Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Everyone, please let's try to stay back on topic and not be derailed to someone who joined the account who posts the exact same trollish comments as those who have been banned.

Back to Pittsburgh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 11:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Everyone, please let's try to stay back on topic and not be derailed to someone who joined the account who posts the exact same trollish comments as those who have been banned.

Back to Pittsburgh...
Sorry, it’s hard though.

In regards to Pittsburgh, maybe we can be the place that we accept the new jobs and use that growth to give us the tools (aka tax money and more ancillary jobs) that come with it to craft a place that works for everyone. Housing funds, better transportation, and investments in education and job retraining.

We can’t just keep writing off the areas and the people will lower skill sets because it will cause disruption. The disruption is already here. These people are falling behind already and I would think our answer shouldn’t be to try to turn back the clock and slow the inevitable. Rather we should run with it, and use the change to create change for everyone. We have other case studies on what to do and what not to do. Throwing up your hands and saying there is no way we can do it is not really the Pittsburgh way. We have survived rapid and then slowed decline, so that shouldn’t scare us off from slow and perhaps rapid growth and change.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
In regards to Pittsburgh, maybe we can be the place that we accept the new jobs and use that growth to give us the tools (aka tax money and more ancillary jobs) that come with it to craft a place that works for everyone. Housing funds, better transportation, and investments in education and job retraining.

We can’t just keep writing off the areas and the people will slower skill sets because it will cause disruption. The disruption is already here. These people are falling behind already and I would think our answer shouldn’t be to try to turn back the clock and slow the inevitable. Rather we should run with it, and use the change to create change for everyone. We have other case studies on what to do and what not to do. Throwing up your hands and saying there is no way we can do it is not really the Pittsburgh way. We have survived rapid and then slowed decline, so that shouldn’t scare us off from slow and perhaps rapid growth and change. s
You responded to me, but your response is not what I am referring. I am merely noting that someone specifically joined city data and has made similar comments as previous people who were banned for trolling the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Please read up on and understand the concept of "employment multiplier ". Amazon would not just add direct jobs. Many other jobs would be created at all skill levels. Most of these can be filled by locals. Startup business opportunities would abound.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM

369 posts, read 463,107 times
These comparisons between Seattle and Pittsburgh - as if to suggest all of Seattle's problems will be reproduced in Pittsburgh - are ridiculous.

Seattle was and is a boom town even without Amazon. Their MSA population in 1990 (4 years before Amazon started) was under 2.6 million. Today it is 3.8 million. Amazon's contribution to the additional 1.2 million is just a fraction of the overall growth. Boeing, Microsoft, Expedia, Starbucks, Nordstrom, a booming cruise and tourism industry, and two airline hubs are all things Seattle has that Pittsburgh doesn't.

With Boeing, Nintendo, Microsoft, and others Seattle was a tech city long before Amazon took off. Microsoft will be making its own major expansion in Seattle:
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...edmond-campus/
All of the companies and factors I listed contribute to Seattle's bad traffic, housing prices, and whatever else one deems to be bad. Seattle would still be having these issues without Amazon. Maybe not quite as bad, but they would be problems nonetheless.

Pittsburgh has great bones and does not have 1.2 million extra residents that Seattle added, nor will we add that many if Amazon chooses Pittsburgh. You can make a comparison of positives and negatives in whatever neighborhood Amazon would chose in Pittsburgh to that of Lake Union (Where Amazon is located in Seattle) to see the impact in the immediate vicinity, which most of the articles seem to do. But that is only one or two neighborhoods in a bigger picture that should include the entire region. Also, the latest articles I read now state these 50,000 jobs would be added over a course of 17 years. Seems like good steady growth to me.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:36 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You do realize all these people will need to eat, need hvac guys, plumbers, landscapers, buy new cars, get drinks, hire attorneys, go to events, go to the hospital, pay taxes & visit accountants, etc etc. But because some hypothetical 45 year old who apparently has obtained zero marketable skills in any relevant area Pittsburgh should shun a large scale economic influx? Makes sense.
Right, there was an interview on the radio the other day with the former union leader from the Carrier plant in Indy that's been in the news. One of the points he made is that the loss of plant jobs definitely had a ripple effect on landlords, grocery stores, restaurants, retail, etc. It makes sense that the job opportunities from a major employer like Amazon reach beyond just work at Amazon.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassyone View Post
Is this the multiplier affect you speak of? More welfare and food stamps?

https://newrepublic.com/article/1465...xpayer-dollars
There's a very strong work ethic in Pittsburgh. I suspect if you developed that, your negativity would be cured.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:10 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Also, the latest articles I read now state these 50,000 jobs would be added over a course of 17 years. Seems like good steady growth to me.
Right, that works out, if the job addition is linear, to just 3,000 jobs per year. Pittsburgh should be able to absorb that.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Please read up on and understand the concept of "employment multiplier ". Amazon would not just add direct jobs. Many other jobs would be created at all skill levels. Most of these can be filled by locals. Startup business opportunities would abound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassyone View Post
Is this the multiplier affect you speak of? More welfare and food stamps?

https://newrepublic.com/article/1465...xpayer-dollars
The article you posted has nothing at all to do with the employment multiplier he was referring to, & in fact is purely an article about low paying warehouse jobs & nothing relevant to this discussion at all.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Sensitive much? There are more people that share these concerns than you realize. There is nothing wrong disagreeing, but calling somebody a troll or trying to get them banned is immature.

When you pray for rain you have to deal with the mud. I don’t see amazon as this be all end all savior. I think it will be a nightmare wherever they choose to go. What concerns me is how it affects me as a taxpayer. The secrecy of the Pittsburgh bid makes me think we are all gonna be bent over the barrel. Healthy discussion and back and forth is needed.

There is nothing more Pittsburgh than that....
No dear and no need for the juvenile comment.
I'm merely calling it out. Please don't engage in straw men. Regulars here have been discussing the good and bad of the region for years.

Quote:
The secrecy of the Pittsburgh bid makes me think we are all gonna be bent over the barrel. Healthy discussion and back and forth is needed.

Your tell is that you say that you are "concerned" about the "secrecy" of the Pittsburgh bid. Pittsburgh wasn't the only city with a secret bid. Many bids were at least partially secret. There are nearly 20 cities that made the cut. Over 200 made bids, but you joined right when the announcement was made and ALL of you posts are here.

Nothing Pittsburgh did stands out. Nobody honestly believe that PA will offer anywhere as much as some other places. Jersey offered several billion. Atlanta and GA will give them the keys to the state treasury, as will others.

Yet, you exclusively post here.

Last edited by JoeP; 01-21-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh