Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
you are biased though...20 minutes to the airport is ambitious even without traffic. the t is convenient though but still takes a half hour to get downtown.
Haha, yeah maybe 30 min to airport. Not sure how I feel about the Potomac Avenue makeover. Some demo-ing to occur. But I wouldn't mind seeing the gyro place and "import" stores go bye bye. It was sad that DeWalts health store, Sterling Yoga and Sugar Cafe go.

PS. Saturday, September 29 is Dormont Street Party on Potomac Avenue. Maybe the OP can stop by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 PM

112 posts, read 161,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
you are biased though...20 minutes to the airport is ambitious even without traffic. the t is convenient though but still takes a half hour to get downtown.
I was being sarcastic in the first part of my comment. I'm biased of course since I live in Dormont.

The T could be faster, I agree.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Haha, yeah maybe 30 min to airport. Not sure how I feel about the Potomac Avenue makeover. Some demo-ing to occur. But I wouldn't mind seeing the gyro place and "import" stores go bye bye. It was sad that DeWalts health store, Sterling Yoga and Sugar Cafe go.

PS. Saturday, September 29 is Dormont Street Party on Potomac Avenue. Maybe the OP can stop by.

Am I the only one who is extremely disappointed that they removed the large old trees from Potomac during the makeover? It looks so barren now.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Am I the only one who is extremely disappointed that they removed the large old trees from Potomac during the makeover? It looks so barren now.
I know! The lame new mayor, Ben Estell (never a resident of this state until he was hired, and lives in Mount Lebanon because Dormont isn't good enough for him....) reasoned that the 35+ year old trees were "non-native" and near the end of their lives anyway. WTF? They were healthy!

All work being done on Potomac Avenue is for the new property owner foot doctor who plans to demo a couple buildings he recently purchased for a brew pub and garage. I'm all for small business but the new mayor and council have been bought and sold by this developer it appears.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 PM

807 posts, read 617,212 times
Quote:
That was my initial reaction as well, although I think the responsible borough officials have made a good faith argument for why the trees needed to go. Moreover, at this point, with the project nearly completed and new hanging lights strung from the street lamps, I have come to appreciate how the tree removal has opened up a throroughfare that possibly seems claustrophobic in retrospect.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The lame new mayor, Ben Estell (never a resident of this state until he was hired, and lives in Mount Lebanon because Dormont isn't good enough for him....)
Wait what? He ran for mayor from out of state? Does he literally live in Mt. Lebanon, or does he claim to split time between a legal residence in Dormont?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Wait what? He ran for mayor from out of state? Does he literally live in Mt. Lebanon, or does he claim to split time between a legal residence in Dormont?

He is not the mayor, he was hired in 2015 as the borough manager when he was still residing in East Liverpool. It's a non-elected job and his contract is posted on the Dormont website. No where in that contract does it say he must live in Dormont.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
He is not the mayor, he was hired in 2015 as the borough manager when he was still residing in East Liverpool. It's a non-elected job and his contract is posted on the Dormont website. No where in that contract does it say he must live in Dormont.
I meant manager of course, but ya think if the guy is dictating things to Dormont residents he could at least have the decency to set up shop there. Only makes sense. Telling us why we need to remove the trees from his abode in Lebo. Just not right.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 13,694 times
4% transfer tax in the city...is that a secret or something? Also, I may possibly be wrong, but on the house I looked at, when I checked the county records, the 18,000 Homestead exemption is not deducted from your township or school assessment. Therefore, it only saves you about 150$, per year.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 13,326 times
To the best of my knowledge the school district rates are based on the county assessed value which has the exemption value removed from it. I just got the exemption applied this year so I'd have to check to confirm that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh