Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:36 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I might the only one who doesn't know what LA is. I guess I understand if it's a bad term and you don't want to write it out.
Let's hear what LA means, give us a hint Pat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
Okay. Please know that I am not a racist and strive to love all people regardless of race or gender. Little Africa. There.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:21 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Okay. Please know that I am not a racist and strive to love all people regardless of race or gender. Little Africa. There.
No surprise there. White flight was real.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Larimer Avenue

Old 09-29-2017, 01:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Yes, I don't blame you personally Pat, but that's really sad. For what it's worth, the fact that the North side is one of the most racially diverse and integrated parts of Pittsburgh (at least in the areas where we like to go) was one of the big reasons why we live here, and I know many other residents who feel the same way.

I do think this area will rebound in a good way eventually, but I am glad the process isn't happening too quickly because I don't want the long term residents to get pushed out. Of course in some parts of the Northside that's exactly what is happening, but that's why I don't mind if some other areas are somewhat stagnant.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Looking at this area from the maps, now I'm sure my dr. and dentist were not in this area. They were definitely up in Observatory Hill area. Was the old Columbus School in this area or was that a bit farther north? I remember that the school burned and for a year or two they were in an upper hallway at Oliver High. I guess they rebuilt? Maybe I'm in the wrong area?

Anyway, this part of the city you are talking about, we were always afraid to drive in there. They had a bad term for it LA if you know what I'm talking about... I find it sad that any of our city areas goes downhill. What is it, just poverty or lack of pride? If only we knew...
Well I will try this one last time since you completely ignored my post to you on the other thread you were talking about your dentist. WAS THIS THE PLACE? It was a dentist office years ago. I know the area well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4671...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-30-2017, 11:34 AM

Oh gg I'm sorry. Thought I had seen all those posts, somehow missed yours. Wow, this place doesn't look familiar at all. There is so much vegetation there now and I remember it as a very straight stretch of road with houses not joined but very close together. I can't remember if the houses were up on a terrace but those across the street definitely were. It was Dr. Dola or maybe Dolah? Medical Dr. was Dr. Wallace. Dr. Dola moved to Evans City when he retired, he had an ear disease, that's all I know about him.

Places change. When we did get back up there 15 years ago, we looked at a place my sister had lived in Cranberry and I hardly recognized it, everything was so green and the trees all mature, etc.

Plus, the cobblestone streets are gone and all the streetcar tracks. Now I'm really wondering where they were. Just curious about it I guess.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:28 PM

I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit. I did call my sister who remembers more than I do about the area. She didn't move away as early as I did. She says our dr. & dentist were both a few blocks down Perrysville Ave from Bascom. So, mystery solved!

Old 02-14-2022, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 252 times
City-data.com appears to be an official website with statistics and analysis, but this review contains unnecessary negative personal judgments, such as: "a weird backwoods vibe." and "an unfortunate amount of mid-century remuddling".

I love living here. It is green, you get exercise walking your dog on the hills, you can walk through woods, there are community gardens, the housing is still affordable, there are vacant homes that can be renovated, and there are a lot of great people. Plus, its racially and economically diverse, which is rare.

Last edited by ilmnsbnti; 02-14-2022 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: add information

Old 02-14-2022, 12:39 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Just discovered the Charles Street valley a couple years ago. An interesting little part of the city. Not sure if Breadworks is officially of it. But heck been a Pittsburgh lifer and still haven't seen all parts of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh