HQ2 on a daily basis.
I lived there for three yers. The techies in Austin LIKE Austin, and they already have jobs there.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,597,754 times
Quote:

"Well I'm more concerned with an ever tightening rental market and further gentrification."

Pittsburgh has many nice neighborhoods that fit the description you gave, but it also has so many abandoned and blighted communities that gentrification should not even be seen as a negative consideration. Look at the Hill District, Uptown, nearby Braddock, nearby McKeesport, etc. Gentrification is EXACTLY what those communities need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh