Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:25 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times

Advertisements

Anyone else hate it? What does Pittsburgh radio need? What are your favorite stations (past or present)

I am starting to listen to WYEP now because it doesn't sound like other stations, yet it will still play some classic rock and well known artists, but has a huge concentration on up and comers and lesser known musicians.

Worst stations: THe X (that is not alternative) and Kiss FM (too much rap)

I still like WDVE's Electric Lunch, even though people are requesting songs that "they haven't heard in a while" like "Magic Carpet Ride" , but they d throw something good in there at times.

I miss WXXP, WYDD, 97 Rock and The Force. (RIP)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Anyone else hate it? What does Pittsburgh radio need? What are your favorite stations (past or present)

I am starting to listen to WYEP now because it doesn't sound like other stations, yet it will still play some classic rock and well known artists, but has a huge concentration on up and comers and lesser known musicians.

I still like WDVE's Electric Lunch, even though people are requesting songs that "they haven't heard in a while" like "Magic Carpet Ride" , but they d throw something good in there at times.

In my opinion -- radio is in trouble. Just like TV, radio has been severely fractured by the number of choices available, and it hasn't kept up. It's a dinosaur.

My husband runs a very small pro wrestling outfit out here in California (REAL small) and he checked into ad rates. He can buy Comcast cable advertising for 150-250 a spot and choose where to put it. He can buy Astound cable advertising for WAY cheaper, but it has no reach. Radio starts at 500 for a drive time spot.

And with radio you HAVE to buy multiple spots, because of the media style -- people are listening in their cars and not really listening, it's background -- you have to repeat your message. Wonder why you hear an ad that repeats the phone number 5-7 times in the spot? That's why.

IN their days, when radio was king they could command those rates, but now, they need the cash to support their infrastructure and staffs they have... and the ad sales staff have to cannibalize each other to get anywhere. (I have a nephew that did that for a while).

That's also behind the frequent format changes with no notice. And the seemingly insane things they do.

Many years ago, we had a woman who was ruling morning drive out here, aside from the two news/talk stations. She had the number one slot in some core demos -- but the rest of the station wasn't pulling. After 10 AM they experienced major drops....

So they went to a hip-hop format... and fired the number three drive time DJ, with skyrocketing ratings in the vaunted 18-34 male demo. How is that NOT shooting yourself in the foot? The station TANKED.... and is still pulling in less than a 3 share, after 12 years.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM

13 posts, read 49,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

I agree. Pittsburgh radio has been on a steady decline for years now. Some blame it on the popularity of satellite radio. That's a valid point, but I think corporate greed has a lot to do with it as well. When radio stations were more down to earth, things were good. But once a big corporate slant was put on things, the downfall began.
But the biggest thing that's led to all of this is the downloading of music.
It's far more convenient to load up your MP3 player and use it, as opposed to having to listen to lots of stuff you don't want to hear before you get to a song you like. Not to mention the fact that most on air personalities are sadly lacking in personality; and humor.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
I'd agree with you. The X is the worst "alternative" station I've ever heard. Metallica is not alternative , and playing a single random old song from the Cure on Sunday morning does not give you any credibility as such. I've become a big fan of WYEP and have contributed to them just because they at least seem to care about both music and listener feedback.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 AM

149 posts, read 608,387 times
I'm glad you mentioned past and present! I do believe my parents have their kitchen radio permanently set to KDKA still (and have for the past 50 years). I still have that farkleberry tart song in my head after all this time!

Anyone remember "Jimmy & Stevie" from DVE? And we had to answer our phones with something for DVE to win prizes (???)

Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueJ999 View Post
I'm glad you mentioned past and present! I do believe my parents have their kitchen radio permanently set to KDKA still (and have for the past 50 years). I still have that farkleberry tart song in my head after all this time!

Anyone remember "Jimmy & Stevie" from DVE? And we had to answer our phones with something for DVE to win prizes (???)
Start your heart, eat a farkleberry tart, and tear the world apart *Farkle-berry TART*!

Oh yes -- and I remember the day Jack Bogut screwed it up and said Tarkleberry Fa... and caught himself. We were all screaming with laughter!

Are you old enough to remember Ed and Wendy King's Party Line? And the October ghost stories Ed would read in that wonderful voice of his? Scared me to sleep every October....

Which brings me to the other thing -- why not radio dramas? We need radio dramas! (And no -- I'm not old enough to remember them.... but I remember CBS trying to revive them in the 70's... and I loved it!)

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-16-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 49,054 times
I definitely remember Ed and Wendy King. My parents played KDKA almost constantly. It was always a battle in our house when it came to which station was gonna be on. Luckily, us kids eventually got our own radios. LOL

I was only a kid in the 60's but I can still remember how good Pittsburgh radio was back then. KQV was the official rock n' roll station; adding DVE to cash in on the new FM popularity. KDKA was for adults, but still had some cool stuff for the younger crowd. WTAE was somewhere in the middle.
And since AM radio was king at that time, at night you could pick up other good stations from all over the country.

An added plus to all of that was the huge amount of music being put out back then. At that time, Rock N' Roll output was out of control. The stations back then were also daring... playing local favorites right alongside of national hits. I don't remember radio ever being better than at that time; going right into the early 70's.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
I stick to Wish 99.7

WAMO and B-94 (now gone) used to be my staples in the past. Such a shame, such a shame.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
igo

39 posts, read 134,782 times
I listen to the x, but it just annoys me the they play the same songs over and over.

I also like Pitt's radio station 92.1 wpts (the mostly play indie rock). Unfortunately the signal is only good for 5 miles.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I stick to Wish 99.7

WAMO and B-94 (now gone) used to be my staples in the past. Such a shame, such a shame.
B94 has been back for a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh