U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 AM

3,214 posts, read 3,123,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
embrace the differences of our food here. I suggest stopping by fatheads and grabbing a headwhich ( and a beer). Welcome to Pittsburgh.
Fatheads is a Cleveland brewery so a better suggestion would be Primanti's.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 09-28-2017 at 04:44 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 05:45 AM

6 posts, read 4,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Fatheads is a Cleveland brewery so a better suggestion would be Primanti's.
Partially right, but your message is all wrong. Fat Heads Pub opened in the South Side in 1992 while the brewery in Ohio opened in 2009.

Fat Heads is as quintessentially Pittsburgh as it gets.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 4,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
First of all welcome to Pittsburgh! Secondly, I spend a lot of time on the eastern half of the state with family in Philadelphia and Norristown, and sadly these are the three things (and add to that list a good roast pork sandwich) that I stock up on while there because they are much better there than here or, in the case of tomato pie and roast pork, aren't even available here unfortunately.

Hoagie rolls should be available in most bakeries or supermarkets but they won't be the kind you're used to. When I first moved here the best I could find were still "squishy" to me.

Cheesteaks are hard. The closest I had found was Southside Steaks when it first opened but it kind of went downhill and now it's reopened under a new name. I think The Groove. Haven't tried it though. I want to love Peppis but it's nothing like a steak sandwich from eastern PA. Stingy with the meat and again, the roll is too bready.

People look at you funny here when you mention tomato pie. Nobody's heard of it afaik.

For the record I'm comparing the hoagie rolls/tomato pie to Corropolese in Norristown, cheesesteaks to Dalesandros in Roxborough and roast pork to John's.
I highly recommend the roast pork sandwich from Streets on Carson in the Southside. They have a lot of really good things on their menu, but i always come back to this sandwich. Cool place in general.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpujol View Post
Partially right, but your message is all wrong. Fat Heads Pub opened in the South Side in 1992 while the brewery in Ohio opened in 2009.

Fat Heads is as quintessentially Pittsburgh as it gets.
Seems odd to promote a brewery that is 50% Pittsburgh when there are other establishments that are 100% home grown. Did Primanti's lose it's trendiness?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:17 AM

640 posts, read 589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpujol View Post
I highly recommend the roast pork sandwich from Streets on Carson in the Southside. They have a lot of really good things on their menu, but i always come back to this sandwich. Cool place in general.
Thanks for this - I checked out the menu and it is the Philadelphia style with broccoli rabe and provolone! Very excited to try this.

Have you tried the cheesesteak?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 AM

1,512 posts, read 973,511 times
Quote:
Seems odd to promote a brewery that is 50% Pittsburgh when there are other establishments that are 100% home grown. Did Primanti's lose it's trendiness?
It is trendy to hate on old pittsburgh blue collar establishments. Primanti's fits this bill. The new pittsburghers are "above" this.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,065,399 times
Quote:
Sorry but fat heads was a Pittsburgh established company. just because they expanded outward with the brewery does not make them any less Pittsburgh to me. And I was promoting the sandwiches really, just said get a beer because they do that very well also.

primanti brothers has 3 locations in Florida ya know, so I guess they are not 100% Pittsburgh either.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,161,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
primanti brothers has 3 locations in Florida ya know, so I guess they are not 100% Pittsburgh either.
Though they do have locations scattered across Western Pennsylvania, they've also recently expanded to York and Lancaster.. and also apparently Scranton.
Locations - Primanti Bros. Restaurants

Old 09-28-2017, 09:24 AM
gg

21,103 posts, read 20,189,403 times
Quote:
Did Primanti's lose it's trendiness?
I just want to throw this in the mix. If you go to Primanti's, DO NOT get the cheesesteak. It isn't very good at all. I would recommend the pastrami or corned beef. There are other sandwiches that are also good there, but the cheesesteak isn't one of them, IMHO.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
It is trendy to hate on old pittsburgh blue collar establishments. Primanti's fits this bill. The new pittsburghers are "above" this.
I thought that might be the case. Primanti's isn't a hipster brewery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh